Twins 2011

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Twins 2011

Post by dead_poet »

Twins Shocked To Learn You Can Score 2 Runs In Same Play
MINNEAPOLIS—The fourth-place Minnesota Twins finally came to realize baseball teams can score more than one run in a single play when, in the fifth inning of their 4-6 loss to the Cleveland Indians last Monday, they witnessed their opponents do just that. “It doesn’t seem like it should be allowed,” said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire, who ran out of the dugout to protest when he saw two Cleveland players touch home plate. “We’ve never tried to pull anything like that. Quite frankly, it looks pretty hard. First off, you’d almost have to be in a situation where two people were on base, and then if you could manage that, a hitter would have to hit the ball so far away from the fielders that there would be little chance of getting it back to the catcher before the second runner reached home plate. Sounds crazy to me.” Though he admitted the team still did not quite understand how scoring multiple runs works, Gardenhire called it a “cheap gimmick” and said the Twins would not attempt it anytime soon.
http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/artic ... sam,20989/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Twins Shocked To Learn You Can Score 2 Runs In Same Play

:lol: :lol:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

dead_poet wrote:Twins Shocked To Learn You Can Score 2 Runs In Same Play

Pretty much sums up what I think of Guardy. Sad thing, the article might be true.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

Apparently the Twins are trying to finish a deal that will send Denard Span to the nationals for Drew Storen
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Now its our time wrote:Apparently the Twins are trying to finish a deal that will send Denard Span to the nationals for Drew Storen
Heard otherwise. They were making a play for him, but the Twins do not want to give him up unless they give them an offer that is too good to refuse. They are also making a play for Revere and even some minor league CFs.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Now its our time wrote:Apparently the Twins are trying to finish a deal that will send Denard Span to the nationals for Drew Storen

That's stupid. Span is one of our best players. Him, Cuddyer, Repko, and Revere would be great in the OF. We need pitching, but this would be a dumb move, IMO. I'd rather see what we can get for Young.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
That's stupid. Span is one of our best players. Him, Cuddyer, Repko, and Revere would be great in the OF. We need pitching, but this would be a dumb move, IMO. I'd rather see what we can get for Young.

Stupid move, so it'll likely happen. I doubt the Twins could get a bat boy for Young. He came into last season looking good, in shape, and had a good year. This season, put all the weight back on, forgot how to play. He is frustrating. They probably have to give him away. On ESPN this morning the Baseball Tonight guys mentioned the Twins trading Cuddy to the Braves.........THAT would piss me off.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

purple guy wrote:Stupid move, so it'll likely happen. I doubt the Twins could get a bat boy for Young. He came into last season looking good, in shape, and had a good year. This season, put all the weight back on, forgot how to play. He is frustrating. They probably have to give him away. On ESPN this morning the Baseball Tonight guys mentioned the Twins trading Cuddy to the Braves.........THAT would piss me off.
Twins went on record saying that neither Kubel nor Cuddyer were on the trading block this season.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Very glad they didn't pull the trigger on that Span trade to the Nats. We need some bullpen help but not at the expense of a solid top-of-the-order outfielder. Hopefully he's not screwed from his concussion the same way Morneau was with his. We could use him back.

A little disappointed they didn't make any moves. Do Young and Slowey have zero trade value? Why not trade Kubel? I know the trade deadline was today, but they can still make moves right?
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

HornedMessiah wrote:A little disappointed they didn't make any moves. Do Young and Slowey have zero trade value? Why not trade Kubel? I know the trade deadline was today, but they can still make moves right?
Guys have to clear waivers, so it gets a lot harder. Any rival of a team trying to make a trade for one of them would probably block it.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

glg wrote: Guys have to clear waivers, so it gets a lot harder. Any rival of a team trying to make a trade for one of them would probably block it.
I wondered how that worked after the trade deadline. To clear waivers, do only teams with worse records have a shot to block it, or does it have to go through all teams?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote: I wondered how that worked after the trade deadline. To clear waivers, do only teams with worse records have a shot to block it, or does it have to go through all teams?

All teams.
I am pissed that no moves were made. Smith did the only thing worse than a bad move, he did no move. ####. I can't believe that we couldn't get a reliever for Slowey, Blackburn, or Young.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I suppose they still have the pipe dream that they still can win the division.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

Trading a cost controlled player at a premium position for an effing closer would have been unthinkably stupid.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Extension offered, but Cuddyer waits
Knowing Michael Cuddyer can become a free agent at season's end, the Twins recently approached him about a contract extension, and two people familiar with the discussions said the team floated a trial balloon: two years for $16 million.

The conversations went no further, the two sources said, with Cuddyer focused on getting the Twins back to the playoffs and preferring to hold those negotiations in the offseason...

...Cuddyer, 32, is making $10.5 million this season, so $8 million per year would represent a pay cut. The last time he signed a deal with the Twins, in January 2008, it was a three-year, $24 million deal. The deal included an option for this year, which the Twins picked up following the 2009 season.

Last offseason, Cuddyer's agent, Casey Close, made multiple overtures to the Twins, hoping to spur discussions on a new contract, but the team opted to let this play out through the season.

Until recently, both sides had expressed a desire to wait until after the season to begin any negotiations. Cuddyer has made it very clear he would like to remain with the Twins, but he figures to have many suitors on the free-agent market.
Ugh.........this is probably Cuddy's last year with the team. No way the Twins match or beat the offers he's likely to get. They should have extended him before the season started.

Pull that POS Nishioka off the field and let Cuddy play SS. You know he'd do a better job at it.