Report: Steinbrenner dies at 80

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Report: Steinbrenner dies at 80

Post by PurpleMustReign »

ESPN.com wrote:George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, a person close to the longtime New York Yankees owner told The Associated Press.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not yet made the announcement.

The New York Daily News reported that Steinbrenner died around 6:30 a.m. ET Tuesday in Tampa, Fla.

WABC-TV in New York reported that Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner since 1973, suffered a massive heart attack.

According to reports, Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Steinbrenner gave his sons, Hal and Hank, day-to-day control of the team in late 2007.

He told The Associated Press last week that he was "feeling good" after spending a couple hours in his office at the Yankees' spring training complex.

Under his ownership, the Yankees have won 11 AL pennants and seven World Series titles

As much as I hated him, he did what I wish Pohlad would have done and actually spent his money rather than saving it all the time. He changed the game of baseball and the way things are done financially for sure.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
reyez
Starter

Re: Report: Steinbrenner dies at 80

Post by reyez »

Even though Im from New York I really disliked this guy. I think he's the biggest bad guy in sports that u just love to hate. Him and his little sons are partially responsible for the bad economy that left alot of people and me jobless for the last 2 years.

It's a shame how we can afford to build 2 stadiums yet we can't provide shelter for the homeless, and bums out here in the streets.