XBOX or PS3?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

BGM
Hall of Famer

XBOX or PS3?

Post by BGM »

So, I am seriously considering investing on one of these consoles. The games I prefer and am looking forward to playing are Madden and Red Dead Redemption. Since they are available on both consoles, no edge there. They both are able to stream from Netflix, I believe, so no edge there. The PS 3 has a 160 GB HDD and the XBox has a 4 GB HDD (although I know bigger HDDs are available for each, I am looking at the base models for now). I am not much for online gaming, so that doesn;t affect me much. Also, with the HDDs, can you load CD music onto each as on a computer HDD?

I have a regular TV, no LCD or LED yet.

So, knowing what I am looking for, are there any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Re: XBOX or PS3?

Post by Now its our time »

I've also wanted to get one of these too...But idk which one,I would probably just go with the cheaper one but that's just me. Do you have other consoles?
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Last console I had was a Wii, but I am not interested in the games for the Wii.

Price is not really the issue for me. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

I don't know then, I've sampled both. For me it would be 360 because those controls for are similar to the PS2,which I have...I can't help you now lol. I would say just find friends you know have those systems and try them out if you can
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I have an xbox and have never really had an issue to complain about. Seems like all that really matters are console specific titles.
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

NEITHER! go pick up an old NES or Atari 2600 and get drunk while playing each game you "mastered" while younger! :P
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

both are great. we have a ps3 in the living room and my son has a 360 upstairs. honestly it comes down to console specific games and personal preference. i like the ps3 way better because i have been playing playstation forever and i'm comfortable with the controllers. also, online play is free on the ps3 and it costs money to play online on the 360 although not much. really you can't go wrong with either. i mainly stick to sports games and tiger so ps3 works just fine for me.
i'm ready for a beer.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

I have both systems. One upstairs and one downstairs. Both are relative bargains when you consider all the features they bring to the table.

Gaming wise, it's basically a wash. It comes down to the titles on both systems and your personal preference for the respective controllers. I like the Xbox controllers and thus any game that's available on both systems (ie Madden for me) I get for it 360. The above comment about more games being in 1080p for Xbox is actually incorrect. More PS3 games support native 1080p output. The first generation of 360s actually didn't even support 1080p output. That has since been rectified in subsequent hardware and firmware updates. However, since you don't have an HDTV, none of that is important to you anyways :wink: .

Both are easy to setup as a media extender though I'd give the 360 the slightest of edges there. Not a difference maker though. You asked if you can store music on the devices. Yes you most certainly can. But the solution I think most people go for is to keep their music on their computer and access it over your home network with your game console /media extender.

The built in WiFi is definitely a major plus for the PS3 in my books. If you want your XBox to be wireless you need to buy an adapter that price gauges the crap out of you. $50-$100 for a piece of $10 hardware. Pretty ridiculous.

The BluRay player is nice for sure, but again, without an HDTV it won't provide a substantial upgrade in visual quality over DVDs. If you have a modern sound system however you can take advantage of the new uncompressed audio codecs (Dolby True HD and DTS-HD) which are significant improvements over their predecessors.

If you like baseball, The Show series could be a deal breaker. It's the best sports series out there IMO. It's exclusive to PS3. It really puts Madden to shame.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I've had a wii and an xbox 360. I've only messed around with the PS3 but considering my experience. I'd go PS3.

I'm not sure if the PS3 has monthly charges, but one thing that you mentioned is streaming netflix ... on the Xbox 360 you have to have a "Gold Membership" which entails a monthly fee. I don't think that's the case with PS3.

The XBox 360 (that was actually my room-mates) has needed to be fixed twice. Once while under warranty and once without. Both of the fixes were about $50. Side story to this; when we took the xbox 360 in to mail (in a plain brown box that was sent by microsoft) the guy at the post office knew exactly what we were mailing without it being marked because he sees 5-6 of them a week.

The better game edge *used* to belong to the xbox ... that's just no longer the case. I know it's got a better catalog of first person shooters ... but from my knowledge that's about where it stops.

The PS3 is more reliable, has better hardware, and doesn't try to nickle and dime you to death like Microsoft. Which isn't to say you couldn't dump just as much money into the PS3 if you wanted, but their base package is better.

I didn't actually own the xbox 360 that we had but I *will not* buy one of my own. I had a wii and wasn't impressed with the game selection but at least they let you do netflix for free. The PS3 really seems to be the best console out there right now. At least in my eyes.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

The new generation of XBoxes have proven to be every bit as reliable as PS3s. I'm guessing Cliff's experience probably stems from one of the first generation 360s that were prone to the "Red Ring of Death". It used to be a massive problem but nowadays you'd be pretty safe (assuming you buy new).

As a counter point, I've had my 360 for 3 years and have never had a problem. I've had my PS3 for 2 years and had to get the disc feeder fixed once. So mechanical problems are a reality for both.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Noxage wrote:The new generation of XBoxes have proven to be every bit as reliable as PS3s. I'm guessing Cliff's experience probably stems from one of the first generation 360s that were prone to the "Red Ring of Death". It used to be a massive problem but nowadays you'd be pretty safe (assuming you buy new).

As a counter point, I've had my 360 for 3 years and have never had a problem. I've had my PS3 for 2 years and had to get the disc feeder fixed once. So mechanical problems are a reality for both.
That's good to hear. I'm not up on which generations came out at what time but I will say the xbox 360 that I'm talking about was bought about 2 years ago. So it's hard telling.

I will say it wasn't the normal "red ring of death" ... I'm sure there are mechanical problems on both systems though. The issue with the xbox happened 3 months after purchase and then again about a year later. I don't live with the owner anymore so I don't know if he's had more issues or not.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think graphically, the PS3 gets the edge although it does vary by game. Online muliplayer, which is a real shame that you don't play, goes to the Xbox hands down. Xbox controller is also much better. I would go with the cheaper Xbox, the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the higher price tag of the PS3.

I would strongly consider at least trying multiplayer, especially if you're into first person shooters (call of duty, etc.), as you're missing out on a big part of the game.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

808vikingsfan wrote:
I didn't know that. Looking through my small stack of games, only a quarter of them support 1080P. Are you saying that XBOX has less 1080P games? (not that it matters much. Games still looks great even in 720P)
Indeed that is what I'm saying. XBox does not have a ton of games in 1080p. But you're right 720p is sometimes the way you should play anyways. The Show is an example of that. The framerate suffers sightly and they turn off a few of the subtle effects when playing it in native 1080p mode. It even says on the welcome screen: "Designed to be played at 720p" or something to that effect.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

S197 wrote:I think graphically, the PS3 gets the edge although it does vary by game. Online muliplayer, which is a real shame that you don't play, goes to the Xbox hands down. Xbox controller is also much better. I would go with the cheaper Xbox, the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the higher price tag of the PS3.

I would strongly consider at least trying multiplayer, especially if you're into first person shooters (call of duty, etc.), as you're missing out on a big part of the game.
Absolutely correct. Xbox Live is a tremendous service and puts the Playstation Network to shame. If you want to get into that, I'd definitely recommend Xbox live.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Noxage wrote: Absolutely correct. Xbox Live is a tremendous service and puts the Playstation Network to shame. If you want to get into that, I'd definitely recommend Xbox live.
If you're going to play online games and money isn't an object, ditch the consoles altogether and invest in a gaming rig. Aiming a FPS with a controller sucks : P