Women's Basketball is unwatchable

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Women's Basketball is unwatchable

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I don't get it. Women's most anything else is about as good as men's sports, if not even more entertaining (here's looking at you gymnastics, tennis, volleyball).

But women's basketball stinks. No strong defense, weak offense, smaller ball, shorter shot distances, etc. It just stinks. I've given it a try, I really really have, but I simply can't stomach any more 55-50 snoozefests. Also, college is dominated by about 8 programs, with Connecticut head and shoulders superior to all of them, so their March tourney stinks. No parity. What has occurred in the men's tourney this year will never occur in the women's tourney.

The WNBA is a money hemorrhaging joke, too.

I used to feel like a misogynistic hater on this issue, but I'm over the guilt of having two good eyeballs and two brain cells to rub together. The facts are facts. The men's game, at all levels, is simply much better than the women's game.

Edit: After further research into the issue, WNBA has broke even this season, and the NBA is the money hemorrhaging joke now. I don't understand. How could somebody not want to watch somebody palm the ball, illegally move his pivot foot 4 times, take a brisk jog to the hoop and half heartedly slam it on a second stringer from Czechoslovakia?
Puddin'Taine
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Women's Basketball is unwatchable

Post by Puddin'Taine »

haha, I hear that. I love womens volleyball, softball and tennis. But truth be told ALL BASKETBALL is unwatchable to me. i cannot stand it. it's just back and forth squeak squeak back and forth squeak squeak. it's the most boring thing I have ever witnessed.
"He kept getting pies in the face and everyone thought it was so funny.I didn't think it was so funny.They should have eaten the pies instead of throwing them at each other If they were mad,why didn't they just knock the crap out of each other?"
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I don't get it. Women's most anything else is about as good as men's sports, if not even more entertaining (here's looking at you gymnastics, tennis, volleyball).
Fine. But men's tennis is unwatchable, particularly on grass. They hit the ball so hard that you don't see enough decent rallies. If you're going to mention a sport where the women aren't as entertaining, you've got to be fair about it and point out a sport where women are far more fun to watch than men. The men need to go back to the old wooden rackets.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

DanAS wrote: Fine. But men's tennis is unwatchable, particularly on grass. They hit the ball so hard that you don't see enough decent rallies. If you're going to mention a sport where the women aren't as entertaining, you've got to be fair about it and point out a sport where women are far more fun to watch than men. The men need to go back to the old wooden rackets.
Ugh,I hate the groans the women make whenever they hit the ball... :wallbang: I also agree that Men's tennis is unwatchable...
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

One man's hate is another man's "I can't believe the bottle of Jergens is empty already"

Eh. Maybe I was too quick to complain. Second round of the NBA playoffs are just excruciatingly bad, especially
Magic/Hawks.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Eh. Maybe I was too quick to complain. Second round of the NBA playoffs are just excruciatingly bad, especially Magic/Hawks.
What is up with the Hawks. Great collection of talent, inability to play as a team. I gotta think if they had a better coach, they'd kick some ####.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

glg wrote: What is up with the Hawks. Great collection of talent, inability to play as a team. I gotta think if they had a better coach, they'd kick some ####.

They are getting DESTROYED by the Magic. Like "this game is over in the 3rd quarter" beat downs.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
They are getting DESTROYED by the Magic. Like "this game is over in the 3rd quarter" beat downs.
The Hawks were also destroyed by Cleveland last year...

I am making a bold prediction. The Magic are in the exact same position as the Caveliers were last year. They swept their two playoff series and Cleveland is having trouble with Boston like the Magic did last year...Cleveland/Boston over Magic in 5!
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Hunter,

You're right all these guys palm the ball and basically double dribble every time they touch the ball. And they all travel. The NBA has been a Joke since the late 70s when they decided to manufacture superstars to improve slumping game attendance.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Ehh. I used to feel the same way about women's basketball. Then I came to realize that if you look at it like it's a different game...sort of like watching softball as it is to baseball...I was able to get over that.

I'm entertained by it sometimes, but the only way you can really be entertained by women's basketball is if you're kind of a basketball nerd and you appreciate the fluidity of a properly executed crossover or a well set screen more than a vicious slam dunk.

There aren't a whole lot of big, strong, 7 foot tall women with huge arms and great leaping ability. It's a sport that is so oriented towards pure athleticism that the basic body differences in weight, height, and testosterone/adrenaline/reflexes/etc. make a huge difference in how the game is executed. Women tend to have a good edge when it comes to endurance and hand-eye coordination...which is why they play a better game when they focus on technique and fundamentals. That endurance helps them play defense a lot more aggressively, and that's part of the reason why their games tend to have a lot less scoring. It's also a lot harder to get away with the physical stuff, but that's a common thread in both men's and women's ball. That's pretty much why it gets boring to most sports fans.
-Rus
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

well said rus. let me say that i rarely watch womens hoops. however, as a guy who has played ball my whole life including college, i have a true passion for the game. now as a coach i can see womens hoops as very valuable. this is because athletically women are nowhere near the men. this means if they want to score, they better work with eachother, and let the offense do what it was designed to do. so i'll agree that for the average joe, watching womens hoops is a yawner. however, if you wanted to watch tape to teach kids an offense, you won't top womens hoops. many of the best teams are so precise in everything they do it's actually quite impressive.
i'm ready for a beer.