Blyleven gets the call from Cooperstown

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Blyleven gets the call from Cooperstown

Post by PurpleMustReign »

On his 14th time on the ballot, Bert Blyleven has been elected to baseball's Hall of Fame. Blyleven received 79.7 percent of the votes cast by baseball writers, meaning that he will become the fourth Twins player to be enshrined.
FINALLY!!

What a huge joke that it took him this long to get in. Congratulations Bert, you are hereby circled!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Blyleven gets the call from Cooperstown

Post by vikeinmontana »

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

PurpleMustReign wrote: FINALLY!!

What a huge joke that it took him this long to get in. Congratulations Bert, you are hereby circled!!
:rock:

I would have been really pissed if he had to wait another year.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

DanAS wrote: :rock:

I would have been really pissed if he had to wait another year.
And if somehow they didn't elect him in the next year,he wouldn't be eligible anymore
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

From what I've been reading, there seems to be a pretty vocal group of baseball fans that don't like this year's inductees. Most admit that Alomar played like a HOFer but seem to think that he shouldn't get in because he wasn't exactly Mr. Personality (some would even call him a scumbag). Stupid.

There seems to be a lot of trash talking about Blyleven getting in. I'm not an intense hardcore baseball fan and Blyleven played before I really started paying attention, but his stats don't lie. He put up HOF-caliber numbers. So why in the hell didn't he get in sooner, and why are so many people #### on him now?
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

HornedMessiah wrote:There seems to be a lot of trash talking about Blyleven getting in. I'm not an intense hardcore baseball fan and Blyleven played before I really started paying attention, but his stats don't lie. He put up HOF-caliber numbers. So why in the hell didn't he get in sooner, and why are so many people #### on him now?
Blyleven misses a lot of the criteria that have traditionally been used. Not enough wins, not enough all star teams, etc. Where he has benefited is from the newer advanced stats that show that he was really good, just not always on good teams.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

glg wrote: Blyleven misses a lot of the criteria that have traditionally been used. Not enough wins, not enough all star teams, etc. Where he has benefited is from the newer advanced stats that show that he was really good, just not always on good teams.

And that's how it should be for every HoF. Certain stats don't tell the whole truth unless put into context. Bert played for some really bad teams and didn't get very good run support. He did his job in that he kept his team in the game. But he had no control over how many runs his team mates got for him. Should he -- or any other pitcher -- be punished for that? I heard this week that if Bert'd had the run support that Jack Morris had, he would have won 331 games.

As for Mr Personality types, who cares? It's their performance on the field that should determine whether they get in or not. Anyone remember Ty Cobb? He was rather surly and played a bit dirty, but he's in the Hall and he's considered one of the best players of all time.

Dawn