Johan Santana traded

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Skoobs78
Veteran

Johan Santana traded

Post by Skoobs78 »

Bob Nightengale from USA Today reports that the Twins have agreed to send Johan Santana to the Mets for outfielder Carlos Gomez, and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

According to the report, the Mets will have 72 hours to sign Santana to a contract extension. If they fail to do so, the deal will be void.

Yep, this is a terrible trade. We hold out for a long time and we get 2nd tier prospects from the Mets. Thoughts?

http://www2.kfan.com/content/twins/stor ... e304ba5411
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This will ruin the franchise for the near future. I would almost rather they got nothing for him and keep him her this year.

Stupid. No good can come out of this.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wow...you're telling me neither the Yankee, or Red Sox offer was better then this? We get literally a handful of prospects for one of the top pitchers in the game?

We're not even going to go back to mediocrity, this division isn't as weak as it was when we were putting together division titles, we can't play small ball anymore, the rest of the division is actually trying.

But then, it's not about the product, it's about lining the Pohlads pockets. New stadium and we dump Santana for not a single proven player. At least we didn't just let him walk like we did with Hunter...
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Johan Santana traded

Post by DeeEss57 »

Skoobs78 wrote:Bob Nightengale from USA Today reports that the Twins have agreed to send Johan Santana to the Mets for outfielder Carlos Gomez, and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.
Well, that's it for me. I'm done with the Twins. Time to find another team to root for. ****ing Carl Pohlad.

Dawn
former Twins fan
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

If only the politicians would approve the financing for a new stadium which would allow them to be competitive with player salaries. /snark
44_viking
Veteran

Post by 44_viking »

I knew that the cheap a** pohlad would never sign him....but to screw around so long that you don't even get the best deal you were offered....sheeeshh :wallbang:

I heard on espn that this was like the 4th best deal they were offered....
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I only wish a flood of season tickets would get returned. Or the opening day of the new stadium and it's half empty. Maybe then he'd actually care. As stupid as the Castillo trade. A couple useless #### mets prospects. wooo.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Demi wrote:I only wish a flood of season tickets would get returned. Or the opening day of the new stadium and it's half empty. Maybe then he'd actually care. As stupid as the Castillo trade. A couple useless #### mets prospects. wooo.
Bizarre, wasn't it? It's as if after they signed Morneau, they had only a buck fifty left to spend.

Welcome to the return to the pre-contraction days.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

DanAS1 wrote: Bizarre, wasn't it? It's as if after they signed Morneau, they had only a buck fifty left to spend.

Welcome to the return to the pre-contraction days.

Reusse had an article the other day that said we should'nt complain about Pohlad now because he showed he does care and is willing to spend money because of the Morneau and Cuddyer deals. To me, I'd rather sign Santana now since Morneau and Cuddyer can't be free agents for another couple years anyway. then, when Liriano and Santana and company are winning 90 games per year, and fan interest is high and you are making more money, then you can sign those two.
Now, we've lost Moss, Culpepper, Hunter, KG, and now Santana because MN teams are too cheap or to chicken sh*t to keep them around (although Hunter is vastly overpain in ANA, IMO).
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Skoobs78
Veteran

Post by Skoobs78 »

Theoretically the Twins screwed themselves over with this trade. It's obvious that we got some young talent to help us, but like Santana said, it's always the future with the Twins. Granted, I didn't really see any potential this year to finish higher than 3rd in the division, but seriously, why could we not muster up a better trade than this? The Mets didn't even give up their top prospect and Mulvey/Guerra are no where near ready to contribute at the major league level. Humber also had Tommy John surgery and is already 25 years old. Gomez I can see some potential in, but he is listed at RF/LF type player, don't we already have enough at that position for this season and beyond? We have a lack of a true center fielder still and we now have a shaky starting rotation at best. Liriano/Slowey/Baker/Perkins/Humber??? Well, we can always wait another 5 years to have a competitive team.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

If this is true, I am going to have to boycott baseball again.

Really, this is just BS.

For those who say market size and revenue don't matter, take a good look.

Of course, Mets fans will say for years to come that the team was built with prospects and shrewd trades - not free agency. :roll:
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

this trade really pisses me off. don't the twins allready have like 5 or 6 supposed starting pitching prospects and like 5 outfielders? so why on earth do we trade the BEST pitcher in baseball for more of the positions we allready are stocked at? to me this trade is like giving someone 50 bucks in exchange for 4 nickels and thinking you got a good return. i am so sick of carl pohlad and his cheap ways. i heard on KFAN a few weeks ago that he is the richest owner in basball, and is nearly a BILLION dollars richer than the next richest owner. First he fleeces a new stadium (which I was in favor of by the way) and only has to pay like 25% of, the he let's Torii Hunter leave and now this.

Trading Santana is going to make the Twins about as competitive as they were in the mid '90's.. Thanks Pohlad, ya cheap ####, you just ruined your baseball team.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Wow everybody here is pissed off! :wake :lol:

In recent years its been proven that the Twins are good at recognizing pitching talent so these three guys have a good chance I think. Apparently Humber is coming off of Tommy John surgery and lost some of his curveball power, which supposidly is pretty nasty when he's at full health.
The other two are really young too but obviously have potential.

If you look on some of the Mets message boards you'll see a lot of praise for Gomez. He'll probably be starting in the OF and be the new lead-off man.

All this backlash is understandable because it was Satana after all, but now the twins have a huge amount of young and talented players/prospects and could be set for a very long time. Hopefully Liriano makes a full comeback and becomes our #1
Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

HornedMessiah wrote:Wow everybody here is pissed off! :wake :lol:

In recent years its been proven that the Twins are good at recognizing pitching talent so these three guys have a good chance I think. Apparently Humber is coming off of Tommy John surgery and lost some of his curveball power, which supposidly is pretty nasty when he's at full health.
The other two are really young too but obviously have potential.

If you look on some of the Mets message boards you'll see a lot of praise for Gomez. He'll probably be starting in the OF and be the new lead-off man.

All this backlash is understandable because it was Satana after all, but now the twins have a huge amount of young and talented players/prospects and could be set for a very long time. Hopefully Liriano makes a full comeback and becomes our #1
Santana was gone no matter what way you cut it IMO. The Twin's scouting has shown to be remarkably adept at finding talent. At least we get some potential rather than letting him go for nothing. It's not like with Santana the Twins are expected to do anything this year anyways.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Enrage wrote: Santana was gone no matter what way you cut it IMO. The Twin's scouting has shown to be remarkably adept at finding talent. At least we get some potential rather than letting him go for nothing. It's not like with Santana the Twins are expected to do anything this year anyways.

Santana, Baker, Liriano, Bonser, Perkins. Thats a formidable rotation. you have to be confident that you'd get at least 5 wins out of 10 games there. Plus the bullpen, if Santans doesn't get traded, It would be a huge disappointment if the won less than 90.