Has Tubby Smith lost his coaching edge?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Has Tubby Smith lost his coaching edge?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So the Gophers are up by 13 against MSU at the Barn. I go outside with my dogs and come in and the Goofs are only up by 4. Fine.

Well, with 14 seconds to go the Gophers are down by 1 and have the ball. The Tubbster calls a Time Out and, one would think, sets up a play to get a score. Well, the Gophers dribble a bit, dribble some more, and then drive in the lane... with 4 seconds left... puts up an almost comical shot that has the ball go straight up in the air, they try to tip the ball, and the Goofs lose.
A good coach would have told his team to not force up a shot at the last second. A good coach would have told his team to move around a bit and try to get a good look as soon as possible. You know, put the pressure on the OTHER team. Obviously Mr. Tub either can't get through to the kids he has, or isn't telling them how to play the game because his team, with now mostly his players, can't hold a 13 point lead at home. Yes, MSU is a good team. But when you are up by 13 at home, no matter who you are playing, you need to win. This has happened before with Tubby, and i;m guessing it will continue to happen. Same thing with Monson before him.
Anyone else want to see Clem Haskins back on the sidelines??
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: Has Tubby Smith lost his coaching edge?

Post by BGM »

Never want Haskins, nor any other coach who views academics as a secondary pursuit, to sully the Gopher sidelines ever again. Frankly, his betrayal of trust was worse than Norm Green taking the North Stars away.

That being said, that collapse yesterday was appalling.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa