Santana Rumors

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:I guess the Twins will lose Wynegar, Smalley, Zahn, and Blyleven.

I hope they will not trade Rod Carew. He is the AL MVP after all.
Carew was gone two years after his MVP season to the Angels in 1979. Blyleven wasn't with the Twins in 1977 (Texas.) Sorry to bust your chops, I couldn't resist!

I think the team will be able to keep Mauer and Morneau, especially if they trade Santana. They'd be wise to lock Young in for a long time too. I just wish Santana's contract was up two years from now when the new stadium will be rolling in the dough for the team, but if they make a smart trade, the team should be fine. If they give Johan up for nothing though I will be pissed, they might as well keep him an extra year to make a playoff run instead of giving him up for nothing.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Playoff run? :lol:
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote:
I think the team will be able to keep Mauer and Morneau, especially if they trade Santana. They'd be wise to lock Young in for a long time too. I just wish Santana's contract was up two years from now when the new stadium will be rolling in the dough for the team, but if they make a smart trade, the team should be fine. If they give Johan up for nothing though I will be pissed, they might as well keep him an extra year to make a playoff run instead of giving him up for nothing.
I favor trading him. I don't see them going deep in the playoffs even with the guy, though I recognize that they do have a chance (if Liriano returns to form).
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DanAS1 wrote: I favor trading him. I don't see them going deep in the playoffs even with the guy, though I recognize that they do have a chance (if Liriano returns to form).

If Liriano returns to form, they could have as good a rotation than any other team. Santana, Baker, Liriano, Perkins, (someone else who I can't think of) that sounds pretty damn good. Scott Baker looked awesome in most of his outings last season. Perkins looks good when healthy.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
If Liriano returns to form, they could have as good a rotation than any other team. Santana, Baker, Liriano, Perkins, (someone else who I can't think of) that sounds pretty #### good. Scott Baker looked awesome in most of his outings last season. Perkins looks good when healthy.
Bonser you forgot would be the fifth pitcher most likely. Slowey also is pretty good. That rotation doesn't look too bad, even if Santana was traded for bats the rotation wouldn't be too bad.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

wang_chi7 wrote: Carew was gone two years after his MVP season to the Angels in 1979. Blyleven wasn't with the Twins in 1977 (Texas.) Sorry to bust your chops, I couldn't resist!
How is that busting my chops? I was just naming players that the Twins were forced to trade or lost via free agency for salary considerations.

I can add Larry Hisle, Chuck Knoblauch, and Frank 'Sweet Music' Viola to that list.
The Twins will have more revenue, but the new stadium, small and without on site parking, won't be as huge a boost as it could have been. In any case, is still does not compare to the long term media revenue from the large markets.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote: How is that busting my chops? I was just naming players that the Twins were forced to trade or lost via free agency for salary considerations.

I can add Larry Hisle, Chuck Knoblauch, and Frank 'Sweet Music' Viola to that list.
Nevermind then, I mistook what you were driving at. But since that is what you meant:

Knoblauch- Demanded to be traded not because of money, but he wanted to be on a winner. At time Minnesota was in a serious rebuilding mode after Pucket, Hrbek, and such retired. The team got Brian Buchanan, Cristian Guzman, Eric Milton, Danny Mota, and cash. Guzman was pretty good for a few years, but has seriously dropped off since leaving for Washington. Knoblauch was near awful after leaving the team too, it was a blessing that he demanded out.

Viola- Rick Aguilera, David West, Kevin Tapani, Jack Savage, and Tim Drummond came in the trade. That was a very bright move by the team IMO. The team gained some nice arms in return in Aguilera and Tapani.

Hisle left as a FA to the Brewers.

Rod Carew- ended up being a bad trade as they got little in return. But he demanded a trade because he was frustrated by the Twins' inability to keep its young stars and racist comments made by team owner Calvin Griffith.

Wynegar- bad trade by the Twins getting nothing in return of note.

Roy Smalley- traded for Ron Davis, Paul Boris, and Greg Gagne. Very smart move.

Zahn- came to the team as a FA and only stayed a couple years and then signed with California.

Blyleven- traded (along with Danny Thompson) for Bill Singer, Roy Smalley, Mike Cubbage, Jim Gideon, and $250,000. Not a wonderful trade by any means but Smalley led to Gagne. Blyleven was unhappy being on a crap team and asked to be sent packing.

So out of the guys you mentioned, only Hisle, Zahn, Carew, and Blyleven didn’t work out the greatest. And Bert came back and won a ring with the Twins. The other moves were pretty smart. I wouldn’t argue money was the reason they were traded either as Knoblauch and Blyleven saw the crapiness of the team and demanded out, Carew had his reasons to demand out. The Twins weren’t losing these guys mentioned because of money, but because they either demanded out or they worked out a trade to improve the team. Overall, these moves worked out for the team.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote:Playoff run? :lol:
If they kept him, yes. Liriano is a mean pitcher also. The lineup will be helped with the addition of Young and Harris. Hunter wll be missed, but Young at the plate should put up similar numbers, Harris will outdo Bartlett. Pretty much, the team still would be basically the same as last year, but a better bat playing 3rd (or short whichever he's put at.) Castilla should improve with time under his belt from last year.

Yes, Cleveland and Detroit are forces to be recogned with but Minnesota should stay in the race considering their strong pitching staff and decent lineup.

If they would trade him, obviously it depends on who is brought in. If they bring in an OFer to play center and another good IF the lineup would be solid all around. The staff would obviously take a step down, but the team has some good young arms that can all pitch. Likely they wouldn't have a true ace anymore, but a good enough rotation and still would have a great bullpen.