UMD Bulldogs at the Olympics

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

UMD Bulldogs at the Olympics

Post by DeeEss57 »

Up here in Duluth, we are proud to have 15 present or former Bulldogs playing women's hockey in Vancouver. They are:

For the USA:
Jenny Potter (Bulldog all-time scoring leader)
Julie Chu

For Canada:
Haley Irwin
Caroline Ouelette

For Finland:
Saara Tuominen
Mariia Posa
Heidi Peltarri

For Sweden:
Penilla Winberg
Jenni Asserholt
Kim Martin
Maria Rooth (the only UMD woman hockey player to have her number retired)
Erika Holst

For Russia
Iya Gavrilova
Kristina Petroskvia

So, while I will be rooting hard for the USA to medal, I will also be rooting for the Bulldog players of all five nations to play well there.

Dawn

We also have a local mens hockey player in Vancouver. His name is Jamie Langenbrunner.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: UMD Bulldogs at the Olympics

Post by PurpleMustReign »

MN representin!!

I want to ask, tho, with the death and safety concerns of the luge track (including the lugers who are concerned), what is the point of reopening the track without a redesign? Do they want someone else to die?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:MN representin!!
Nope, it's UMD representin'! And dang proud of it! In total the Bulldogs have had 20-some Olympians and most of them have earned some kind of Olympic medal. The Dogs are the United Nations of women's college hockey. In addition to the five countries they represent in Vancouver, they have had players from Germany, Switzerland and (I think) Norway.

I should also note that UMD head coach Shannon Miller is a former Canadian Olympic coach. She coached the Canadians to a silver medal in the 1998 games the year before she was hired to coach the Bulldogs.

I want to ask, tho, with the death and safety concerns of the luge track (including the lugers who are concerned), what is the point of reopening the track without a redesign? Do they want someone else to die?
I don't know. But this close to the start of competition, do they have time to redesign the course? Lugers have been talking about how dangerous this course is for weeks. Unfortunately, someone had to die to emphasize that.

Dawn
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

DeeEss57 wrote:Up here in Duluth, we are proud to have 15 present or former Bulldogs playing women's hockey in Vancouver. They are:

For the USA:
Jenny Potter (Bulldog all-time scoring leader)
Julie Chu

For Canada:
Haley Irwin
Caroline Ouelette

For Finland:
Saara Tuominen
Mariia Posa
Heidi Peltarri

For Sweden:
Penilla Winberg
Jenni Asserholt
Kim Martin
Maria Rooth (the only UMD woman hockey player to have her number retired)
Erika Holst

For Russia
Iya Gavrilova
Kristina Petroskvia

So, while I will be rooting hard for the USA to medal, I will also be rooting for the Bulldog players of all five nations to play well there.

Dawn

We also have a local mens hockey player in Vancouver. His name is Jamie Langenbrunner.

ive been to duluth many times. i remember lake superior looked liked the ocean it was so big when i was a kid. i remember the lift bridge.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

hibbingviking wrote:ive been to duluth many times. i remember lake superior looked liked the ocean it was so big when i was a kid. i remember the lift bridge.
It's still there. Right now, though, it looks like it's got a cast on! They've wrapped the north tower to sandblast the old paint off and repaint it. They have to finish by mid-March, when the shipping season reopens. Next winter, they'll do the south tower.

Dawn