Investigators converge near Wetterling abduction site

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Investigators converge near Wetterling abduction site

Post by PurpleMustReign »

KARE11 wrote:ST. JOSEPH, Minn. -- Video from Sky 11 shows several vehicles and Stearns County squad cars are at a property near the site where Jacob Wetterling was abducted in 1989.

Stearns County Chief Deputy Bruce Bechtold confirms and investigation is going on but could not comment further because of a court order restricting him to do so.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting with search operations in the area, said F.B.I. spokesman E.K. Wilson.

Jerry Wetterling, Jacob's father, told KARE 11 he noticed five or six squad cars from Stearns County near the abduction site while driving to work Wednesday morning.

"I was just really surprised," Jerry Wetterling said. "I had no idea there would be large activity going on."

Several unmarked law enforcement vehicles arrived at the St. Joseph property at 8:15 a.m., neighbors told the newspaper.

The property is owned by Robert and Rita Rassier. A woman who picked up the phone at the residence declined to comment when contacted by KARE 11.

Patty Wetterling, Jacob's mother, told KARE 11 she wasn't surprised to learn authorities were at this location.

"I'm glad they are doing it," Patty Wetterling said. "It is something they have wanted to do."

Wetterling was abducted on Oct. 18, 1989. He was 11 years old. He was abducted near the entry of the driveway to the property where authorities are searching today.

"It is right where it happened, so it makes sense that they would go back to the beginning," Patty Wetterling said.

Investigators initially thought Wetterling was abducted by someone driving a car, but evidence later led investigators to believe the abductor left on foot, which narrowed the scope of their investigation dramtically.

Man, I hope they can solve this soon. 21 years, and I remember the day vividly.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018