Twins (We'll try it again)

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Twins (We'll try it again)

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What a disgusting display in the postseason for the Twins AGAIN. Dreadful. Cowardly. Humiliating.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What a disgusting display in the postseason for the Twins AGAIN. Dreadful. Cowardly. Humiliating.
That's a shame.

Next year. As always, Go Twins!
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Next year as always is right. Because there will never be a "this year".

It's now been SEVEN YEARS since the twins won a playoff game. Apparently that doesn't make a difference to some fans who don't care if Gardenhire wins a single playoff game in a decade...as long as he's winning this terrible division.
Iron Man Favre
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Iron Man Favre »

Iron Man Favre wrote:I think Yanks will beat the Twins in 3. So get your broomsticks out. :twisted:
I called it. :|
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Demi wrote:Next year as always is right. Because there will never be a "this year".
I know you're upset...but relax. You'll be there next year cheering them on like the rest of us.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Iron Man Favre wrote: I called it. :|
yay?
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Demi wrote:Next year as always is right. Because there will never be a "this year".

It's now been SEVEN YEARS since the twins won a playoff game. Apparently that doesn't make a difference to some fans who don't care if Gardenhire wins a single playoff game in a decade...as long as he's winning this terrible division.
As long as baseball permits these ridiculous salary differentials, I'll still be proud of my Twins for regularly winning the Fly-Over Division titles.

That said, I spent most of yesterday night's game watching Stanford defeat USC. I knew that the Cardinal had a shot at winning, and indeed we pulled it out on the last play of the game. By contrast, the Twins series was over long before they boarded the plane to NY.

No, Demi, I'm not satisfied with winning Central Division titles, but I guess I just don't see Major League Baseball as legitimate. To me, the Yankees are a lot like Barry Bonds -- they're good, but they're artificially good. I much prefer the competitiveness of football.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

thatguy wrote: The commentator on TBS who said the exact same thing you had said.

Funny. The only video steam I could find online was a spanish language broadcast, so I was watching it with the volume muted.

Funny but depressing, because it was so painfully obvious that the Yanks WERE toying with the Twins and not even taking them seriously.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HornedMessiah wrote:Funny but depressing, because it was so painfully obvious that the Yanks WERE toying with the Twins and not even taking them seriously.

I felt like that too when I was at game 1. You could just see when the Yankees became "serious" about playing. It was brutal.

That won't change until Gardy is gone. Dan, the Twins have the talent to compete with the Yankees, ans as I said before, and as Demi pointed out, other than last season, the Twins were the ONLY team the Yankees beat in the playoffs since 2003. They lost to some young up-and-coming teams, as well as some veteran teams.
Look at Gardy's records against NYY, BOS, TOR and even BAL. It is pathetic. The Twins have the talent. They do. The Yankees are just better at using their talent.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Well, you guys might as well not bother watching if you know for a fact that they have no chance because Pohlad stated before game 3 that Gardenhire will get an extension beyond the 2011 season.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

The Twins just dont have "it". They can win an extremely weak division, but forget to even show up in the playoffs. Guardy has no idea how to field a championship team. I dont buy the payroll bs, we are a talented team, that should be able to play with the Yanks. But we cant. They were toying with us, why not, its a joke. Until Guardy is gone and someone comes in who knows how to manage a team and be successful in the post season, this is the garbage we'll get.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

DanAS wrote: As long as baseball permits these ridiculous salary differentials, I'll still be proud of my Twins for regularly winning the Fly-Over Division titles.

That said, I spent most of yesterday night's game watching Stanford defeat USC. I knew that the Cardinal had a shot at winning, and indeed we pulled it out on the last play of the game. By contrast, the Twins series was over long before they boarded the plane to NY.

No, Demi, I'm not satisfied with winning Central Division titles, but I guess I just don't see Major League Baseball as legitimate. To me, the Yankees are a lot like Barry Bonds -- they're good, but they're artificially good. I much prefer the competitiveness of football.
Indians, Tigers, Angels, Marlins. All four beat the Yankees with over a 100 million dollar difference in salaries in the last decade.

7 years without a playoff win, and 6-28 in the playoffs overall. Now THAT deserves an extension!
44_viking
Veteran

Post by 44_viking »

Huge disappointment this year!!...Lets face it when we play the yankees it's men againist boys. Not ONE guy on the Twins can do ONE clutch thing when it counts during the postseason. Mauer is a truly disappointing, totaly invisible the entire series. Morneau is off the field more than on....sheesh :wallbang:

Yanks broke them in the first game and there just wasn't nothing left.....these guys need to find some guts and fire....

Never once in the first two games did I ever get the feeling that the yankees looked like they were the least bit concerned...like preseason to them.... :wallbang:
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Not that it lessens the disappointment, but I DO think the Yanks will make it to the World Series and have a very good chance of winning it all. Let us not forget they are the defending champions.

It doesn't matter how vulnerable they look during the regular season, once they get to the postseason and smell blood there's nothing stopping them. They're full of veterans who can just flip a switch and don't get overwhelmed with the playoff atmosphere.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

44_viking wrote:Morneau is off the field more than on....sheesh :wallbang:
Morneau is done. You really can't blame him at this point. He's best to retire.