Macintosh Users

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

S197 wrote:My only issues with Macs are they're expensive and don't have the software support PC's do (I suppose if they can run Windows this isn't an issue but I have no recent experience with running a Windows OS on a Mac).

But they're superior to PC's in stability, security and multimedia, IMO.
People have been emulating windows on a mac for a pretty long time now ... this is the first time Mac decided to include it with the OS though, I believe.

As far as being superior in stability, security, and multimedia ... I'll give you 1 out of 3 for the multimedia ... the other two I would say is more dependent on the user than anything else.

The fact of the matter is the more people that use something the more likely it is you'll find problems. I don't know that if you have just as many people running macs as there are running PCs that you don't start hearing about as many problems.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah I've used the old emulators, which were rather horrible but haven't tried any of the recent ones.

I say a Mac is more stable simply because of how horrendous Vista is in its current state. I'm sure with Service Pack x.x it will become more stable but right now it's just rubbish.

As for security, it's no secret that the vast majority of viruses are geared towards PC's. Whether that's due to a larger number of PC users, hatred for Bill Gates by the cybergeeks, or some other reason, the odds of getting a computer virus are much lower on a Mac vs. a PC.

This of course is all just my personal opinion.
Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

My opinion of Macs (and all big suppliers) is that they are overpriced crap. I can build a computer myself for less than half the price of what a comparably equipped Mac would cost. (My computer cost $1,300 to built. A comparable Mac is $3,000 6 months later)

Macs are not as secure as PCs, you just hear less about them because they are less than 10% of the market. (http://blogs.technet.com/security/attac ... 72991.ashx)

As for Vista, I've used it on a daily basis for well over a year now (Vista Business and Ultimate x64) and don't see what people are #### abount. It is perfectly acceptable.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

My laptop has Vista, I havent had a single problem with it, nope not one in the year I have owned it....to each his own I guess. Ihad an uncle that thought Dodge vehicles were the worst made...I have had a Dodge truck for a decade, its the best vehicle I have ever owned. Personally I dont believe one is better than that other, its just about your personal experiences. I have never had good luck with Macs and have always had good luck with PCs....that doesnt mean the opposite hasnt happened to others.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

My laptop has Vista, I havent had a single problem with it, nope not one in the year I have owned it....to each his own I guess.
You are obviously not a heavy game player, as Vista will slow 3D games down to a crawl when compared to XP on the same machine.

Then again, many games are not even available for the Mac, so Vista is better than nothing.

I expect Vista to go the way of ME when Windows 7 is released. That is, if Monosoft doesn't find a way to mess that up too.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Minniman wrote: You are obviously not a heavy game player, as Vista will slow 3D games down to a crawl when compared to XP on the same machine.

Then again, many games are not even available for the Mac, so Vista is better than nothing.

I expect Vista to go the way of ME when Windows 7 is released. That is, if Monosoft doesn't find a way to mess that up too.
I think vista will be fine in the end. XP had it's fair share of problems when it first came out too. People are just breaking the first rule of using a Microsoft OS ... don't upgrade until the first service pack has been released. :?

That said, a friend of mine has a the service pack 1 beta and says it not only makes the OS stable but makes it work *very* well.

I remember when XP came out nobody would switch from windows 2000 ... and they shouldn't have, until service pack 1 made XP worth while.
Spiderbeavis
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Spiderbeavis »

Cliff wrote:I remember when XP came out nobody would switch from windows 2000 ... and they shouldn't have, until service pack 1 made XP worth while.
I switched to XP as soon as I was able to get a copy...I had nothing but problems with ME(Mistake Edition, aka the Bill Gates retirement plan). It's worked flawlessly for me ever since, and I intend to hold onto it for as long as humanly possible!

Macs suck mainly because of their price tag and proprietary hardware, which is also prohibitively expensive to upgrade/replace. I worked on Mac Classics in college doing graphic design and layout, but ended up migrating to PC's afterward and have never looked back. I always build my own because I get what I want to put into it and I know it will work. There's little, if anything, you can do to customize a Macintrash. :lol:

Check out this Mac video, hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAGmBRC1dc
Image "I ain't got time to bleed! Unless it's purple...in which case I can work it in."
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Spiderbeavis wrote: I switched to XP as soon as I was able to get a copy...I had nothing but problems with ME(Mistake Edition, aka the Bill Gates retirement plan). It's worked flawlessly for me ever since, and I intend to hold onto it for as long as humanly possible!

Macs suck mainly because of their price tag and proprietary hardware, which is also prohibitively expensive to upgrade/replace. I worked on Mac Classics in college doing graphic design and layout, but ended up migrating to PC's afterward and have never looked back. I always build my own because I get what I want to put into it and I know it will work. There's little, if anything, you can do to customize a Macintrash. :lol:

Well, there's no accounting for people on ME lol. That was the worst OS ever.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Spiderbeavis wrote:
Got to say that is absolutely hilarious. I lost a little coffee this morning watching that one. :)
Mike