A Perfect Travisty

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

A Perfect Travisty

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Jim Joyce, MLB Umpire, should be fired from baseball immediately. If you didn't see it, find it. Cleveland at Detroit. Top of 9th, two outs, batter 27 up. Ground ball to 1st, to his right. Picked up, thrown to the pitcher. taps his foot on the bag, at least a step before the runner got there. Ump says: Safe??? You stupid, stupid man. Go to hell you disgusting slob. MLB doesn't need your crap anymore. I hope he either retires or gets fired. He took away a perfect game from a pitcher. What a ####. What a total moron.
This, my friends, is why instant replay is needed in every sport. Screw the "purists", screw the people who say it isn't good for the game. It is time to join the 21st Century. Use the technology that is available. If Jim Joyce makes it out of Detroit alive, he should consider himself the luckiest man in the world. If there is any doubt, you lean toward perfection. I couldn't believe when he said safe. I hate the Tigers, but this kid earned the perfect game. It is unreal.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Re: A Perfect Travisty

Post by S197 »

He admitted he made a mistake. If baseball doesn't want instant replay then human error is something they're going to have to live with.

It would be nice if the MLB went back and called the play an error or something to give the kid his perfect game but I doubt it happens.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:He admitted he made a mistake. If baseball doesn't want instant replay then human error is something they're going to have to live with.

It would be nice if the MLB went back and called the play an error or something to give the kid his perfect game but I doubt it happens.

MLB doesn't have the balls to do something like that.

I don;t care if he admitted it. He is, I will admit, probably the best umpire in MLB, but he didn't just blow a call. He blew the last call of what should have been the 21st perfect game in MLB history, which only goes back about 150 years. And the THIRD this season, there hadn't been two in a season since 1880. James Garfield was the President then. If it was a 5-3 game or something, who cares. But if the play is close there, you side with the pitcher. Even the runner knew he was out.
If baseball wants to get some dignity back from the Steroids era, they would reverse the call, something I'm sure Joyce would give his blessing to, and give the kid what he deserves. But unfortunately, as I said before, MLB does not have the balls for something like that. And quite frankly, it sucks. It really, really sucks.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

S197 wrote:He admitted he made a mistake. If baseball doesn't want instant replay then human error is something they're going to have to live with.

If there is an error,it is a no-hitter,not a perfect game
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:Great article about the situation: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37494463/ ... -baseball/

What a disgusting piece of garbage Bud Selig is. What a buffoon. He finally has a chance to make something right in baseball, and he blows it like with steroids and salary caps. What a slob.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Commissioner has the power to change a call. I can't think of a more cut-and-dried example than this of a time to use said power. Selig has always been and remains a terrible commissioner.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

glg wrote:Commissioner has the power to change a call. I can't think of a more cut-and-dried example than this of a time to use said power. Selig has always been and remains a terrible commissioner.
People say "the integrity of the game" and "it will open a can of worms" blah blah blah. That is BS. Unless every game has the potential to be a perfect game in the 9th inning they have nothing to worry about.

I agree. Selig is a piece of monkey dung commissioner.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Selig was too busy spiking HGH and steroids into the glutes of half the Yankees lineup to
overturn the call. The real enemy is the Skankees. Oh, and Bud Selig.
reyez
Starter

Post by reyez »

Yeah Selig is horrible. Edison Volquez used illegal drugs and is suppose to be out for 50 games. However he was already out with Tommy John Surgery so Selig said he can subtract those days while he is out with Tommy John Surgery. That guy is terrible.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

My initial reaction was similar to yours but I think it turned out to be a beautiful moment. Joyce behaved like a good man and the pitcher behaved beautifully as well. It was one of the few instances of sports actually providing not just one but two role models. I'm glad selig didn't change the call. I will remember this "perfect game that wasn't" for the rest of my life. I can't say that about any other perfect games that have been thrown through the course of my life so far. In no way does it reflect poorly on the pitcher who still threw a perfect game as far as we are all concerned.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

TrenchGoon wrote:My initial reaction was similar to yours but I think it turned out to be a beautiful moment. Joyce behaved like a good man and the pitcher behaved beautifully as well. It was one of the few instances of sports actually providing not just one but two role models. I'm glad selig didn't change the call. I will remember this "perfect game that wasn't" for the rest of my life. I can't say that about any other perfect games that have been thrown through the course of my life so far. In no way does it reflect poorly on the pitcher who still threw a perfect game as far as we are all concerned.
I agree. Also,after Joyce blew the call. MLB players still voted him the best umpire. That shows you how much the players like and respect Joyce.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer