The Movies

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Movies

Post by TrenchGoon »

Minniman wrote:The best movie I have seen in a long time is Fantastic Mr. Fox. Maybe I was just happy I had a migraine free day and was ready for a cute laugh, but I really liked it, as did my children and wife.

It isn't a big boomer action film, and it wasn't even played on one of the big bleacher seating screens, but it did not have to be.

For people who don't think The Incredibles or Ponyo were any good, or do not like Wallace and Gromit short films, you may not like this film either. I like those, and I believe Fantastic Mr. Fox is a lot of fun.
I really enjoyed fantastic Mr. Fox as well.

gotta say from your post above, (FYI: I'm not a big apatow fan) but I liked funny people and fell asleep in Year One...it was REALLLLLLY terrible. Have you seen either of them yet and what did you think?
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

I hear that Walter Herzog took a great ensemble cast and completely camped it up in Bad Lietenant:Port of Call New Orleans.
Personally the movie is baffling to me. I consider Keitel's role in the original as one of the finest acted to ever hit the screen and a sequel to it makes about as much sense to me as Raging Bull II.

But curiosity is getting the better of me and I'll probably get trashed and go watch it on leave. I'll tell you what I thought about it.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

TrenchGoon wrote: I really enjoyed Fantastic Mr. Fox as well.
I liked UP, but for some reason, I like Fantastic Mr. Fox more. Perhaps it is the realistic portrayal of the characters' emotions.
gotta say from your post above, (FYI: I'm not a big apatow fan) but I liked funny people and fell asleep in Year One ... it was REALLLLLLY terrible. Have you seen either of them yet and what did you think?
Year One is not a good film. There are a few lines that work, but most of it fails.

I have not seen Funny People.

*** potential AVATAR spoiler ***

Avatar is a good film. It is not as great as the hype, but it was fun and interesting enough. It is like Dances with Wolves meets Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I liked District 9, and Cloverfield was good Sci Fi as well.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Minniman wrote: I liked UP, but for some reason, I like Fantastic Mr. Fox more. Perhaps it is the realistic portrayal of the characters' emotions.
Year One is not a good film. There are a few lines that work, but most of it fails.

I have not seen Funny People.

*** potential AVATAR spoiler ***

Avatar is a good film. It is not as great as the hype, but it was fun and interesting enough. It is like Dances with Wolves meets Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

I liked District 9, and Cloverfield was good Sci Fi as well.
Just saw District 9 last night with my wife and my brother and we all liked it. Really has some excellent black humor. Hilarious to me to see beaurocrats treating aliens about the same as they treat the rest of us.

Also got a kick of of Extract. Not as good as office space but a pretty entertaining little movie.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Saw Up in the Air last night. Meh. It's getting fabulous reviews and I just didn't think it was all that good.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Hey could someone tell me their opinion about Inglorious Basterds? I just got it for Christmas and I am just curious about what people think about the movie. I won't watch it just yet, I am going to read up on before I watch it.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Hey could someone tell me their opinion about Inglorious Bastards? I just got it for Christmas and I am just curious about what people think about the movie. I won't watch it just yet, I am going to read up on before I watch it.
Have you seen other Quentin Tarantino films?

The reviews basically state the film glorifies extreme violence and is counter-historical.

In my opinion, Tarantino tends to go overboard with violence, and that has kept me from seeing what would otherwise look to be a good film.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'm a big fan of the extreme violence. Which this had some of. But it definitely wasn't what I expected, and actually hoped it'd be. Wasn't overly impressed. imo it was an alright movie. Which is more than I can say about a lot of them. (Including Cloverfield which was one of least enjoyable movies I've EVER seen...didn't mind District 9 though)
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote:I'm a big fan of the extreme violence. Which this had some of. But it definitely wasn't what I expected, and actually hoped it'd be. Wasn't overly impressed. imo it was an alright movie. Which is more than I can say about a lot of them. (Including Cloverfield which was one of least enjoyable movies I've EVER seen...didn't mind District 9 though)
So if you rated it, 1-10 with 10 being the best, what would you give the movie?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: So if you rated it, 1-10 with 10 being the best, what would you give the movie?
6 or 7.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Demi wrote:I'm a big fan of the extreme violence. Which this had some of. But it definitely wasn't what I expected, and actually hoped it'd be. Wasn't overly impressed. imo it was an alright movie. Which is more than I can say about a lot of them. (Including Cloverfield which was one of least enjoyable movies I've EVER seen...didn't mind District 9 though)
Violence for violence sake? I can do without that.

Cloverfield is one of those movies that some people really like and other people really do not. I don't think there is much middle ground with that one. I really liked it. It was good Sci Fi fun all the way through. It was so much better than the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still and better than the crap that was Independence Day.

The Island was a pretty good Sci Fi movie. The Hangover was fun in a backwards sort of way but not Sci Fi.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Haven't seen it but a lot of my friends have and they said The Blindside is a good movie.
This one I've seen.

My first suggestion is if you get motion sickness easily (shaky camera) then you might want to pass on this one. It's not as bad as the Blair Witch since a lot of the scenes are filmed on a tripod but I still found it annoying.

Second, for the budget of the movie (under 20 grand?) I thought they did a good job. But would I pay $10 bucks to see it again? No. I'd wait to watch it on DVD. There's no big special effects or anything at all that makes this movie more enjoyable in the theatre vs watching at home.

I have another big gripe with the trailer for this movie but it would be a spoiler so I'll leave it out.

I downloaded it last night. WHOO some of the scenes got to me.

SPOILER ALERT:::

The one where she was dragged out of the bed, that was freaky. And the end when she said she wanted to stay, and then she said in the freaky voice "We'll be ok now" and smiled creepily... and then when she went down stairs and screamed bloody murder, and she came up slowly and threw his body at the camera.
I was actally hoping it was based on a true story, but kinda glad it wasn't, lol.

The other thing about that movie, the director filmed it in hiw OWN house. I wouldn't do that. All the noises and stuff would freak me out, even though I was responsible for them, lol.

BTW, Purple Guy, did you see this movie?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Verdict:
Tarantino takes a great premise and craps all over it with too much dialogue and so-so pacing and editing. The movie could have stood to be at least half an hour shorter, but there are some great scenes and Tarantino really knows how to get the most out of the talent he works with. You can say that for every Tarantino flick other than Reservoir Dogs. 7.5 out of 10. The whole directorial foot fetish is worked in here (AGAIN! C'mon Quentin, get a room) so work .5 up or down depending on your sexual pecadillos. Oh to hell with it, 8 out 10, I regret and deny nothing.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

you didn't like Res Dogs?
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Its his best movie, and his briefest, and its no coincidence. Thats all I'm saying.