Favorite Albums

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Mothman wrote: I didn't expect to see that on a list. I almost included ABC's The Lexicon of Love on mine. :)
What, that's not mine!

Actually, I get in the mood for Ace of Base, Abba, Shakespears Sister, Bananarama, and other Eurogroups featuring female vocals.

I also listen to Evanescence (Fallen almost made the list) and various Heart albums (Dreamboat Annie almost made the list). Of course, these bands are from Arkansas and Canada respectively.

The strange thing about 80's Euromusic is that I didn't listen to much of it in the 1980's. I liked Durran Durran's Rio album, and I played that at parties (gotta play what the women like), but I was much more into Heavy Metal.

That doesn't mean I didn't keep some ABC, Wham!, Human League, Pet Shop Boys, The Fixx, Madness, and other bands on my playlist. I was the record critic for my high school newspaper, so I had to know what was in and what should be in.

I noted that someone up top slipped in a Petra album. I did a two piece series with the title Heaven and Hell that went over how metal was going dark and Christian rock was growing. Petra was the main focus of the second part of the series.

I also noted that VikeMike had Murmur from REM on his list, and I will have to strip something off mine for that one. I mean, that is a classic. I believe it is still their best work. It is one of those top to bottom "Dark Side of the Moon" type of albums that has no filler.

That is the same reason I put Savage Garden on my list. It has some singles, but it is so solid all of the way through.

Of course, my favorite album of all time, High -N- Dry by Def Leppard rocks from head to heel. It didn't have the singles like Pyromania and Hysteria, but it is the better album. It's too bad Def Leppard is known for crap like Pour Some Sugar on Me and Let's Get Rocked now, because they have put out some really good music with thought provoking lyrics. I use Gods of War and Paper Sun for lessons in the classroom.

There are bands that have albums with songs that are great, like Alice In Chains' Dirt, but I just don't like were other songs go on the album, so it didn't make the list. A few songs for Velvet revolver almost had it dropped, but songs like Big Machine, Spectacle, Dirty Little Thing, and Loving the Alien just cannot be removed from my bloodflow, so the album stays. I sing Slither and Fall To Pieces at Karaoke as well.

So there it is, I really don't have 25 top albums, because I love music - even pop music from Sweden.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Sticky Fingers (the Stones)
Exile on Main Street (the Stones)
Let it Bleed (the Stones)
Beggars Banquet (the Stones)
Abby Road (the Beatles)
Sgt Peppers (the Beatles)
Every Picture Tells a Story (Rod Stewart)
Blood on the Tracks (Dylan)
The Times They are a Changing (Dylan)
Astral Weeks (Van Morrison)
Moondance (Van Morrison)
LA Woman (The Doors)
Fleetwood Mac (Fleetwood Mac)
Rumors (Fleetwood Mac)
Led Zep IV (Led Zep)
OK Computer (Radiohead)
After the Gold Rush (Young)
Abraxas (Santana)
Born to Run (Bruce)
Dark Side of the Moon (Floyd)
Wish You Were Here (Floyd)
The Wall (Floyd)
London Calling (Clash)
The Cars (Cars)

And last but anything but least ...

Last Lights on in Town (Hannah Spiro!)

There. You finally got it out of me. Again, nice idea for a thread.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

DanAS1 wrote:Sticky Fingers (the Stones)
Abby Road (the Beatles)
Moondance (Van Morrison)
LA Woman (The Doors)
Rumors (Fleetwood Mac)
Led Zep IV (Led Zep)
OK Computer (Radiohead)
Abraxas (Santana)
Born to Run (Bruce)
The Wall (Floyd)
London Calling (Clash)
The Cars (Cars)

Excellent list, I like most of them albums a lot! Though I'm not a Clash fan.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:That is the same reason I put Savage Garden on my list. It has some singles, but it is so solid all of the way through.

Of course, my favorite album of all time, High -N- Dry by Def Leppard rocks from head to heel. It didn't have the singles like Pyromania and Hysteria, but it is the better album. It's too bad Def Leppard is known for crap like Pour Some Sugar on Me and Let's Get Rocked now, because they have put out some really good music with thought provoking lyrics. I use Gods of War and Paper Sun for lessons in the classroom.

There are bands that have albums with songs that are great, like Alice In Chains' Dirt, but I just don't like were other songs go on the album, so it didn't make the list. A few songs for Velvet revolver almost had it dropped, but songs like Big Machine, Spectacle, Dirty Little Thing, and Loving the Alien just cannot be removed from my bloodflow, so the album stays. I sing Slither and Fall To Pieces at Karaoke as well.
Great from top to bottom is definitely a prerequisite to be a great album, there were a few albums I left off like GNR's Use Your Illusions 2 just because of one crappy song.

I'm really starting to dig Velvet Revolver, but it don't hurt that I'm a big STP and GNR fan. That looks like one of the few bands we both enjoy!
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

I'm surprised no ones said Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. I contemplated it, but realized it was not truly in my top 25. But nice concept album. If I was going for neat or conceptual albums I'd have certainly included it, and OK Computer and Ziggy Stardust and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Quadrophenia and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to name a few.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote: Excellent list, I like most of them albums a lot! Though I'm not a Clash fan.
Hey, as long as you like "Last Lights on in Town," I'm OK with your not liking "London Calling." :)
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Minniman wrote: What, that's not mine!

Actually, I get in the mood for Ace of Base, Abba, Shakespears Sister, Bananarama, and other Eurogroups featuring female vocals.

I also listen to Evanescence (Fallen almost made the list) and various Heart albums (Dreamboat Annie almost made the list). Of course, these bands are from Arkansas and Canada respectively.
I like Heart a lot -- Little Queen, Dreamboat Annie and Dog & Butterfly -- but not the crap they did in the 80s.

As far as 80s bands whom I have come to love through their greatest hits, Crowded House and the Cure come immediately to mind. I also love U2 and REM.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Colinito wrote:I'm surprised no ones said Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull. I contemplated it, but realized it was not truly in my top 25. But nice concept album. If I was going for neat or conceptual albums I'd have certainly included it, and OK Computer and Ziggy Stardust and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Quadrophenia and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to name a few.
I like Aqua Lung by Tull, though I've not heard Thick as a Brick. Ziggy Stardust was very close to making my list. War from U2 was oh so close to making the list too; talk about sellouts though :(.

Exile from Guyville is one of my guilty pleasure records (Liz Phair when she wasn't doing pop music.) As is Cracked Rear View from Hootie and the Blowfish.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

This is a cool thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's favorite music, so I figured I'd throw mine in here. I believe it runs a little stronger towards the Blues side of the map though. :)

Ry Cooder-Crossroads
Ry Cooder-A Meeting By The River
John Lee Hooker - The Best Of Friends
John Lee Hooker - The Healer
Jeff Healy - Hell To Pay
Jeff Healy - See The Light
Jeff Healy - Cover To Cover
Jeff Healy - Feel This
Kenny Wayne Shepard - Ledbetter Heights
Kenny Wayne Shepard - Trouble Is
Eric Clapton - From The Cradle
Ten Years After - Essential
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Janis Joplin - Cheap Thrills
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Blues At Sunrise
John Hammond - So Many Roads
ZZ Top - Afterburner
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Led Zeppelin - IV
The Doors- LA Woman
Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs & Englishmen
Alice Cooper - Killer
The Band - Music From The Big Pink
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Mike

mdatek
Transition Player

Post by mdatek »

Hey y'all.

don't post much but i've a glass of JD in me and well, music is one of my other passions (science, football, hockey being the others). no real order

25 - king crimson - red
24 - yes - fragile
23 - pink floyd - the wall
22- SRV - couldn't stand the weather
21 - genesis - trick of the tail
20 - genesis - duke
19 - tull - thick as a brick
18 - who - who's next
17 - rush - moving pictures
16 - rush - caress of steel
15 - rush - 2112
14 - rush - snakes and arrows
13 - pink floyd - animals
12 - audioslave - audioslave
11 - robin trower - bridge of sighs
10 - miles davis - kind of blue
9 - SRV - in step
8 - lynrd skynrd - nothin fancy
7 - allman bros - fillmore east
6 - beatles - abbey road
5 - foo fighters - in your honor
4 - ummmmm men at work - cargo (ducking very quickly now :))
3 - kenny wayne sheppard - trouble is
2 - clash - london calling
1 - marillion - misplaced childhood.

again, i can't rank these. just listed the 25 i tend to listen to most....
Mike in CT
Go Tigers!
I reject your reality and substitue my own.
Anatomy: something everyone has, but which looks better on a girl.-Bruce Raeburn
SRV's whole purpose of existence was so that God himself could play the guitar through him-Anon.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mdatek wrote:Hey y'all.

don't post much but i've a glass of JD in me and well, music is one of my other passions (science, football, hockey being the others). no real order

25 - king crimson - red
Excellent album. King Crimson's Discipline album should have been on my list. I can't believe I forgot to include it but I don't want to keep revising the list.

I guess that list was just my 25 favorite albums on that day. :)

BTW, KV, your list doesn't just skew "a little stronger towards the Blues side of the map". That's a bluesy list!

Jim
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Mothman wrote:[

BTW, KV, your list doesn't just skew "a little stronger towards the Blues side of the map". That's a bluesy list!

Jim
Agreed. Now, all he had to do to make it just a "little" Bluesy is add "Best of Bread" at the end. That would have supplied the requisite variety all by itself.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

DanAS1 wrote:Sticky Fingers (the Stones)
Abby Road (the Beatles)
Moondance (Van Morrison)
LA Woman (The Doors)
Rumors (Fleetwood Mac)
Led Zep IV (Led Zep)
OK Computer (Radiohead)
Abraxas (Santana)
Born to Run (Bruce)
The Wall (Floyd)
London Calling (Clash)
The Cars (Cars)

I'd kill myself if I had to listen to about half of those albums....its a great example of how different people's tastes can be.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightening
AC/DC - Back in Black
Metallica - Ride the Lightening
Scorpions - Blackout
Motely Crue - Shout at the Devil
AC/DC - Who Made Who
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengence
The Cult - Electric
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
Van Halen - Van Halen
Gear Daddies - Let's Go Scare Al
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Skid Row - 18 and Life
Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
Motely Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Bride - Shotgun Wedding
Kenny Chesney - When the Sun Goes Down

These are in no particular order and I KNOW i am forgetting many...like I just thought about my fav Led Zepplin that I didnt include for example. As you can see i tend toward harder rock...but I listen to almost anything. Had a major crush on that slutty chick from Missing Persons back in the 80's if anyone remembers them.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Well, I was a big fan of Bruce Sprinsteen's We Shall Overcome album. But that's about it that I can think of. Otherwise even some solid albums always have a few songs I can't stand on them.