Favorite Albums

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingMachine wrote:These are in no particular order and I KNOW i am forgetting many...like I just thought about my fav Led Zepplin that I didnt include for example. As you can see i tend toward harder rock...but I listen to almost anything. Had a major crush on that slutty chick from Missing Persons back in the 80's if anyone remembers them.
Here you go:

VM, my reaction to your list was a lot like your reaction to Dan's! :) Everybody's taste is different ...

Jim
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

:lol: Maybe I should have thrown in a couple of old Frank Zappa albums.

Like Phi Zappa Crappa. Now there was an album for you. :)
Mike

VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Mothman wrote: Here you go:

VM, my reaction to your list was a lot like your reaction to Dan's! :) Everybody's taste is different ...

Jim
Ya thats what I was trying to say Jim...we're a pretty diverse group. By the way, thanks for the picture...not sure what I saw in her, probobly my teenage hormones raging is all.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

men at work - cargo (ducking very quickly now )
I like the Aussie stuff from the 1980's: Men at Work, INXS, Split Enz/Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Icehouse, and Kylie Minogue. Other than INXS, it is best to pick up greatest hits packages from these bands. With Men at Work, it isn't because the albums were not great, it is because they only had three albums, and most of the good tunes will fit on one compliation. Split Enz/Crowded House is part Aussie and part Kiwi.

Of course, AC/DC was prime rockage as well.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Some notes:

While I believe Sgt. Pepper to be a great album for what it is, it is not really the best music from the Beatles in my opinion. Being a life long Beatles fan, that may be hard to say, but it is what I believe.

By the way, I used to work with Tommy Vee. He is the son of Bobby Vee. I once asked Tommy about the Beatles and Paul McCartney, because his dad often toured with the Beatles. Tommy said, "Oh, uncle Paul, he's cool."

A few years ago, the Vees had Paul McCartney stay for a few days around the holidays (the Vees live in central Minnesota). It was a complete secret until a few days after McCartney left.

Tommy is a complete nut on stage, and he likes to play his electric bass fiddle with maximum showmanship. If anyone remembers how Electric Light Orchestra played live, one should know what I am talking about.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

VikingMachine wrote: I'd kill myself if I had to listen to about half of those albums....its a great example of how different people's tastes can be.
Other than my daughter's album (you can keep that view to yourself), which of the above can't you stand? I'm just curious. And I do agree with your comment about taste -- it is subjective, despite what critics might have you believe.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote: I like the Aussie stuff from the 1980's: Men at Work, INXS, Split Enz/Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Icehouse, and Kylie Minogue. Other than INXS, it is best to pick up greatest hits packages from these bands. With Men at Work, it isn't because the albums were not great, it is because they only had three albums, and most of the good tunes will fit on one compliation. Split Enz/Crowded House is part Aussie and part Kiwi.

Of course, AC/DC was prime rockage as well.
While on occasion I'll get into a mood to listen to 80's pop music, I can't really can't stand these bands; don't mind it on the radio maybe once a month in a small dose though.

AC/DC is one of my top 5 favorite bands though, best Australian export ever.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:Some notes:

While I believe Sgt. Pepper to be a great album for what it is, it is not really the best music from the Beatles in my opinion. Being a life long Beatles fan, that may be hard to say, but it is what I believe.
Sgt Peppers in an excellent album, but overrated. I like Revolver the best, also like Abbey Road quite a bit. I do like their late stuff much, much better than their early stuff. They really grew into more than standard musicians by the late 60's IMO; at first they had a nice sound but really weren't that much greater than everybody else but late in their career they became the most important band ever.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Minniman wrote:Split Enz/Crowded House is part Aussie and part Kiwi.
Personally, I'd recommend "Time & Tide" over any compilation of Split Enz. It's a terrific album that really holds together well as an album.
wang_chi7 wrote:Sgt Peppers in an excellent album, but overrated.
I don't think it's overrated. It just needs to be considered in the context of it's time. At the time of it's release, it represented somewhat of a sea change in pop/rock music and it's influence on what came later was tremendous.
I like Revolver the best, also like Abbey Road quite a bit. I do like their late stuff much, much better than their early stuff. They really grew into more than standard musicians by the late 60's IMO; at first they had a nice sound but really weren't that much greater than everybody else but late in their career they became the most important band ever.
I think that's another reason the Sgt. Pepper is considered such a landmark. It's not necessarily the band's best album (I prefer Revolver too) but it was a huge step in another, more sophisticated direction and perhaps the most important step in making the Beatles "the most important band ever".

Jim
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Hell yeah. The Beatles were my first favorite band and if it wasn't for a folk singer from Hibbing would still be my favorite band.

Everything from "Rubber Soul" on is great. Everything before pretty much sucks, except for rare gems like "Hide Your Love Away."

I tried narrowing down my favorites for this list, and went with "Abbey Road" even though I skip to track 7 every time to start.

"Let It Be" and "White Album" are probably up there with "Abbey Road" and "Revolver" as my favorites.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Colinito wrote:Hell yeah. The Beatles were my first favorite band and if it wasn't for a folk singer from Hibbing would still be my favorite band.

Everything from "Rubber Soul" on is great. Everything before pretty much sucks, except for rare gems like "Hide Your Love Away."
LOL! I wouldn't go nearly that far but I definitely prefer their output from "Rubber Soul" forward.

Jim