Cold Weather

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Vikefantam
All Pro Elite Player

Cold Weather

Post by Vikefantam »

I was feeling really sorry for myself, having to walk the dogs several times a day in this bitter cold weather. Here are our highs and lows for the next few days in the Ohio valley:

Today 17, 10
Tomorrow 11, -3
Friday 6, 1.

So, I figured I'd look up Eden Prairie's forecast.

Today -1, -19
Tomorrow -2, -18
Friday 6, 5.

I'd never make it up there. I don't like snow and I hate the cold. How in the world do you guys deal with those temperatures? I mean, it's getting really cold here but you guys are getting some nasty cold weather. Brrrrrr.
Tammy
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cold Weather

Post by DeeEss57 »

Vikefantam wrote:Here are our highs and lows for the next few days in the Ohio valley:

Today 17, 10
Tomorrow 11, -3
Friday 6, 1.

So, I figured I'd look up Eden Prairie's forecast.

Today -1, -19
Tomorrow -2, -18
Friday 6, 5.

Here's Duluth's forecast:

Today -12, -28
Tomorrow -11, -27
Friday +4 (ooh, a heat wave!), -9

Try living up here!
:)

Dawn
watch my minicity grow
http://mn-duluth.myminicity.com/
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

As i type this it is -13 in Minot , ND. Last night was -28. Tonight is going to be colder. Goes great with the 70 inches of snow!
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

I forgot to mention that we've had windchill warnings for the past three days. The windchill has been -30 to -50!

Dawn
watch my minicity grow

purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

This morning up in Warroad it was -34, -47wind chill. My dog has to walk herself, I love her, just not THAT much I guess.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

-44 degrees in Bismarck, North Dakota last night. We are talking air temp! It was there 2nd coldest recorded temperatue EVER!
Vikefantam
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Vikefantam »

DeeEss57 wrote:I forgot to mention that we've had windchill warnings for the past three days. The windchill has been -30 to -50!

Dawn
watch my minicity grow

We had a wind chill warning last night/this morning, going to -40. Tonight, it's down to a "wind chilld advisory" of only -20. When I woke up, it was -10. We've made it up to +3 degrees so far today. Oh, and yes, we've had some snow dumped on us too. Supposedly, we're supposed to be back in the lower 20's in about 5 days which should seem like a heatwave. Where's the global warming? I'll take some. :wink:

I can bundle myself up but pugs are not supposed to be exposed to extreme heat or extreme cold for more than 15 minutes at a time (has to do with their flat (brachycephalic) heads and breathing). I'll tell you what - even though they had sweaters on this morning, they sure hustled. When the weather is nice, they poke around and take their good old time. :lol: It was so cold out there that my eyes burned.

When Hubby got out of the military, we had the chance at a job at Intel in Arizona. However, I wanted to move back close to family. I was just spoiled by almost 3 years of S.C. temperatures and Connecticut's weather - they tend to get more ice than snow but their heat and cold extremes weren't as bad as Ohio's where we were stationed. I also had him turn down a job in CA. With all the problems that state is having now, I'm glad.

I will tell you one thing - I turn 42 tomorrow. I probably have about 16 more working years left. When we retire, we're going somewhere warm.
Tammy
Vikefantam
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Vikefantam »

purple guy wrote:This morning up in Warroad it was -34, -47wind chill. My dog has to walk herself, I love her, just not THAT much I guess.
LOL. I wish I could trust my 3 pugs to walk themselves but my rescue loves to try to chase after cars for which he gets yelled at. My female, knowing the rescue is doing something wrong, runs up to him and disciplines him (gives him a small nip) and that would put her in the path of the car. I don't know what my third would do. He's not neutered (we're trying again, via the vet's help - don't ask :wink: , for puppies once more - Maggie should be in heat soon), so he'd probably go looking for a female in heat, though seeing as how his hip was just operated on November 13, I don't think he'd make it far. Maggie (my female) is the most responsible and I often joke that I'm going to let them go out alone and put Maggie in charge. I sure wish they could live forever. I love my dogs to pieces.
Tammy
Vikefantam
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Vikefantam »

NDVikeFan wrote:-44 degrees in Bismarck, North Dakota last night. We are talking air temp! It was there 2nd coldest recorded temperatue EVER!
I have a question for you - is there really much of a difference between -25 and -44? I'm serious. Cold is cold. Does it really get much worse when the temp gets that low?
Tammy
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

Vikefantam wrote: I have a question for you - is there really much of a difference between -25 and -44? I'm serious. Cold is cold. Does it really get much worse when the temp gets that low?

No, not really. It's just too darn cold!

Dawn
watch my minicity grow
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

DeeEss57 wrote:No, not really. It's just too darn cold!

Dawn
watch my minicity grow
:pour:
Yep, once it reaches the point where you could die if your car breaks down it doesn't much matter after that.
Vikefantam
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Vikefantam »

John wrote: :pour:
Yep, once it reaches the point where you could die if your car breaks down it doesn't much matter after that.
Ahh. I see. When I travel during the bitter cold, I always bring along a blanket and extra clothes. Of course, that's for 0 to -10 degree weather. I don't suppose that would help much for -48 degree weather.
Tammy