Justin Morneau

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Justin Morneau

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I wanted to make a separate thread about this... but is anyone else worried that Morneau may not return to baseball, not only this season, but maybe ever? He's had concussion problems before, and he seems to be really struggling with this one. If he was playing football or hockey, he would almost certainly have to retire.
I really hope he makes a full recovery, and if he has to step away from baseball, then so be it. I wonder if there are other types of helmets that could help him, not only at the plate and on the base paths, but also in the field?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Justin Morneau

Post by Now its our time »

I think he will make a return in the future,but if another concussion occurs,I think he will retire. It will be a shame to happen to such a great player like him
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

I was thinking the same thing. I do think he'll return this time, but as the other poster mentioned, another one and I think he'll hang em up.
reyez
Starter

Post by reyez »

I hope so I still have him in my fantasy team and I could really use his bat.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Another question I was thinking of was, when he comes back, who do we send down? I like Repko's defense, it is actually probably better than Young's, and Casilla has been playing very well as well. No way Valencia should go down, I think the Twins have found their 3rd baseman. Do we have anyone else worth sending down?

OR

should the Twins just wait until Sept 1st to activate Morneau?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Another question I was thinking of was, when he comes back, who do we send down? I like Repko's defense, it is actually probably better than Young's, and Casilla has been playing very well as well. No way Valencia should go down, I think the Twins have found their 3rd baseman. Do we have anyone else worth sending down?

OR

Why is it that just when all the pitchers seem to be clicking and Gardy has figured out how to keep the sub-Mendoza line hitters out of the lineup, Twins fans have to deal with this HUGE cloud known as Justin Morneau's health. It is truly depressing that a talent that large -- a man who seems on the surface to be a great guy -- has to deal with a problem like that.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Another question I was thinking of was, when he comes back, who do we send down? I like Repko's defense, it is actually probably better than Young's, and Casilla has been playing very well as well. No way Valencia should go down, I think the Twins have found their 3rd baseman. Do we have anyone else worth sending down?

OR

Span can go as far as Im concerned. He hasnt been hitting well and his base running has been a joke. IMO, he is the most expendable at this time.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

purple guy wrote: Span can go as far as Im concerned. He hasnt been hitting well and his base running has been a joke. IMO, he is the most expendable at this time.
Probably going to need 4 playing the outfield at that point.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Another question I was thinking of was, when he comes back, who do we send down? I like Repko's defense, it is actually probably better than Young's, and Casilla has been playing very well as well.
Ya, those two have been playing pretty damn good lately but unfortunately I think it will come down to one of them.

Does it have to be a non-pitcher that gets sent down to make room for Morneau? Because if it can be a pitcher, it would probably be Perkins or Mijares.

Edit: Forgot about Punto. I like him, but he sucks at hitting.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

Id send Span down. Keep Kub, Cuddeyer, Young, and Repko for the outfield. Morneau, Hudson, Valencia, Casilla can play IF, and play Punto if someone goes down. Im not sure on how many extra can be on the bench, I think Span is playing terrible. Maybe sending him down will fire him up and he could go on a tear like he has in the past, but lately he has been Punto II at the plate it seems and cant make a MLB base running decision to save his life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote:Id send Span down. Keep Kub, Cuddeyer, Young, and Repko for the outfield. Morneau, Hudson, Valencia, Casilla can play IF, and play Punto if someone goes down. Im not sure on how many extra can be on the bench, I think Span is playing terrible. Maybe sending him down will fire him up and he could go on a tear like he has in the past, but lately he has been Punto II at the plate it seems and cant make a MLB base running decision to save his life.

As much as I like Span, I do agree that he needs some time away to regroup. his baserunning is dreadful lately (although in fairness to Span, Scotty Ullger is a terrible 3rd base coach). I still will never understand how someone can get picked off 6 times in a season.
With that said, we all know that it will not be a move like that (Span). It will probably be someone like Repko or Casilla, which IMO is a mistake.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
As much as I like Span, I do agree that he needs some time away to regroup. his baserunning is dreadful lately (although in fairness to Span, Scotty Ullger is a terrible 3rd base coach). I still will never understand how someone can get picked off 6 times in a season.
With that said, we all know that it will not be a move like that (Span). It will probably be someone like Repko or Casilla, which IMO is a mistake.

I know. Guardy has his boys, and reguardless of how they play, they'll stay up. Another move I fear that he will make is reinsert Punto and take Valencia out. A HUGE mistake if he does that, Valencia is nearly as good in the field, and he can actually hit a baseball.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

purple guy wrote:
I know. Guardy has his boys, and reguardless of how they play, they'll stay up. Another move I fear that he will make is reinsert Punto and take Valencia out. A HUGE mistake if he does that, Valencia is nearly as good in the field, and he can actually hit a baseball.

That is the exact move I am afraid of too, but I want to believe even Gardy isn't that dumb. I could stomach Punto in for Casilla, but even that move I don't like.
I really do not understand Gardy's man crush on Punto. his defense is probably top 5 in MLB, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn with a baseball bat.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

How will our defense be adjusted once Morneau is back in the lineup? Cuddy probably goes back to RF, but then what do you do with Kubel? He's been playing so well in the field and at the plate lately that it would be stupid to put him back in his previous role. He's proven that he can be an every day player. Move him to left and make Young the DH? But then, what do you do with Thome?

Lots of scenarios to ponder.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

HornedMessiah wrote:How will our defense be adjusted once Morneau is back in the lineup? Cuddy probably goes back to RF, but then what do you do with Kubel? He's been playing so well in the field and at the plate lately that it would be stupid to put him back in his previous role. He's proven that he can be an every day player. Move him to left and make Young the DH? But then, what do you do with Thome?

Lots of scenarios to ponder.

That's why I'm thinking right now Repko is the odd man out. Cuddy can go back to OF and we'll have our 4 OFs again, with Kubel and Thome splitting DH time.