View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tattoo question 
Author Message
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17785
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Tattoo question
Ok, I've been thinkging about getting another tattoo. I would like one that goes down my arm. I was trying to think of something to get and I was thinking about what I like now, and know I will always like... and I thought of the Vikings!! The thought I came up with was to get the word "Vikings" down my arm in the font they use in the End Zones. With the "V" starting at my shoulder and the rest of the word going down onto my forearm. Does that sound lame? Or cool? Everyone who I tell has a look like "W...T...F..." when I tll them, but I figure it is because they don't like the Vikings like I do or something.

What do you think?? Mike, since you are a tattoo expert, your opinion is very welcome :)

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
super lame.


Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:30 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17785
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
super lame.



Yeah, after thinking about it more it does sound more and more lame. I want a Vikings something, but I don't know what?

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8069
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: Tattoo question
If you're going Vikings then why not an actual Viking?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=viking+drawing&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=&oq=&start=0

Though, if I were you I'd have serious reservations about getting something that has to do with a football team. They could move and have their name changed, etc, etc.

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:15 pm
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: Tattoo question
how about a staircase with Norse Gods and a Vikings emblem
underneath maybe on your shoulder chest or back ...

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:24 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17785
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
jackal wrote:
how about a staircase with Norse Gods and a Vikings emblem
underneath maybe on your shoulder chest or back ...


Intriguing... but also sounds a little pricey... Do you have a sample of what it would look like?

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
how about a childress mustache tattoo on your upper lip? if you ever got sick of it you could grow your own mustache to cover it up.


Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17785
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
how about a childress mustache tattoo on your upper lip? if you ever got sick of it you could grow your own mustache to cover it up.



ROFL...

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: Tattoo question
oh I am sure it would be very expensive to the norse god staircase
tatoo. If I was going to get tatoo that is the type I would get not
some lame one like barbwire half a million other guys have.

A tattoo like this needs to be done by a specialist in detail my guess
is over a thousand dollars would be bargin basement price.

that is why I will probably never get one I am too cheap to lay out several
grand for a really cool tatoo.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:35 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".


Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17785
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".



Believe me, I'm one of rhe biggest wimps in the world. But I like how "sleeved" tattoos look. If I wanted to look tough, I would work out and lift weights..

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".


Yes, something that's lasted thousands of years will be looked back at the same as a fad pair of jeans that lasted less than a decade. :roll:

If you think people get tattoos to look "tough", or because it's "cool" I think the "pathetic" one may not be those with the tattoos....


Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
Demi wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".


Yes, something that's lasted thousands of years will be looked back at the same as a fad pair of jeans that lasted less than a decade. :roll:

If you think people get tattoos to look "tough", or because it's "cool" I think the "pathetic" one may not be those with the tattoos....


it's a bit dishonest to just say, "its lasted thousands of years" as though nothing has changed during that span, or that they have been ubiquitous in all cultures. obviously, there has been a TREND to more people getting more tattoos within our society within the last generation and that is what I'm commenting upon (And thus the comparison to another generational trend). So the strawman argument can be done away with, thank you.

Why do you think that this has happened if you reject my theory that it is primarily the result of people wanting to look "cool" and "tough" and following a current trend?


Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
PurpleMustReign wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".



Believe me, I'm one of rhe biggest wimps in the world. But I like how "sleeved" tattoos look. If I wanted to look tough, I would work out and lift weights..


You are free to do whatever you choose my friend. I just wonder when I look around and see so many young guys with tattoos all over the place whether one day, as fads, trends, and the aesthetic changes, people will look back and think they they look incredibly silly.


Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
I wonder if tattoos will be looked back on the same way as bellbottoms one day. I mean, every dorky guy is walking around with tattoo sleaves trying to look tough and its really just pathetic. one day, their kids will look at their arms and laugh and be like, dad, you aren't a tough guy, WTF? I think they'll look at their parents like the tattoo generation look at pictures of their parents in bellbottoms and platform shoes looking like saturday night fever. Its just a fad. It's what's "cool" and "tough" and frankly its just hilarious. I don't know why people get so swept up in what's "cool".



Believe me, I'm one of rhe biggest wimps in the world. But I like how "sleeved" tattoos look. If I wanted to look tough, I would work out and lift weights..


You are free to do whatever you choose my friend. I just wonder when I look around and see so many young guys with tattoos all over the place whether one day, as fads, trends, and the aesthetic changes, people will look back and think they they look incredibly silly.


I have no tattoos. I just find it odd why someone would go out of their way to judge someone elses decision. I've seen plenty of people with tattoos and I never think "gee, they're pathetic!". I can only assume it's a self-esteem thing because I'm not sure what else it could be.


Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
Demi wrote:
I have no tattoos. I just find it odd why someone would go out of their way to judge someone elses decision. I've seen plenty of people with tattoos and I never think "gee, they're pathetic!". I can only assume it's a self-esteem thing because I'm not sure what else it could be.



...so if its not to look "cool" and "tough" why do you think there has been such an increase in the prevalence and trendiness of tattoos?


Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:09 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
Demi wrote:
I have no tattoos. I just find it odd why someone would go out of their way to judge someone elses decision. I've seen plenty of people with tattoos and I never think "gee, they're pathetic!". I can only assume it's a self-esteem thing because I'm not sure what else it could be.


...so if its not to look "cool" and "tough" why do you think there has been such an increase in the prevalence and trendiness of tattoos?


Because they're passionate about something? Or as a memorial to someone? To recognize the importance of something to them? Or heck, maybe just because they can.


Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:20 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
Demi wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
Demi wrote:
I have no tattoos. I just find it odd why someone would go out of their way to judge someone elses decision. I've seen plenty of people with tattoos and I never think "gee, they're pathetic!". I can only assume it's a self-esteem thing because I'm not sure what else it could be.


...so if its not to look "cool" and "tough" why do you think there has been such an increase in the prevalence and trendiness of tattoos?


Because they're passionate about something? Or as a memorial to someone? To recognize the importance of something to them? Or heck, maybe just because they can.


so is it your opinion that people in the generation we are discussing have become more passionate, or like memorials more, or have more things that are important to them than previous generations and this has manifested itself in the form of tattoos?

I have no doubt that in many cases individuals get tattoos for all of those reasons but I think it falls seriously short of explaining what has become an obvious cultural trend.

I think if you'll put honesty before consistency you'll recognize that a desire to feel cool or tough is the primary reason that most young people got/get their tattoos. Obviously, I am speaking in generalizations so it is not neccessary to point out that there are also many people who get tattoos for other reasons. That is a given.


Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11402
Location: California
Post Re: Tattoo question
I am sure there are hundreds of different reasons for getting them

but in my opion people are sheep and the wanted to do what they see other

people doing. (obviously someone who does a memorial tatoo to a loved
one or friend would not apply to this)

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
jackal wrote:
I am sure there are hundreds of different reasons for getting them

but in my opion people are sheep and the wanted to do what they see other

people doing. (obviously someone who does a memorial tatoo to a loved
one or friend would not apply to this)


that makes sense, and I think that when people make a concerted effort to "fit in" or "be cool" they almost without fail look incredibly silly, especially once that standard of "fitting in" is no longer current and we have a little perspective.

That's what I was trying to say in the first place. I still think its true.


Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
jackal wrote:
I am sure there are hundreds of different reasons for getting them

but in my opion people are sheep and the wanted to do what they see other

people doing. (obviously someone who does a memorial tatoo to a loved
one or friend would not apply to this)


that makes sense, and I think that when people make a concerted effort to "fit in" or "be cool" they almost without fail look incredibly silly, especially once that standard of "fitting in" is no longer current and we have a little perspective.

That's what I was trying to say in the first place. I still think its true.


So it's to fit in? Then why do the majority of people not even have them? And anyway, why do you even feel the need to make a judgement based on something as simple as that? That's about as silly as me seeing you driving whatever it is you drive, and suddenly deciding to judge you based solely on that. Or what type of shoes you wear, clothes, or hell even your hair cut.


Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
Demi wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
jackal wrote:
I am sure there are hundreds of different reasons for getting them

but in my opion people are sheep and the wanted to do what they see other

people doing. (obviously someone who does a memorial tatoo to a loved
one or friend would not apply to this)


that makes sense, and I think that when people make a concerted effort to "fit in" or "be cool" they almost without fail look incredibly silly, especially once that standard of "fitting in" is no longer current and we have a little perspective.

That's what I was trying to say in the first place. I still think its true.


So it's to fit in? Then why do the majority of people not even have them? And anyway, why do you even feel the need to make a judgement based on something as simple as that? That's about as silly as me seeing you driving whatever it is you drive, and suddenly deciding to judge you based solely on that. Or what type of shoes you wear, clothes, or hell even your hair cut.


In response to what seems to be your main objection to my point of view, yes, I think you can tell a fair amount about a person by the way that they present themselves to the world. I'll bet you do too. :wink:

nobody is suggesting or has suggested that one should "judge" anyone "based solely on" tattoos. (You have a habit of misrepresenting people with whom you are in disagreement which makes reaching a point of agreement or clarity needlessly difficult). hair, shoes, and clothes can indeed inform you of certain things about a person. We all use this information to form premiliminary opinions about people with whom we come into contact. One would be foolish allow that information to overrule his actual interractions with a person and prevent him from giving any individual a fair chance, but one would be dishonest to claim that he doesn't allow that information to color his perceptions. This is a far cry from "judging" someone, but it is silly to pretend that we don't all do this.

Furthermore, making an aesthetic judgement is very different from making a moral or character judgement.


Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:13 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:54 pm
Posts: 1825
Post Re: Tattoo question
Like always Demi is right. Just like he is right about everything on here. Honestly Demi, glg, and I are the three smartest people on here. lol :D

_________________
Image
http://telloff4life.blogspot.com/ BABY BALUGA!!


Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
Samkon35 wrote:
Like always Demi is right. Just like he is right about everything on here. Honestly Demi, glg, and I are the three smartest people on here. lol :D


ouch! talk about damning demi and glg with faint praise.


Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:21 am
Posts: 251
Location: Delaware
Post Re: Tattoo question
PurpleMustReign wrote:
TrenchGoon wrote:
super lame.



Yeah, after thinking about it more it does sound more and more lame. I want a Vikings something, but I don't know what?


I would like to get a Vikings tattoo at some point. I doubt I will, but I was kind of thinking of the horns from the helmut. One on each shoulder, or something along that idea.

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 am
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5627
Post Re: Tattoo question
Here's what you do.

You get a no guard haircut and an Arbeit Macht Frei tattoo on your left arm, Jedem Das Seine on your right, and an enormous Norse Rune on your back. Walk into a club shirtless, get in the middle of the dance floor and scream...

"WHAZZUP MAI NIGGAHZ!" You'll be a huge hit. If you get out alive nobody will question how much of a #### you are.

In all seriousness, do your homework before getting Germanic/Norse/Old English style tattoos, or you'll wind up getting a really "neat" looking piece that some jerkoff White Power or Christian Identity movement co-opted.

My idea? Get a Norse Warship. If you find a tattoo artist that can pull it off it'd be pretty sweet.


Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 am
Posts: 7235
Location: Ft Walton Beach, Florida
Post Re: Tattoo question
I'm really Glad I Never got a tattoo. Everyone I've ever seen are really ugly


Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 pm
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Plymouth, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
yeah I know I am digging up an old topic... cut me some slack, I'm still "new" here. Think of it like "catching up" on beers after showing up late to a party :P

There are a few different types of "tattoos" that people do (IMO.) You have the "fad" people who do the really tacky things, those that want to express themselves, and those that are kind of in the middle.

Tacky- ever see a tattoo that is so meaningless on some one, that it's totally obvious that the person even considers it a mistake? The ones that put zero thought into what or where they are getting? This is a prime example of someone getting one "just for the hell of it" only to see how stupid it was 10+ years down the road. Think "ultra-preppy" with a "tribal" on his arm, or a snobby chick with a "tramp stamp."

Expression- this is where I land, I have 3 tattoos right now with at least 3-4 others still in the designing process. I have all 3 in locations that nobody sees unless I want to show them. None of what I will get will ever be visible unless I am not wearing a shirt or pants. If I don't know you, then I don't need some stranger coming up to me and questioning why I did it. Those who know me, know why I did them after they see them.

Middle- A close friend of mine likes wolves... note; LIKES not LOVES. She got a wolf howling at the moon on her back. I asked her one question; "why that?" Her answer? "I dunno, I thought it looked cool." Not even 5 years later she was wishing she would have done something more meaningful and personal. She is planning on getting a Mickey Mouse tattoo which is much more fitting to her because she's always LOVED Mickey Mouse. Another example, my wife has a small butterfly on her back... she wants another/different tattoo, but agrees that the butterfly was "stupid and girly" to get.

_________________
Image


Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:53 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post Re: Tattoo question
zamboni14 wrote:
yeah I know I am digging up an old topic... cut me some slack, I'm still "new" here. Think of it like "catching up" on beers after showing up late to a party :P

There are a few different types of "tattoos" that people do (IMO.) You have the "fad" people who do the really tacky things, those that want to express themselves, and those that are kind of in the middle.

Tacky- ever see a tattoo that is so meaningless on some one, that it's totally obvious that the person even considers it a mistake? The ones that put zero thought into what or where they are getting? This is a prime example of someone getting one "just for the hell of it" only to see how stupid it was 10+ years down the road. Think "ultra-preppy" with a "tribal" on his arm, or a snobby chick with a "tramp stamp."

Expression- this is where I land, I have 3 tattoos right now with at least 3-4 others still in the designing process. I have all 3 in locations that nobody sees unless I want to show them. None of what I will get will ever be visible unless I am not wearing a shirt or pants. If I don't know you, then I don't need some stranger coming up to me and questioning why I did it. Those who know me, know why I did them after they see them.

Middle- A close friend of mine likes wolves... note; LIKES not LOVES. She got a wolf howling at the moon on her back. I asked her one question; "why that?" Her answer? "I dunno, I thought it looked cool." Not even 5 years later she was wishing she would have done something more meaningful and personal. She is planning on getting a Mickey Mouse tattoo which is much more fitting to her because she's always LOVED Mickey Mouse. Another example, my wife has a small butterfly on her back... she wants another/different tattoo, but agrees that the butterfly was "stupid and girly" to get.


hey zamboni. I think if someone is going to get a tattoo, the reason you have described for getting yours makes the most sense, though I personally think inking it into one's skin is an unnessesarily permanent method of self expression. I don't see a huge difference between the tacky and middle designations you have assigned, but I would say the vast majority of tattoos that I see would fall into that/those categories. using vikings players for example, Phil Loadholt and Jared Allen both would fall into those categories and both look stupid. Your friend loves wolves but regrets getting a wolf tattoo. She loves Mickey Mouse and that's more fitting? Won't she regret that too? Buy her a mickey mouse shirt and save her the trouble. Wolves and Mickey Mouse? Really? She wants to have that on her body for the rest of her life?

Especially in light of the fact that it seems the majority of people where I live have tattoos, it just seems silly to me. Its not rebellious anymore, its just standard. Its not cool or different. If you see a guy without tattoos on his arms you think he might be a rebel.

Furthermore, when a woman gets a tattoo she should be aware of the statement she is making. Namely, she is designating her body as something that can be written on, damaged, an object and she will be viewed as such. There's a reason its called a "tramp stamp" and that guys see a girl with tattoos and assume she is easy. She's saying, "My body is a piece of meat". I can understand and appreciate the sexual charge and titilation of that and if she wants to communicate that, more power to her, but she should be aware what she is telling the world.


Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Plymouth, MN
Post Re: Tattoo question
TrenchGoon wrote:
zamboni14 wrote:
yeah I know I am digging up an old topic... cut me some slack, I'm still "new" here. Think of it like "catching up" on beers after showing up late to a party :P

There are a few different types of "tattoos" that people do (IMO.) You have the "fad" people who do the really tacky things, those that want to express themselves, and those that are kind of in the middle.

Tacky- ever see a tattoo that is so meaningless on some one, that it's totally obvious that the person even considers it a mistake? The ones that put zero thought into what or where they are getting? This is a prime example of someone getting one "just for the hell of it" only to see how stupid it was 10+ years down the road. Think "ultra-preppy" with a "tribal" on his arm, or a snobby chick with a "tramp stamp."

Expression- this is where I land, I have 3 tattoos right now with at least 3-4 others still in the designing process. I have all 3 in locations that nobody sees unless I want to show them. None of what I will get will ever be visible unless I am not wearing a shirt or pants. If I don't know you, then I don't need some stranger coming up to me and questioning why I did it. Those who know me, know why I did them after they see them.

Middle- A close friend of mine likes wolves... note; LIKES not LOVES. She got a wolf howling at the moon on her back. I asked her one question; "why that?" Her answer? "I dunno, I thought it looked cool." Not even 5 years later she was wishing she would have done something more meaningful and personal. She is planning on getting a Mickey Mouse tattoo which is much more fitting to her because she's always LOVED Mickey Mouse. Another example, my wife has a small butterfly on her back... she wants another/different tattoo, but agrees that the butterfly was "stupid and girly" to get.


hey zamboni. I think if someone is going to get a tattoo, the reason you have described for getting yours makes the most sense, though I personally think inking it into one's skin is an unnessesarily permanent method of self expression. I don't see a huge difference between the tacky and middle designations you have assigned, but I would say the vast majority of tattoos that I see would fall into that/those categories. using vikings players for example, Phil Loadholt and Jared Allen both would fall into those categories and both look stupid. Your friend loves wolves but regrets getting a wolf tattoo. She loves Mickey Mouse and that's more fitting? Won't she regret that too? Buy her a mickey mouse shirt and save her the trouble. Wolves and Mickey Mouse? Really? She wants to have that on her body for the rest of her life?

Especially in light of the fact that it seems the majority of people where I live have tattoos, it just seems silly to me. Its not rebellious anymore, its just standard. Its not cool or different. If you see a guy without tattoos on his arms you think he might be a rebel.

Furthermore, when a woman gets a tattoo she should be aware of the statement she is making. Namely, she is designating her body as something that can be written on, damaged, an object and she will be viewed as such. There's a reason its called a "tramp stamp" and that guys see a girl with tattoos and assume she is easy. She's saying, "My body is a piece of meat". I can understand and appreciate the sexual charge and titilation of that and if she wants to communicate that, more power to her, but she should be aware what she is telling the world.


she won't regret the Mickey tat because it's something she's never grown out of. It's something that will never change about her. When she's in her 60s, she'll still love watching old Mickey Mouse cartoons, she'll still purchase Mickey Mouse things, etc. That's the difference with her.

I do agree that it has become more of the "in" thing for people. The question then becomes, how many of them will regret doing it in the future? Sure the majority will regret it.. because they did it for stupid reasons, but those of us who did put a lot of thought and idea into our tattoos, we'll always like having our tat. Like me, my first tattoo was when I was 21 when I got a canadian maple leaf w/skull and crossed hockey sticks (think of a pirate flag) that I had started to design and think about when I was in 8th grade (late 80s.) My next one was in honor of my father on the one year anniversary of his death (I have never been to his grave since he's been buried.. but every morning I see that tat and think of him.) My last one is in honor of my sister and how close we are. I am working on one in honor of my mom (and no I am NOT getting a heart with "mom" across it.. talk about tacky!) One to represent my love of music (I've grown up with music... performing arts, played the guitar, sang and now DJ weddings on the weekends.) And finally one to represent my "inner child" always staying with me (I'm like a big kid... and my wife will agree.)

saying a girl with a tattoo is "easy" is a big stereotype. It's like saying any guy with a shaved head is a "skinhead" and racist. The lower back is probably the most popular place for a woman to get a tattoo because it's the easiest place for her to cover with almost any outfit. It's like how guys put a tattoo on their shoulders. Because of that and the idea of so many girls doing "meaningless" tattoos to "fit in" that's how the whole "tramp stamp" thing came into play. Does that make them all "easy?" Not really. I know many women with no tattoos that are MUCH easier then girls I know with tattoos.

_________________
Image


Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.