The Movies

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: The Movies

Post by BGM »

So many great movies this past year, at least "blockbuster" wise...

The Hangover (I was almost horizontal in my seat laughing harder that I have laughed in a long time in a movie theater)

Star Trek (this was truly beyond awesome!)

Half Blood Prince (Ok, so I am a certified Harry Potter geek, but this was a really good flick)

Zombieland (Bill Murray... nuff said.)

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Sometimes movies can totally blow, but they can have really great soundtracks.

For instance, Mortal Kombat and Last Action Hero. Last Action Hero sucked but any time you can get bands like Anthrax, Queensryche, and Fishbone to put out some of the best songs of their careers is great. Poison My Eyes off of Last Action Hero is everything that corporate standardized #### rock on the radio wishes it could be.
Felix28Jones
Starter

Post by Felix28Jones »

Some of the people I know that saw District 9 commented how it was like watching incredible live action crisis on tv(i.e. ala the crisis we saw on the news 24/7 the day 9/11 happened).

The last one I saw was "Yes, Man" on New Year's 2009 - good, funny movie. Not a bad way to spend 2 hours.
Dr. Scott A. Johnson - Current Events and Bible Study
http://contendingfortruth.com
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Noxage wrote: I thought it was pretty good. But I can certainly see how it wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea.
A lot of friends who saw it said it was good, and I get the whole apartheid connection, but an alien race advanced enough to travel galaxies but eats cat food... c'mon.

The alien weaponry was cool though.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The human race is advanced enough to land on the moon and build weaponry that could vaporize the planet hundreds of times over.

And McDonald's is the best selling burger franchise, American Idol is the most popular television program, and millions are convinced that Uggs and Crocs are acceptable footwear. Your point about the cat food?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good point. They still went overboard with it though.

I doubt we'll be able to stop riots by throwing McRib sandwiches to the crowds or trading predator missiles for a Clay Aiken CD.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I started watching a lot of Shaw movies lately. Man with the Golden Arm and 5 Deadly Venoms. HELLYEAH.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Alright I finally saw it, Avatar in IMAX 3D is definitely worth it.