Crazy finish to a HS game

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg
Career Elite Player

Crazy finish to a HS game

Post by Greg »

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Crazy finish to a HS game

Post by PurpleMustReign »

So what happened exactly? I still never found the ball in the video?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

The holder ran it in after the coaches screamed at him to keep going
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Was the holder's knee down when he got the ball?

Does it matter?

By rule, the holder is not considered down when on his knee for a hold. Does that mean he is not down until he actually gets up and does something else? Perhaps.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Minniman wrote:Was the holder's knee down when he got the ball?

Does it matter?

By rule, the holder is not considered down when on his knee for a hold. Does that mean he is not down until he actually gets up and does something else? Perhaps.
It's really tough to tell from that angle. It looks like he gets the ball back right as he's standing up. Hard to say if he actually had it while his knee was down or not, and like you said, don't know for sure what the rule is either.

Good video to show other HS kids as a lesson to play to the whistle and that a blocked FG is a live ball.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

glg wrote: Good video to show other HS kids as a lesson to play to the whistle and that a blocked FG is a live ball.
Yeah ... suckers! We won! We won! HEH HEH HEH!
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Resolution was pretty poor, but I think you can see the ball on the ground after they're all standing up. It looks like it could be in his hand as the holder stood up, but I don't think it is.

When coach coach starts yelling at them he clearly stoops down and if you look at that point just before he stoops down there are some darker pixels that are more likely the ball. So I think the ball just sat there after the block.
Craig S
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

cstelter wrote:Resolution was pretty poor, but I think you can see the ball on the ground after they're all standing up. It looks like it could be in his hand as the holder stood up, but I don't think it is.

When coach coach starts yelling at them he clearly stoops down and if you look at that point just before he stoops down there are some darker pixels that are more likely the ball. So I think the ball just sat there after the block.
It looks to me like the holder starts to get up, goes back down just a bit to pick up the ball, then stands up. When he's standing around, you can see the ball in his hand.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

they disected this play on espn a week ago or so...his knee was not on the ground and the ball was resting on the ground before he picked it up. all legal.
67GT500#2100
Backup

Post by 67GT500#2100 »

This is the biggest football story here in Michigan as the Lions and Wolverines both suck.
Krulik
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Krulik »

Want to see how my high school football career ended?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPS9VDe ... PL&index=1

Sad to say, I was the starting kicker on that Bettendorf team, as a senior. Havent played football since.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

^Crazy...
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Turtle Burger
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Turtle Burger »

Here's another one:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,203690

The blurb on the bottom says that Brett Favre is going to try this play against the Seahawks this weekend.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Turtle Burger wrote:Here's another one:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,203690

The blurb on the bottom says that Brett Favre is going to try this play against the Seahawks this weekend.
Wait, so was that intentional or did the ball slip? I'm confused, because that seems like a ridiculous play to actually try.
Turtle Burger
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Turtle Burger »

glg wrote: Wait, so was that intentional or did the ball slip? I'm confused, because that seems like a ridiculous play to actually try.
I guess if you have a tall receiver and the defense isn't expecting it, it has some logic to it. The defender is looking for the ball more or less on the horizontal plane, not dropping in from the sky.