Internet Explorer - Security Flaw

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Internet Explorer - Security Flaw

Post by S197 »

If you're using Internet Explorer (any version) please read this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7784908.stm
PurplePeopleEater
Transition Player

Re: Internet Explorer - Security Flaw

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

Hmmm maybe I should give Google Chrome a try :? Not really sure what to do
And the former Bear will go 99 yards
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Update: Patch should be coming shortly
REDMOND, Wash. - Microsoft Corp. is taking the unusual step of issuing an emergency fix for a security hole in its Internet Explorer software that has exposed millions of users to having their computers taken over by hackers.

The "zero-day" vulnerability, which came to light last week, allows criminals to take over victims' machines simply by steering them to infected Web sites; users don't have to download anything for their computers to get infected, which makes the flaw in Internet Explorer's programming code so dangerous. Internet Explorer is the world's most widely used Web browser.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28258894/
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Use firefox, best browser anyway, even ignoring security issues.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote:Use firefox, best browser anyway, even ignoring security issues.

I agree. I like Firefox.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I prefer Firefox as well but IE is still the most widely used and in some cases unavoidable (as in my case at work for instance).
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

What the articles don't tell you is how long this has actually been a problem. I've know about this problem for quite some time now. They didn't get on it until it started getting a lot of publicity ... and that's normal for them. If enough people don't complain you might not get a fix to a microsoft bug for a year (If you get it then).

I switched to Linux about 3 weeks ago now and I'm very happy with it. I think I'll stick with the OS that doesn't even have internet explorer as an option :D

Not having to have an anti-virus or spyware program installed is a nice bonus too. Those things can be resource hogs ... and then even if you keep from getting infected windows *still* continuously gets slower. Keep your machine up to date, run the defragmentation software, clean up your registry. Doesn't matter. Once every year or two you'll be reinstalling windows (Or running horribly slow ... whichever you choose).
Darkwing
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Darkwing »

This has to be a hoax.

FTA: "Richard Cox, chief information officer of anti-spam body The Spamhaus Project and an expert on privacy and cyber security, echoed Trend Micro's warning."

Dick Cox? C'mon, if you're going to write a fake article at least come up with a name that sounds like it could belong to a real person...

:twisted: :D
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Cliff wrote:
I switched to Linux about 3 weeks ago now and I'm very happy with it.
Which version?
Mike

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Kansas Viking wrote: Which version?
Ubuntu 8.04

It wasn't a huge jump for me because I've been using Unix (FreeBSD) for about 6 years now so I was more familiar with the command line stuff when I needed it. Though it really only helped me when I was trying to do things that most people wouldn't need to do (Make Ubuntu work on my pre-existing Windows share and get my Zune software working ... which was a pain).

One of the reasons I hesitated to install it as my main OS was the windows compatibility fear ... but I've found most companies are a lot more Linux friendly than I thought. So far Microsoft software has been the only one to give me any real trouble but I've been able to get around that by installing virtualbox so I can run windows XP on one of my desktops any time I need it for something Microsoft specific.
novellahub
Transition Player

Post by novellahub »

I run Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04 on my desktops at home. It does everything that Windows can do and is free. I even run Windows games with Wine with no difficulty. Installing programs is not difficult at all either with a big collection of software available.
Joe
mr6kings
Backup

Post by mr6kings »

Darkwing wrote:This has to be a hoax.

Dick Cox? C'mon, if you're going to write a fake article at least come up with a name that sounds like it could belong to a real person...

:twisted: :D

How about Harry Peter? :lol:
Mark Solie