fantasy football

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

fantasy football

Post by hibbingviking »

why do people like fantasy football.? i'm a huge football fan. its the ultimate team sport IMO, thats why i love it so much. but fantasy football seems like a waste of time, its pretty silly to me and a waste of time. i'm more interested in the standings than individual stats. :govikes:
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Re: fantasy football

Post by Now its our time »

hibbingviking wrote:why do people like fantasy football.? i'm a huge football fan. its the ultimate team sport IMO, thats why i love it so much. but fantasy football seems like a waste of time, its pretty silly to me and a waste of time. i'm more interested in the standings than individual stats. :govikes:
I don't quite know...I just kind of like it because it's actually MY team,instead of like the calling the Vikings "my" team when I have nothing to do with them and how they play.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
Iron Man Favre
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Iron Man Favre »

hibbingviking wrote:why do people like fantasy football.? i'm a huge football fan. its the ultimate team sport IMO, thats why i love it so much. but fantasy football seems like a waste of time, its pretty silly to me and a waste of time. i'm more interested in the standings than individual stats. :govikes:
I have to ask how old are you? I ask that because you mentioned before in the past that you like AWA over WWWF. That's 70's-80's wrestling. Meaning that's about 30-40 years ago. Meaning you have to be in your mid 30s or higher I assume. Meaning that's why you probably don't understand why we play it. It is a fun hobby and I'm sure alot of people who plays will agree. If your a competitor than you would really like it. I don't think it's a waste of time as you only are playing once a week and your looking at your roster for maybe a few minutes and make changes. It's not like your playing basketball or baseball where you have to look over your team everyday.

This reminds me of my bro as he don't play because he is so scared of losing to his younger brother. Take no offense but you know what's a waste of time. Being here for 2 or more hours, averaging 5.8 post a day, talking about the same thing in different words. That to me is a waste of time. You should try the pick 4 contest. That shouldn't take 2 minutes to do.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Iron Man Favre wrote: I have to ask how old are you? I ask that because you mentioned before in the past that you like AWA over WWWF. That's 70's-80's wrestling. Meaning that's about 30-40 years ago. Meaning you have to be in your mid 30s or higher I assume. Meaning that's why you probably don't understand why we play it. It is a fun hobby and I'm sure alot of people who plays will agree. If your a competitor than you would really like it. I don't think it's a waste of time as you only are playing once a week and your looking at your roster for maybe a few minutes and make changes. It's not like your playing basketball or baseball where you have to look over your team everyday.

This reminds me of my bro as he don't play because he is so scared of losing to his younger brother. Take no offense but you know what's a waste of time. Being here for 2 or more hours, averaging 5.8 post a day, talking about the same thing in different words. That to me is a waste of time. You should try the pick 4 contest. That shouldn't take 2 minutes to do.
i see your point. i guess its like a hobby. i e-mail and text alot. i guess some may think thats a waste of time. maybe some think baseball cards, and playing madden is a waste of time. i just cant see myself hoping jay cutler or larry fitzgerald has a good game because they are on my fantasy team. i just want too see the vikings win the north. :govikes:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

hibbingviking wrote: i see your point. i guess its like a hobby. i e-mail and text alot. i guess some may think thats a waste of time. maybe some think baseball cards, and playing madden is a waste of time. i just cant see myself hoping jay cutler or larry fitzgerald has a good game because they are on my fantasy team. i just want too see the vikings win the north. :govikes:
Save yourself a lot of stress. I've forgot what it was like before I watched football always with fantasy in the back of my mind.
Iron Man Favre
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Iron Man Favre »

hibbingviking wrote: i see your point. i guess its like a hobby. i e-mail and text alot. i guess some may think thats a waste of time. maybe some think baseball cards, and playing madden is a waste of time. i just cant see myself hoping jay cutler or larry fitzgerald has a good game because they are on my fantasy team. i just want too see the vikings win the north. :govikes:
Yeah it's like a hobby and yeah I forgot it hurts when a player you have is playing against your favorite team or pitcher etc...
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

fantasy is the greatest ever! i have been playing since the mid-nineties and have loved every minute. back then everyone would have to draft together in the same house or bar using magazines and pen and paper. i remember getting the paper on monday and tuesday mornings and having to find all of the stats to assign the points myself! internet and fantasy sites have made this so much better. plus, it's just another way to gamble. nothing better than winning $500-$1000 bucks from all of your buddies. add in the trash talk and it's pretty amazing! plus, as a football fan i like many players and teams around the league. obviously the vikes are my number one but i love everything about the nfl. not to mention the fact that when the vikes lose, sometimes having a great fantasy week can help soften the blow. for instance, this weekedn really sucked. the vikes getting beat and having to listen to all the negativity. yesterday was brutal with them not playing. however, one of the players that i got the most crap for drafting last week (arian foster) absolutly exploded so i got to tell my buddies what idiots they are. it'll certainly help pass the time until next sunday.... :beerchug:
i'm ready for a beer.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

I just signed up for my first fantasy season on NFL.com free leagues. Got three teams going. I avoided fantasy football for so long because I knew it would kind of change the way I watched games and possibly consume my brain. It could definitely get out of hand, with checking the waiver wire every day and (over)analyzing all the matchups.

Things happen like this too: Ryan Grant out for the season. As a Viking fan, that's good news. As a fantasy owner who drafted Grant as one of my two top RBs, it sucks. Hah.

It seems like there could be some comical/aggravating scenarios that come up from time to time.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Simply? Fantasy Football is a lot of fun. While it is about trying to get as many points as possible there are other factors to consider. Specifically which team a player is on and which team they're going up against.

Adrian Peterson, for example, is worth more against the Lions than the Ravens.

More than that though, it gives me an excuse to be interested in teams outside of the Vikings. It really makes the football season more entertaining.
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

I've been doing FF since the mid 90s and love it! I always put the Vikings above my fantasy team though and I keep the league I run to a low cost league ($30) so that more importance is put on the trash talk and the fun rather then winning the money.

The thing I love about FF is that it makes me want to watch more football on Sundays. Take for example week 1... yeah it was week 1 and it means football is back on. But why the hell would I care to watch a Bears-Lions game from start to finish aside from that? Well, my wife drafted Best from Det. and I had a QB and WR in that game as well.. and I was playing her (she kicked my ####... long story short, I took BIG risks at my draft and none of them are paying off right now.) Anyways, it keeps me interested in meaningless games that I wouldn't normally watch let alone pay any attention to.

But I will say nothing is worse then having more then one team, playing a team that has the same guys that you have in another league while also being on the other team that the Vikings play. You find yourself saying some of the most outrageous things; "ok, let him get 50 yards... then tackle him, then hope for a fumble that my D can recover for a TD, then hope for a long run by my RB so the game is tied, but then let my special teams run the kickoff back for a TD..." Or my favorite one; "damn, my RB is killing us right now... someone take him out of the game... but just THIS game... I don't need my season going to hell."
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

it drives me crazy the attention fantasy football gets. alot of people are more interested in there fantasy team and how players are doing than breaking down the actual games on the weekend. :wallbang:
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

hibbingviking wrote:it drives me crazy the attention fantasy football gets. alot of people are more interested in there fantasy team and how players are doing than breaking down the actual games on the weekend. :wallbang:
My fantasy team takes a back seat to my favorite teams. I don't care if my opponent has Adrian Peterson,I want him to run for 300 yards
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

It's easy if you separate reality from fantasy.

I happen to have Adrian Peterson on my team this year, so I get the double-whammy of cheering for AD for two reasons. But, on a weird quirk of scheduling, my starting QB in m y fantasy league will be Mark Sanchez in Week 5, when he plays the Vikings. I won't have any problem if he's intercepted three times in that game. It's all priorities ... The Vikings first, ALWAYS. If I ever have a player on my fantasy team playing against the Vikings, I always default to how it affects the Vikings game.

The rest of fantasy football is just that it's a nice diversion.
"Meet at the quarterback"
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Started 3-0 for the first time in 3 years for my team this year. Last time I started 3-0 I was champion! Hopefully I will win again this year....
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Started 3-0 for the first time in 3 years for my team this year. Last time I started 3-0 I was champion! Hopefully I will win again this year....
if there is one thing I have learned about FF... it's not how your team does in the regular season, but that you don't have a "letdown" game in the playoffs. 3 times I have won championships in seasons I made the playoffs on the last game of the regular season (my best was going 1-6 and then running the table the rest of the way to a title.)