Mauer, Twins agree to 8-year, $184M extension

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mauer, Twins agree to 8-year, $184M extension

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I know there is a Twins thread, but I figured this deserved its own thread:
FORT MYERS, FLA. -- The Twins announced that they have signed Joe Mauer to an eight-year, $184 million contract, which will keep the catcher under contract through 2018.

Mauer, 26, will make $23 million each year from 2011 to 2018. The deal includes a full no-trade clause.
He is under contract for $12.5 million this year in the final year of a four-year, $33 million deal. Mauer, a three-time batting champion and reigning American League Most Valuable Player, could have become a free agent after the season.

The team plans to make the signing official on Monday at a press conference in Fort Myers, starting at 6 p.m. The team and Mauer have also said they will have no further comment until the press conference.

Good deal!! This was vital, even though it is a pricey contract. If they win, the Twins will make enough to cover it, and then some. Good job, Twins.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins ... ec8O7EyUsr
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Greg
Career Elite Player

Re: Mauer, Twins agree to 8-year, $184M extension

Post by Greg »

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Bah, it was just a matter of WHEN, not IF. Letting guys like Hunter and Santana go was one thing, but letting the hometown hero go (who also happens to be the best hitter in the league) would've been the dumbest move in team history. There would've been angry mobs with torches and pitchforks if they let Joe get on the market.

Great news, but kind of a bittersweet day with the news that Nathan is done for the year.

So I wonder how many more years will Mauer play catcher?
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

it's a no-brainer for the twins..no mauer - no fans in the brand new stadium.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

The Twins needed to sign him. The fans would never forget if we let the reining league MVP go.
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
Iron Man Favre
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Iron Man Favre »

That's alot of money and a deal that had to be done regardless. I still think it was a desperate but smart move because those dam yankees would of picked him up and gave him more money than that.