Hobbies -- silly or otherwise

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Hobbies -- silly or otherwise

Post by DeeEss57 »

Besides sports, my passions are Star Trek (which includes collecting memorabilia and writing short stories), classic (and not-so-classic) sci-fi movies of the 50s and 60s, computer games and my kitties. As soon as I get myself a digital camera, that will also become a passion.

And, speaking of Star Trek, is anyone else as tired of Shatner's whining about not being in the new movie as me? Good God, Bill, get a life!

Dawn
From many... One.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Not much time for any... but I'm starting to plan a outdoor, real steam, model railroad for a small area of our lot. Could grow or die at this point.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: Hobbies -- silly or otherwise

Post by DanAS1 »

DeeEss57 wrote:Besides sports, my passions are Star Trek (which includes collecting memorabilia and writing short stories), classic (and not-so-classic) sci-fi movies of the 50s and 60s, computer games and my kitties. As soon as I get myself a digital camera, that will also become a passion.

And, speaking of Star Trek, is anyone else as tired of Shatner's whining about not being in the new movie as me? Good God, Bill, get a life!

Dawn
From many... One.

I agree. As much as I loved his Captain Kirk character, I'm satisfied with watching the old guys on re-runs.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Music is my number one hobby. Listening and playing. Mostly rock of any kind and lately listening to where some of it came from (Old country music, blues, etc).

In high school I played Baritone and Tuba but haven't been able to keep those interests up (Buying either one of those costs more money than I have to spend right now.)

I also play Bass guitar and drums and own a drum set, bass guitar, a couple amps, and a guitar that I try desperately to play but don't do a very good job.

I also like computers. I troubleshoot them for a living and play with them in my spare time. I have 3 main computers at home for me and my two room mates that I built and several old machines that I use for spare parts and can put together if we get company and want to play something over the lan.

That goes hand in hand with my other hobby, which is gaming. I've been playing a lot of guitar hero in the last year. Me and my room mates also play guild wars which is an online game. We used to play Final Fantasy XI and each had 170+ Days into it before we quit (That's 24 hours of actual gaming multiplied by 170 ... we actually played it for two years). I also play some madden, various other sports games, grand theft auto, RPGs mainly consisting of the final fantasy series.

I also watch anime. There's a lot out there and I try to take in as much as possible, but until recently I had to buy it instead of watch it online which limited what I could see. Some of my favorite series in no particular order;

Series
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist
Samurai Champloo
Naruto & Naruto Shippuuden
DBZ
Bleach
YuYu Hakusho
Baki The Grappler
Rurouni Kenshin
Trigun
Gunslinger Girl

Movies
Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
Princess Mononoke
Various DBZ movies
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Vampire Hunter D
Blood - The last Vampire

There are probably more but that's a pretty good list. Movies and TV shows are another hobby, but there are far more of those to list so I won't do it.
Magnus1959
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Magnus1959 »

Cliff wrote:
I also watch anime.
I have also watched a lot of anime you have listed. Yeah I know, I'm 48. Got to watching it with my son and got hooked.
novellahub
Transition Player

Post by novellahub »

Computers and Web Development (Java, PHP, MySQL) are my number one hobbies right now. Right now I am heavy into Linux for HTPC's (Mythtv) and Desktop/Server machines (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Puppy Linux). I also build computers for friends and family.

Up to recently I raced competatively in Radio Control Racing (Electric only). My kids are starting to grow up more so I don't have much time for racing anymore.

I also enjoy Anime (Narato, Blood +, Inyurasha), Sci-Fi (Star Trek), CSI, and Law and Order shows. I don't game often but when I do I play Madden and 2K Basketball games on the Xbox 360.
Joe
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Farming.
Although I've never farmed in my life, I own a wilderness lodge in the interior of Alaska that sits smack dab in the middle of some of the best Blueberry country in the world. So after struggling almost 20 years in the lodge business, I made the decision to turn the property into a Blueberry farm. Right now, it's a hobby. Hopefully in a couple years, it'll provide some income (Before I starve to death.)
I'm also a falconer, which is why I bought the lodge to begin with (So I could fly my hawks every day at 3:00 pm.)

So now you guys also know why I'm always frantic to find an internet link to the Vikings game every weekend. When the game is not on network TV, through dish network satellite, I can either not watch it or drive 300 miles to the nearest Sports bar.
Unfortunately, I didn't discover "Sop cast" until half way through this season, so I missed a lot of games. But this Forum (The best there is!) sure was a Godsend until Sop cast.
You guys really kept me in the game with the "Game day Thread" and I thank you for it!
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

I've been into off roading for a long time, I have a lifted Jeep Cherokee. I also enjoy riding snowmobiles and 4 wheelers. I am usually listening to some type of music as well. and i like to watch movies, my favorites are good action movies and comedies.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I'm also a falconer, which is why I bought the lodge to begin with (So I could fly my hawks every day at 3:00 pm.)
That sounds like an amazing hobby. I've always wanted to visit Alaska, and hopefully will sometime in the relatively near future. I've heard real estate there is rather pricey, which I thought was a bit surprising. But that might only be in the Anchorage area.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

808vikingsfan wrote:Golfing. Seems like everyone golfs here in Hawaii (so hard to get a tee time).

Playing acoustic guitar. Funny, I can only play songs from one artist. Jack Johnson. If you haven't heard his music, it's folk, pop, with an island feel. It just mellows you out on tough days.

Taking pictures. I wouldn't call it photography. I love taking pictures but I really don't think I have that photographer's 'eye' . I just get lucky sometimes.
I think if i lived in Hawaii, golfing and photography would make perfect sense.
Viking Biker
Rookie

Post by Viking Biker »

My hobbies include motorcycles (duh), cars, playing Guitar Hero on the Xbox, and grilling meat. I make the best dad gum steaks in town. Ask anyone. 8)