View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 XBOX or PS3? 
Author Message
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post XBOX or PS3?
So, I am seriously considering investing on one of these consoles. The games I prefer and am looking forward to playing are Madden and Red Dead Redemption. Since they are available on both consoles, no edge there. They both are able to stream from Netflix, I believe, so no edge there. The PS 3 has a 160 GB HDD and the XBox has a 4 GB HDD (although I know bigger HDDs are available for each, I am looking at the base models for now). I am not much for online gaming, so that doesn;t affect me much. Also, with the HDDs, can you load CD music onto each as on a computer HDD?

I have a regular TV, no LCD or LED yet.

So, knowing what I am looking for, are there any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: Arizona
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I've also wanted to get one of these too...But idk which one,I would probably just go with the cheaper one but that's just me. Do you have other consoles?

_________________
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Last console I had was a Wii, but I am not interested in the games for the Wii.

Price is not really the issue for me. I just want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck.

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: Arizona
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I don't know then, I've sampled both. For me it would be 360 because those controls for are similar to the PS2,which I have...I can't help you now lol. I would say just find friends you know have those systems and try them out if you can

_________________
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer


Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I have an xbox and have never really had an issue to complain about. Seems like all that really matters are console specific titles.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Plymouth, MN
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
NEITHER! go pick up an old NES or Atari 2600 and get drunk while playing each game you "mastered" while younger! :P

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
Posts: 2811
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
both are great. we have a ps3 in the living room and my son has a 360 upstairs. honestly it comes down to console specific games and personal preference. i like the ps3 way better because i have been playing playstation forever and i'm comfortable with the controllers. also, online play is free on the ps3 and it costs money to play online on the 360 although not much. really you can't go wrong with either. i mainly stick to sports games and tiger so ps3 works just fine for me.

_________________
i'm ready for a beer.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Toronto
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I have both systems. One upstairs and one downstairs. Both are relative bargains when you consider all the features they bring to the table.

Gaming wise, it's basically a wash. It comes down to the titles on both systems and your personal preference for the respective controllers. I like the Xbox controllers and thus any game that's available on both systems (ie Madden for me) I get for it 360. The above comment about more games being in 1080p for Xbox is actually incorrect. More PS3 games support native 1080p output. The first generation of 360s actually didn't even support 1080p output. That has since been rectified in subsequent hardware and firmware updates. However, since you don't have an HDTV, none of that is important to you anyways :wink: .

Both are easy to setup as a media extender though I'd give the 360 the slightest of edges there. Not a difference maker though. You asked if you can store music on the devices. Yes you most certainly can. But the solution I think most people go for is to keep their music on their computer and access it over your home network with your game console /media extender.

The built in WiFi is definitely a major plus for the PS3 in my books. If you want your XBox to be wireless you need to buy an adapter that price gauges the crap out of you. $50-$100 for a piece of $10 hardware. Pretty ridiculous.

The BluRay player is nice for sure, but again, without an HDTV it won't provide a substantial upgrade in visual quality over DVDs. If you have a modern sound system however you can take advantage of the new uncompressed audio codecs (Dolby True HD and DTS-HD) which are significant improvements over their predecessors.

If you like baseball, The Show series could be a deal breaker. It's the best sports series out there IMO. It's exclusive to PS3. It really puts Madden to shame.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7956
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I've had a wii and an xbox 360. I've only messed around with the PS3 but considering my experience. I'd go PS3.

I'm not sure if the PS3 has monthly charges, but one thing that you mentioned is streaming netflix ... on the Xbox 360 you have to have a "Gold Membership" which entails a monthly fee. I don't think that's the case with PS3.

The XBox 360 (that was actually my room-mates) has needed to be fixed twice. Once while under warranty and once without. Both of the fixes were about $50. Side story to this; when we took the xbox 360 in to mail (in a plain brown box that was sent by microsoft) the guy at the post office knew exactly what we were mailing without it being marked because he sees 5-6 of them a week.

The better game edge *used* to belong to the xbox ... that's just no longer the case. I know it's got a better catalog of first person shooters ... but from my knowledge that's about where it stops.

The PS3 is more reliable, has better hardware, and doesn't try to nickle and dime you to death like Microsoft. Which isn't to say you couldn't dump just as much money into the PS3 if you wanted, but their base package is better.

I didn't actually own the xbox 360 that we had but I *will not* buy one of my own. I had a wii and wasn't impressed with the game selection but at least they let you do netflix for free. The PS3 really seems to be the best console out there right now. At least in my eyes.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Toronto
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
The new generation of XBoxes have proven to be every bit as reliable as PS3s. I'm guessing Cliff's experience probably stems from one of the first generation 360s that were prone to the "Red Ring of Death". It used to be a massive problem but nowadays you'd be pretty safe (assuming you buy new).

As a counter point, I've had my 360 for 3 years and have never had a problem. I've had my PS3 for 2 years and had to get the disc feeder fixed once. So mechanical problems are a reality for both.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7956
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Noxage wrote:
The new generation of XBoxes have proven to be every bit as reliable as PS3s. I'm guessing Cliff's experience probably stems from one of the first generation 360s that were prone to the "Red Ring of Death". It used to be a massive problem but nowadays you'd be pretty safe (assuming you buy new).

As a counter point, I've had my 360 for 3 years and have never had a problem. I've had my PS3 for 2 years and had to get the disc feeder fixed once. So mechanical problems are a reality for both.


That's good to hear. I'm not up on which generations came out at what time but I will say the xbox 360 that I'm talking about was bought about 2 years ago. So it's hard telling.

I will say it wasn't the normal "red ring of death" ... I'm sure there are mechanical problems on both systems though. The issue with the xbox happened 3 months after purchase and then again about a year later. I don't live with the owner anymore so I don't know if he's had more issues or not.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10500
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I think graphically, the PS3 gets the edge although it does vary by game. Online muliplayer, which is a real shame that you don't play, goes to the Xbox hands down. Xbox controller is also much better. I would go with the cheaper Xbox, the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the higher price tag of the PS3.

I would strongly consider at least trying multiplayer, especially if you're into first person shooters (call of duty, etc.), as you're missing out on a big part of the game.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Toronto
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
808vikingsfan wrote:

I didn't know that. Looking through my small stack of games, only a quarter of them support 1080P. Are you saying that XBOX has less 1080P games? (not that it matters much. Games still looks great even in 720P)


Indeed that is what I'm saying. XBox does not have a ton of games in 1080p. But you're right 720p is sometimes the way you should play anyways. The Show is an example of that. The framerate suffers sightly and they turn off a few of the subtle effects when playing it in native 1080p mode. It even says on the welcome screen: "Designed to be played at 720p" or something to that effect.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Toronto
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
S197 wrote:
I think graphically, the PS3 gets the edge although it does vary by game. Online muliplayer, which is a real shame that you don't play, goes to the Xbox hands down. Xbox controller is also much better. I would go with the cheaper Xbox, the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the higher price tag of the PS3.

I would strongly consider at least trying multiplayer, especially if you're into first person shooters (call of duty, etc.), as you're missing out on a big part of the game.


Absolutely correct. Xbox Live is a tremendous service and puts the Playstation Network to shame. If you want to get into that, I'd definitely recommend Xbox live.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7956
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Noxage wrote:
S197 wrote:
I think graphically, the PS3 gets the edge although it does vary by game. Online muliplayer, which is a real shame that you don't play, goes to the Xbox hands down. Xbox controller is also much better. I would go with the cheaper Xbox, the difference is not substantial enough to warrant the higher price tag of the PS3.

I would strongly consider at least trying multiplayer, especially if you're into first person shooters (call of duty, etc.), as you're missing out on a big part of the game.


Absolutely correct. Xbox Live is a tremendous service and puts the Playstation Network to shame. If you want to get into that, I'd definitely recommend Xbox live.


If you're going to play online games and money isn't an object, ditch the consoles altogether and invest in a gaming rig. Aiming a FPS with a controller sucks : P

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Toronto
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Cliff wrote:
If you're going to play online games and money isn't an object, ditch the consoles altogether and invest in a gaming rig. Aiming a FPS with a controller sucks : P


Can't disagree with that!


Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10500
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Not to change the subject but for those who don't mind selling games after they finish them, I highly suggest pre-ordering from Amazon when they offer the $15-$20 game credit. This combined with trading games back in has resulted in me paying next to nothing for games anymore. This is basically what I do:

I'll pre-order Red Dead Redemption (for example) for $60, which gives me a $20 future game credit.
After I finish it, I sell it back for lets say $35.
Now I pre-order Medal of Honor, originally $60, it costs me $5! ($60 - $20 credit - $35 trade in = $5). And by pre-ordering, I get another $20 credit. Rinse and repeat.

Basically as long as you keep buying games that have that $20 credit, you can keep getting new games for almost free. I paid $1 for Halo Reach. ($20 credit + $39 for trading it back in)

The only major game this hasn't worked for was Call of Duty, but then I also get gift cards from Gamestop so that was free too (I can go into that as well if anyone cares). Granted the longer you keep the game, the lower the trade-in but you can still save yourself a bunch of cash. I should also mention Amazon gives free shipping BOTH ways. Also, trade-in prices fluctuate daily but Amazon gives you 1-week to postmark your trade-in. So basically you can lock your order in and keep checking over the next few days to see if the price goes up. If it stays the same, you could even cancel and re-enter the order and keep the game for another week.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7956
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
S197 wrote:
Not to change the subject but for those who don't mind selling games after they finish them, I highly suggest pre-ordering from Amazon when they offer the $15-$20 game credit. This combined with trading games back in has resulted in me paying next to nothing for games anymore. This is basically what I do:

I'll pre-order Red Dead Redemption (for example) for $60, which gives me a $20 future game credit.
After I finish it, I sell it back for lets say $35.
Now I pre-order Medal of Honor, originally $60, it costs me $5! ($60 - $20 credit - $35 trade in = $5). And by pre-ordering, I get another $20 credit. Rinse and repeat.

Basically as long as you keep buying games that have that $20 credit, you can keep getting new games for almost free. I paid $1 for Halo Reach. ($20 credit + $39 for trading it back in)

The only major game this hasn't worked for was Call of Duty, but then I also get gift cards from Gamestop so that was free too (I can go into that as well if anyone cares). Granted the longer you keep the game, the lower the trade-in but you can still save yourself a bunch of cash. I should also mention Amazon gives free shipping BOTH ways. Also, trade-in prices fluctuate daily but Amazon gives you 1-week to postmark your trade-in. So basically you can lock your order in and keep checking over the next few days to see if the price goes up. If it stays the same, you could even cancel and re-enter the order and keep the game for another week.


That's a pretty good idea.

I no longer have a console of any kind, I just haven't had time to play so we sold the wii (which I wasn't a huge fan of anyway) ... but if I was to get a console I'd probably also get a subscription to game fly;

http://www.gamefly.com/

It's like netflix for video games. The only games I would buy would be something that has a lot of replay value. I found that I was playing a game all the way through and then not picking it back up so the rental idea was very appealing for me.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10500
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I thought about gamefly but I heard it's hard to get some of the more popular games. Plus it's nice having more than one game at a time, especially ones with a good multiplayer. Another good option though.


Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 7956
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
S197 wrote:
I thought about gamefly but I heard it's hard to get some of the more popular games. Plus it's nice having more than one game at a time, especially ones with a good multiplayer. Another good option though.


Yeah, I was just throwing it out there as an idea. I liked yours a lot too, especially if you're looking to build a big library.

You can have more than one game at a time with gamefly too though.

A friend of mine has gamefly (I never have had a subscription myself) and there are times when some of the more popular games aren't in stock. However, he gets around that problem the same way I do with netflix ... empty out my queue of everything except for one item so they can't default to your #2 choice. It seems to be an effective way around that problem.

_________________
“There is a chance that if I lose 100 pounds, I could be a jockey ...” - Coach Zimmer


Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 5948
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Went with the PS3. Red Dead Redemption is pretty much incredible. Madden 11 is fun as well!

_________________
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa


Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 pm
Profile
Transition Player

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:11 am
Posts: 369
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Nice, I've had mine for 3 years and can't complain, the Blu-ray and free online gaming/internet access won me over.


Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 6592
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
BGM wrote:
Went with the PS3. Red Dead Redemption is pretty much incredible. Madden 11 is fun as well!


Red Dead Redemption is a hell of a time and you should get the Undead Nightmare game add-on when you finish the story in the Red Dead.

_________________
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.


Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 pm
Posts: 1472
Location: Arizona
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
I got a PS3 and i am very satisfied...NCAA 11 is beast!

_________________
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer


Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Posts: 7158
Location: bakersfield california
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
i grew up playing video games when they first came out. i play madden all the time on my xbox 360 no problems. i'm a huge madden fan but my son got me hooked on fallout 3. i'm not much into other games except for sports but fallout 3 is a fun never ending game. :)


Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10500
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Fallout is a great game. I haven't tried New Vegas yet because I heard there are a ton of glitches. Mass Effect 2 is another really good one you can probably pick up used if you haven't played it.


Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:37 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:55 pm
Posts: 760
Location: North Dakota
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Quick question. If someone has a plasma TV does an Xbox 360 wreck it in anyway? Someone said if you play these new systems you have to have an LCD tv an not a plasma. Just curious if it was true.


Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Practice Squad

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:25 pm
Posts: 18
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
If u asked this question last 2 years ago Xbox or PS3 than no doubt get the 360 but nowadays PS3 imo has exceded the 360 and i agree pretty much with what everyone said about the PS3. I have both systems plus a Wii (stole all three) and PS3 is the one I play the most. I can't wait till MvC3 comes out.


Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:44 pm
Posts: 10851
Location: Chicago, IL
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
NDVikeFan wrote:
Quick question. If someone has a plasma TV does an Xbox 360 wreck it in anyway? Someone said if you play these new systems you have to have an LCD tv an not a plasma. Just curious if it was true.


I don't think an xbox would wreck a plasma, I think the plasmas just tend to have lower refresh rates than LCDs


Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:56 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm
Posts: 2811
Post Re: XBOX or PS3?
Memento wrote:
I have both systems plus a Wii (stole all three)


ummmm........

:confused:

_________________
i'm ready for a beer.


Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.