78 below

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

78 below

Post by DeeEss57 »

Heard this morning that a small town in Alaska had a temp of -78. -78! Can you imagine what that's like?

BTW, the town isn't way up north by the Arctic Circle, either. It's 200 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 320 miles northeast of Anchorage.

And we're complaining about -25 tonight with windchills around -40 or -50.

Dawn
watch my minicity grow
http://mn-duluth.myminicity.com/
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 78 below

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DeeEss57 wrote:Heard this morning that a small town in Alaska had a temp of -78. -78! Can you imagine what that's like?

BTW, the town isn't way up north by the Arctic Circle, either. It's 200 miles southeast of Fairbanks and 320 miles northeast of Anchorage.

And we're complaining about -25 tonight with windchills around -40 or -50.

Dawn
watch my minicity grow
http://mn-duluth.myminicity.com/

Wow!. Keep that crap away from here!
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Years ago at Lutsen Lodge I got up to -48 (or something close - I think it was near a record) and that was cold. They wouldn't open the lifts right away, but once they did we went skiing. Young and dumb. :)

-78, I have to bet nothing starts or moves.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Geeze... That's just above absolute zero ;-) OK, not really, but dang, that's cold! I worry if my car will start at -25 to -35. Unless you have a heated garage, I wouldn't think you'd be going anywhere. And then when you get there, you wouldn't want to shut off your car!
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

Thaumaturgist wrote:Geeze... That's just above absolute zero ;-) OK, not really, but dang, that's cold! I worry if my car will start at -25 to -35. Unless you have a heated garage, I wouldn't think you'd be going anywhere. And then when you get there, you wouldn't want to shut off your car!

I don't have a garage, but my car still starts when it's -25!

Dawn
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

DeeEss57 wrote:Heard this morning that a small town in Alaska had a temp of -78. -78! Can you imagine what that's like? Dawn

You're making me VERY happy that I have to drive north for an hour and a half to get to the Mason Dixon Line.