Pearl Harbor minus 7

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Pearl Harbor minus 7

Post by DeeEss57 »

November 30, 1941

Prince Nobuhito Takamatsu warned his brother, Hirohito, the Navy felt the Empire could not fight more than two years against the United States and wished to avoid war. After consulting with Koichi Kido (who advised him to take his time until he was convinced) and Tojo, the Emperor then consulted with admirals Shimada and Nagano. Hirohito was deeply concerned by the decision to place "war preparations first and diplomatic negotiations second" and announced his intention to break with centuries-old protocol and, at the Imperial Conference on the following day, directly questioned the chiefs of the Army and Navy general staffs — a quite unprecedented action. Konoe quickly persuaded Hirohito to summon them for a private conference instead, at which the Emperor made it plain that a peaceful settlement was to be pursued "up to the last". Chief of Naval General Staff Admiral Osami Nagano, a former Navy Minister and vastly experienced, later told a trusted colleague "I have never seen the Emperor reprimand us in such a manner, his face turning red and raising his voice."

Dawn
MWNANCe
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by MWNANCe »

Dawn,
This stuff fascinates me...where are you getting the information?

Thanks
Mike
I believe..
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

MWNANCe wrote:Dawn,
This stuff fascinates me...where are you getting the information?

Thanks
Mike

Oh, here and there. Google is your friend, you know. :)

Dawn