A-Rod Still A Yankee

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

A-Rod Still A Yankee

Post by wang_chi7 »

$275 million over 10 years. Are we kidding? A-Rod is the best player in the game, no doubt, but he isn't that good. His first contract was overpriced and this one is even bigger. And he won't be in his prime for long. He's 32 and is likely not on the juice. That means he probably has 3-4 real good years left and likely won't ever match this last season's performance.

He'll sooner or later become very average defensively, if not a liability. Then they are paying 27.5 mil a year for a DH or average first baseman. He'll likely keep his power for a while (thats the last thing that leaves, along with a good eye for the strike zone), but his other attributes will surely dip.

Moves like this are why the Yankees have that completely insane payroll but do jack with it. It sounded like the rest of the market was a little more sain going for about a 100 million less. The Angels owner was at the Oregon-Arizona game last night and he was asked straight out what his bid was. He laughingly said half what the Yankees offered.

With that 275 million they could have gotten Torii Hunter, Andrew Jones, and possibly a decent 4th-5th starter on top of that. Good luck Yankees!
Magnus1959
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Magnus1959 »

Obviously the Yankees think he is worth it. Hey I'm for any player getting all they can. If nobody thinks he worth it, they won't pay him. If Arod is going to get boo'd by his own fans, he might as well get as much as he can.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Magnus1959 wrote:Obviously the Yankees think he is worth it. Hey I'm for any player getting all they can. If nobody thinks he worth it, they won't pay him. If Arod is going to get boo'd by his own fans, he might as well get as much as he can.
I definitely don't blame A-Rod. I'd take the deal too! I just think the Yankees were extremely stupid here. Thats OK though, I like it when they suck.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: A-Rod Still A Yankee

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote:
With that 275 million they could have gotten Torii Hunter, Andrew Jones, and possibly a decent 4th-5th starter on top of that. Good luck Yankees!
I'm starting to hate 'em as much as I hate the Redskins.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'm just jealous of skins and yankees. Their owner actually cares. :(

Twins said the same thing about Hunter. Too old, can't give him 5 years. We'll talk to you after the year. He has his best year and is going to cash in. Good call for them. ;)
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote:I'm just jealous of skins and yankees. Their owner actually cares. :(
It would be nice to have an owner like them too. Though its fair to say neither get it done with all their wheeling and dealing.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

wang_chi7 wrote: It would be nice to have an owner like them too. Though its fair to say neither get it done with all their wheeling and dealing.
Since the Twins last won a World Series the Yankees have won, 4 is it? Not too shabby! :lol:

I'm sure an extra 50+ million would go a long way towards making those division winning playoff bust Twins teams actual legitimate threats in the playoffs.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote: Since the Twins last won a World Series the Yankees have won, 4 is it? Not too shabby! :lol:

I'm sure an extra 50+ million would go a long way towards making those division winning playoff bust Twins teams actual legitimate threats in the playoffs.
I agree on the 50 million. It wouldn't guarantee anything but it would help. Those 4 rings really are despite the Big Stein. When he's hands on they go overboard on free agents and go nowhere. He did it for 20 years before the rings and ever since them too. When he lets his GM do his job, they generally win.