View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says 
Author Message
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:43 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Minneapolis
Post A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
"Greg Jennings? Seriously? I mean...he's ok. I bet if you gave me a Vikings jersey...I could cover Greg Jennings".

_________________
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.


Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 am
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
:lol:

I don't even get to listen to the first hour, some inane local twit talking about fargo high school sports. ooooh yay. And today? KFAN taken over by NDSU womens basketball. Gee, that'll pull in the ratings!


Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:43 am
Posts: 2250
Location: Minneapolis
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
It's not like talking Vikings would pull in any ratings

::Cue KFAN's rimshot sample & and deep voice "I Always Love That One"::

_________________
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.


Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Demi wrote:
:lol:

I don't even get to listen to the first hour, some inane local twit talking about fargo high school sports. ooooh yay. And today? KFAN taken over by NDSU womens basketball. Gee, that'll pull in the ratings!


The Dan Hammer Show has to be the worst idea The Fan up here has come up with. I literally get angry with my radio when I hop in the car at lunch time and hear his voice. :wallbang:


Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:13 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Demi - Heard on the radio today that Hammer is going back to TV (KVLY) and he starts on Monday. We may get that first hour of Common back as early as next week!


Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Darkwing wrote:
Demi - Heard on the radio today that Hammer is going back to TV (KVLY) and he starts on Monday. We may get that first hour of Common back as early as next week!


I heard that too! So happy. Hopefully they don't find some other yokel to waste an hour of the day on high school girls lacrosse or other nonsense.


Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:05 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:52 am
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, ND
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Demi wrote:
I heard that too! So happy. Hopefully they don't find some other yokel to waste an hour of the day on high school girls lacrosse or other nonsense.


Sorry to hijack this thread but it appears that Demi and my dreams are being dashed. From today's Fargo Forum

"Joel Heitkamp, operations manager for Radio Fargo-Moorhead, said the plan is to keep Hammer’s radio show local. Guest hosts will be used until a replacement can be found."


Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:12 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Darkwing wrote:
Demi wrote:
I heard that too! So happy. Hopefully they don't find some other yokel to waste an hour of the day on high school girls lacrosse or other nonsense.


Sorry to hijack this thread but it appears that Demi and my dreams are being dashed. From today's Fargo Forum

"Joel Heitkamp, operations manager for Radio Fargo-Moorhead, said the plan is to keep Hammer’s radio show local. Guest hosts will be used until a replacement can be found."


Belongs in the bar anyway. ;)

Are the ratings really that much better? That crap leads directly to me changing the station. I can't be the only one. And they're going to stick with it? Gah, some of these small town clowns sure are full of it. "Durp, of course people want to hear about Fargo high school athletics..." despite broadcasting outside of the area. And even then who cares about frickin' fargo force? Oh right they carry the games. arg this pisses me off after getting my hopes up.

They moved the Dan Patrick show from 2-5 to 12-3 so maybe I'll just listen to that and forget KFAN entirely. :wallbang:


Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:13 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:32 pm
Posts: 3382
Location: nodakoda
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
On today's show, he said that the Vikings should trade Peterson. His reasoning was that none of the final four teams this year have an "elite" RB on their rosters but they had elite QBs (well, Steelers and GB at least), therefore he thinks we should trade Peterson to get some ammo to land a franchise QB. ON TOP of that, he thought that we could MAYBE get a 1st rounder for him. :roll:

Sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking around and just trying to stir the pot, but I think he meant it. Talk about a preposterous statement.


Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 am
Posts: 8815
Location: Way Up North
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
HornedMessiah wrote:
On today's show, he said that the Vikings should trade Peterson. His reasoning was that none of the final four teams this year have an "elite" RB on their rosters but they had elite QBs (well, Steelers and GB at least), therefore he thinks we should trade Peterson to get some ammo to land a franchise QB. ON TOP of that, he thought that we could MAYBE get a 1st rounder for him. :roll:

Sometimes it's hard to tell when he's joking around and just trying to stir the pot, but I think he meant it. Talk about a preposterous statement.



There probably is not a QB in this draft worth AD. However, IF there was, Id be fine with it. AD is over rated IMO. He is good, but replaceable. Maybe a small step down when he gets replaced, but for a franchise QB, totally worth it IMO. Unfortunately, there is no QB worth it this year, and if there were, I doubt the Vikings would do it anyways. AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.


Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
purple guy wrote:
AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.


Are you talking about being overrated by the fans and the media, or other players and coaches? Because, seriously, the first two don't mean anything. You obviously have some issues regarding Peterson and that's fine, we all have players we like and don't like. I just don't see where he is overrated.

What matters is how coaches and players approach defending against him. Maybe you believe that they are buying into the hype as well, but all signs point to him being considered one of the best RBs in the NFL for good reason.

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1

There is not a running back in the NFL over that time who has produced at such a consistently high level. And to think it came in Childress' funked-up offensive vision. I do wonder what his production would have been like with Tennessee or Kansas City.

Some quotes from this season:

“He’s always dangerous,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Adrian Peterson is one of the, if not the best back in the league. It’s not always a guarantee if you’re 1-on-1 with him that you’re going to bring him down. You have to have guys swarming around him. As long as we’ve got 11 guys flying to that ball, we give ourselves a chance to get him down.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010 ... z1DUSXMD8i

"We don't want to lose sight of him," [Jets] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "It has always been our point of emphasis. If you can't stop the run, you're in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSlWsjs

"He's the best back in the league," Rex Ryan said. "The thing that gets me (is) he runs every time like it's going to be the last carry of his life. He is so competitive. He's had some fumble issues in the past, but it's because he's fighting like crazy for extra yardage.

"One guy is not going to do the trick," Ryan said of tackling Peterson. "We've got to get a bunch of guys over there on him and hit him with everything we've got."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSyyNMv

“He’s one of the hardest runners in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier,” outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “You’ve got to be ready for a guy like Adrian who can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball really hard. We’ve got to be physical and we’ve got to be physical up front, especially the front seven. That’s how we’ve always been.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... n-peterson

According to Profootballfocus.com, Peterson has forced more missed tackles (24) than any other running back in the league even though he's played one less game than most of them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUV9EQZl

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:33 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
Posts: 2814
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
lol. maybe he is overrated by the coaches and players too. which is a shame but at least when you are overrated by them you know they are planning for you, and you know your numbers are pretty good when you still kill it. i don't know what is overrated or what isn't, but i think a good rule of thumb is that if your "down" season is still about 1300 yards....you're an ok back in my book. :lol:

_________________
i'm ready for a beer.


Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 am
Posts: 8815
Location: Way Up North
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
BGM wrote:
purple guy wrote:
AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.


Are you talking about being overrated by the fans and the media, or other players and coaches? Because, seriously, the first two don't mean anything. You obviously have some issues regarding Peterson and that's fine, we all have players we like and don't like. I just don't see where he is overrated.

What matters is how coaches and players approach defending against him. Maybe you believe that they are buying into the hype as well, but all signs point to him being considered one of the best RBs in the NFL for good reason.

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1

There is not a running back in the NFL over that time who has produced at such a consistently high level. And to think it came in Childress' funked-up offensive vision. I do wonder what his production would have been like with Tennessee or Kansas City.

Some quotes from this season:

“He’s always dangerous,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Adrian Peterson is one of the, if not the best back in the league. It’s not always a guarantee if you’re 1-on-1 with him that you’re going to bring him down. You have to have guys swarming around him. As long as we’ve got 11 guys flying to that ball, we give ourselves a chance to get him down.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010 ... z1DUSXMD8i

"We don't want to lose sight of him," [Jets] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "It has always been our point of emphasis. If you can't stop the run, you're in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSlWsjs

"He's the best back in the league," Rex Ryan said. "The thing that gets me (is) he runs every time like it's going to be the last carry of his life. He is so competitive. He's had some fumble issues in the past, but it's because he's fighting like crazy for extra yardage.

"One guy is not going to do the trick," Ryan said of tackling Peterson. "We've got to get a bunch of guys over there on him and hit him with everything we've got."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSyyNMv

“He’s one of the hardest runners in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier,” outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “You’ve got to be ready for a guy like Adrian who can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball really hard. We’ve got to be physical and we’ve got to be physical up front, especially the front seven. That’s how we’ve always been.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... n-peterson

According to Profootballfocus.com, Peterson has forced more missed tackles (24) than any other running back in the league even though he's played one less game than most of them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUV9EQZl



He is good. And Im sure those players would have have made most of those quotes if they were interviewed/asked about CJ, A Foster, MJD, J Charles, Turner, R Rice, ect. Of course opposing D players are not going to give a good RB bulliten board material, doesnt mean much to me. Now, Im not saying he isnt good, he is. But he gets called maybe "one of the best ever", thats just plain stupid. He was 6th best in yards this season, usually has to come off on 3rd down becuase he cant figure out how to pass protect, and he usually comes up small in big places (see a few 4th and goals this season). Best ever, no way, he not even the best in the NFL currently. He is good, Im glad he is a Viking, but he is replaceable and to trade him for a franchise QB (even tho the draft is a crap shoot) would be a no brainer IMO, which was what I was responding to. The Vikings could find a RB that would fill his shoes, but without a QB, all ADs stats mean ####.


Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: Arizona
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
purple guy wrote:
BGM wrote:
purple guy wrote:
AD has to be one of the most over rated players in the league.


Are you talking about being overrated by the fans and the media, or other players and coaches? Because, seriously, the first two don't mean anything. You obviously have some issues regarding Peterson and that's fine, we all have players we like and don't like. I just don't see where he is overrated.

What matters is how coaches and players approach defending against him. Maybe you believe that they are buying into the hype as well, but all signs point to him being considered one of the best RBs in the NFL for good reason.

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1

There is not a running back in the NFL over that time who has produced at such a consistently high level. And to think it came in Childress' funked-up offensive vision. I do wonder what his production would have been like with Tennessee or Kansas City.

Some quotes from this season:

“He’s always dangerous,” linebacker Lance Briggs said. “Adrian Peterson is one of the, if not the best back in the league. It’s not always a guarantee if you’re 1-on-1 with him that you’re going to bring him down. You have to have guys swarming around him. As long as we’ve got 11 guys flying to that ball, we give ourselves a chance to get him down.”

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2010 ... z1DUSXMD8i

"We don't want to lose sight of him," [Jets] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. "It has always been our point of emphasis. If you can't stop the run, you're in trouble."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSlWsjs

"He's the best back in the league," Rex Ryan said. "The thing that gets me (is) he runs every time like it's going to be the last carry of his life. He is so competitive. He's had some fumble issues in the past, but it's because he's fighting like crazy for extra yardage.

"One guy is not going to do the trick," Ryan said of tackling Peterson. "We've got to get a bunch of guys over there on him and hit him with everything we've got."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUSyyNMv

“He’s one of the hardest runners in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier,” outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. “You’ve got to be ready for a guy like Adrian who can catch the ball out of the backfield, run the ball really hard. We’ve got to be physical and we’ve got to be physical up front, especially the front seven. That’s how we’ve always been.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... n-peterson

According to Profootballfocus.com, Peterson has forced more missed tackles (24) than any other running back in the league even though he's played one less game than most of them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1DUV9EQZl



He is good. And Im sure those players would have have made most of those quotes if they were interviewed/asked about CJ, A Foster, MJD, J Charles, Turner, R Rice, ect. Of course opposing D players are not going to give a good RB bulliten board material, doesnt mean much to me. Now, Im not saying he isnt good, he is. But he gets called maybe "one of the best ever", thats just plain stupid. He was 6th best in yards this season, usually has to come off on 3rd down becuase he cant figure out how to pass protect, and he usually comes up small in big places (see a few 4th and goals this season). Best ever, no way, he not even the best in the NFL currently. He is good, Im glad he is a Viking, but he is replaceable and to trade him for a franchise QB (even tho the draft is a crap shoot) would be a no brainer IMO, which was what I was responding to. The Vikings could find a RB that would fill his shoes, but without a QB, all ADs stats mean ####.


Hard to get a 4th and goal conversion when the line isn't getting any push. The broken tackles stat says it. AD has to break tackles to get a good run. All of those running backs you listed have a great OL. Better than the Vikings.

_________________
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer


Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 am
Posts: 8815
Location: Way Up North
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
And IF he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the best ever, he needs to make those TDs, he needs to break tackles, he needs to be an every down back, ect. To date, he isnt IMO. He can be exciting, but he isnt alone in that ability. He is a good RB. Nothing more.


Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: Arizona
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
I don't think you can just replace a RB like AD. I doubt even Chris Johnson, Turner, Rice etc. could get that many yards and TDs behind our line

_________________
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer


Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8071
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Peterson is a 8.5 out of 10 at best

No, he's a 9.5!

No, he's an 8.5!

No, he's a .... :sleep:

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:42 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 am
Posts: 8815
Location: Way Up North
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Cliff wrote:
Peterson is a 8.5 out of 10 at best

No, he's a 9.5!

No, he's an 8.5!

No, he's a .... :sleep:



But that post by you was pretty interesting. :roll:


Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:07 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8071
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
purple guy wrote:
Cliff wrote:
Peterson is a 8.5 out of 10 at best

No, he's a 9.5!

No, he's an 8.5!

No, he's a .... :sleep:



But that post by you was pretty interesting. :roll:


It was just a joke, nothing personal. ^_^

Please, by all means, continue the argument over if Peterson is merely just "good" or if he's "great".

Image

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
Cliff wrote:
purple guy wrote:
Cliff wrote:
Peterson is a 8.5 out of 10 at best

No, he's a 9.5!

No, he's an 8.5!

No, he's a .... :sleep:



But that post by you was pretty interesting. :roll:


It was just a joke, nothing personal. ^_^

Please, by all means, continue the argument over if Peterson is merely just "good" or if he's "great".

Image


Well, Cliff... it IS the OFF season, after all.

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8071
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
BGM wrote:

Well, Cliff... it IS the OFF season, after all.


:rofl:

Good point.

WABBIT SEASON!
DUCK SEASON!
WABBIT SEASON!
DUCK SEASON!
OFF SEASON!
FIRE!

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:39 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm
Posts: 6050
Post Re: A thread to discuss the insane things Common Man says
BGM wrote:

2010 RUSH 1,298 4.6 REC 36 341 9.5
2009 RUSH 1,383 4.4 REC 43 436 10.1
2008 RUSH 1,760 4.8 REC 21 125 6.0
2007 RUSH 1,341 5.6 REC 19 268 14.1


Barry Sanders' #s his first 4 years in the league. (What an "over-rated" HOFer) :P

Year Team G No. Yds. Av TD No. Yds. Avg. TD F
1989 Detroit 15 280 1470 5.3 14 24 282 11.8 0 10
1990 Detroit 16 255 1304 5.1 13 36 480 13.3 3 4
1991 Detroit 15 342 1548 4.5 16 41 307 7.5 1 5
1992 Detroit 16 312 1352 4.3 9 29 225 7.8 1 6

Adrian has 5782 Rushing Yards in 4 years (compared to Sanders' 5674 during the same point of their respective careers). In addition in year four - Peterson is averaging more ypc than Sanders did in his 4th year.

_________________
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!


Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.