Chief Brody dies

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Chief Brody dies

Post by DeeEss57 »

Roy Scheider, whose signature role was as Chief Brody in 'Jaws', has died at the age of 76. He had been ill for some time, receiving treatment for multiple myeloma in recent years. His wife reports the cause of death as complications from a staph infection.

Best known for 'Jaws', he also appeared in 'Klute', 'The French Connection', 'Sorceror', 'All That Jazz' (for which he got an Oscar nomination for Best Actor), '2010', and 'Blue Thunder'. He dropped out of 'The Deer Hunter' to make the disaster 'Jaws 2' in order to get out of his Universal Studios contract. His role, of course, went to Robert DeNiro.

He also starred in the short-lived TV series 'Seaquest DSV' as Captain Nathan Bridger. In more recent years he appeared on one episode of 'Law and Order - Criminal Intent' and five episodes of 'Third Watch'.

His most famous movie quote: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I always liked Roy Scheider. He was brilliant in 'All That Jazz', channeling Bob Fosse, in Fosse's semi-autobiographical musical. It would have been interesting to see him in 'The Deer Hunter' and see what he would have done with the role.

Dawn
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Saw that this morning Dawn. I was shocked to hear the news. 2010 was one of my favorite movies and I had just watched it about a week ago. I'll say one thing though, he looked pretty good for 76.
Mike

Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

Heaven needs a bigger boat. (Or sub)
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Those actors who were big when we were young will be passing away in greater numbers. As more of them reach 70 or 80, they will die like the rest of us mortals.

Their films will live on.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
jackal
Strong Safety

thnder

Post by jackal »

I really liked him in Blue Thunder

when he keeps checking his watch to check his sanity
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!