What's Wrong with Tennis

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS1
Hall of Famer

What's Wrong with Tennis

Post by DanAS1 »

So I wake up in the middle of the night and what do I see? Roger Federer engaged in what may be called a dogfight. He's down 2-3 in the fifth set, and the announcers are talking about how this is truly an "epic" ... a "classic" ... and any other piece of hyperbole they can possibly throw at a sporting event.

Well ... want to know the truth? During the seven games that I watched Federer serve, the other guy -- if I recall directly -- didn't get to deuce once. Some games were at love. Others, the other dude got one point. I kept trying to say "wow, Federer could really lose this." But he couldn't -- the other guy couldn't return his serve in the fifth set. And that's a classic?

Give me the old style matches with the wooden rackets anytime.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

When Connors, Nastase, Borg and the rest of that group quit playing, I quit watching.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

John wrote:When Connors, Nastase, Borg and the rest of that group quit playing, I quit watching.
From the number of posts in this thread, I'd say you're not alone. I still watched a lot when McEnroe played, but once he retired ...
vectore
Starter

Post by vectore »

No one comes home from a hard day at work, or skips church to watch tennis. That's the reason, football has consumed this nation so much, no one has time for anything else.

But I like watching ANYBODY that can play a good match. I stayed home and watched that Roddick and German kid play last week. There were some seriously nice exchanges in that match. But I'm a sports fan, I could really care less about tennis. Tennis and soccer are the only games I can not play, so I really care less about both.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I don't often watch Tennis for the same reason I don't often play "pong". One can only take so much of the same thing over and over ... at least with pong the game doesn't stop after every serve.

I'd honestly rather watch golf ... at least there are different holes and things change ... at least a little.
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

To improve ratings I think they should have a separate play-by-play guy who does nothing but analyze the grunting. Baseball has the juggs gun to measure the speed of pitches; tennis should have an audio gun with a nifty name to measure the decibel level of all the grunting going on.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mr. X wrote:To improve ratings I think they should have a separate play-by-play guy who does nothing but analyze the grunting. Baseball has the juggs gun to measure the speed of pitches; tennis should have an audio gun with a nifty name to measure the decibel level of all the grunting going on.

:rofl: :lmao: :rofl:

"He broke the decibel record!! The crowd is showing their appreciation!!"
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
:rofl: :lmao: :rofl:

"He broke the decibel record!! The crowd is showing their appreciation!!"
Ha!

"Listen to the fan go wild!"
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

I prefer to play tennis, which is an outdoor sport year round where I live. Like some others, I watched more in the 70s and 80s heyday of Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Evert, Austin, Navratilova. The new players are less compelling though I have on occasion watched a match of Agassi or the Williams sisters or Sharapova. But it is rare that I watch tennis, certainly only French Open, Wimbledon, or US Open.
jackal
Strong Safety

whats right

Post by jackal »

I know the really hot Russian players catch my eye
from time to time.

other than that I am not really intrested in Tennis
to be honest.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: whats right

Post by DanAS1 »

jackal wrote:I know the really hot Russian players catch my eye
from time to time.

other than that I am not really intrested in Tennis
to be honest.
Yes, that's what tennis has become, Jackal. It's candy for those of us guys who like athletic figures in women. But I was really talking about MEN'S tennis. There was a time in history when guys like me actually watched that sport. Now, only the women have something to, ahem, offer.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Roger Federer is just so much better than the other men players right now.

I don't watch much tennis or golf, but it is the same for Tiger Woods. Anyone that can challenge him on any given day will be considered a great match up.

People come out to watch the dragon, and people come out to watch someone slay the dragon. If it is a good fight or not, the sports media will pretend like it is anyway.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: whats right

Post by CalVike »

DanAS1 wrote:But I was really talking about MEN'S tennis. There was a time in history when guys like me actually watched that sport.
Much like a hockey game, there was always a chance when Nastase, McEnroe, and Connors were in their heyday that a fight might break out. Now while I like hockey for the hockey and tennis for the tennis, I realize I am in the minority. Today's men's players are simply too civil. Also the Americans are not real exciting or successful, another drawback.