Strangely familiar story from Sports Pickle

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Strangely familiar story from Sports Pickle

Post by dead_poet »

I always enjoy stories from http://www.sportspickle.com This one is timely and pretty good.

-----
GM Says Asking Price Too High for Kidnapped Daughter

Tampa Bay Rays GM Andrew Friedman says that while he wants to acquire his daughter, Daisy, age 4, from the kidnappers who took her last week, he feels their asking price remains way too high.

“I am not going to mortgage the future of this family for one child,” said Friedman. “Do I want to get her? Sure. Of course I do. But until the kidnappers drop their price, I won’t be making a deal.”

Whether Friedman is bluffing or not remains to be seen. But outside observers say that if he delays in pulling the trigger for too long, the kidnappers could decide to send his daughter elsewhere.

“I understand his position that his family has a lot of future potential as it is, so he doesn’t want to give a lot away. But Daisy is that missing piece,” said Fox’s Ken Rosenthal. “He may not get this opportunity again. If the kidnappers keep getting stonewalled, they’ll take what they can get elsewhere – be it selling her into child slavery or to carneys or whatever. Friedman is not holding all the cards here.”

While Friedman continues to work for a better deal, others within the organization are pushing for him to accept the deal currently on the table.

“We have to accept their demands. We just have to,” said a clearly distraught Claire Friedman, Andrew’s wife and Daisy’s mother. “They have what we want, not the other way around. We are not in control here. I will not lose my daughter because of my husband’s stubbornness and inexperience. We already lost out on Xavier Nady, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay. I can’t bear to see it happen again.”

Daisy Friedman says she is aware of all of the negotiations and rumors surrounding her but has tried not to let it affect her play.

“They let me play Barbies and eat candy whenever I want,” said Daisy. “The big kidnapper man is nice. Mommy and daddy are nice, too. I just like to play, play, play – play all day. I don’t care where. Playing is fun everywhere! Yay!”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly