Is it still "Just a Game"?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

44_viking
Veteran

Is it still "Just a Game"?

Post by 44_viking »

Do you ever get non-sports people rolling their eyes or shaking their heads at you because of the time or money you spend following sports. Than, sooner or later they give you the "it's just a game" line.

I was just thinking about it today.....is it still just a game? :govikes:
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Re: Is it still "Just a Game"?

Post by VikingMachine »

44_viking wrote:Do you ever get non-sports people rolling their eyes or shaking their heads at you because of the time or money you spend following sports. Than, sooner or later they give you the "it's just a game" line.

I was just thinking about it today.....is it still just a game? :govikes:
Yep.

People have money for what they want. I had a buddy the other day give me the tsk tsk for spending $2000 on a HD TV and asked how i could possibly afford it. I asked him how much he spent in one year on golf, hunting and fishing....he gave me the "I get it now" nod after that as he easily spends more than that each year himself on those activities.

Every person here can afford Vikings season tickets if it were important enough to them to have them for example but they dont as there are other things they would rather spend their money on.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

VikingMachine wrote:Every person here can afford Vikings season tickets if it were important enough to them to have them for example but they dont as there are other things they would rather spend their money on.
The tickets ain't the problem. Its the hotel, eating out, gas, etc. I definitely can't afford it. Sorry.

Plus there is 8 weekend people would have to ask off from work to make it to the game. Or at least Sunday off. That just doesn't work at every job.

And, yes it is just a game. I can tend to forget that sometimes, we all do. But in the end it is just a silly kids game that we watch a bunch of millionaire grown ups play.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

wang_chi7 wrote: The tickets ain't the problem. Its the hotel, eating out, gas, etc. I definitely can't afford it. Sorry.
No you could if you really wanted to. Would you have to sacrifice other things? Proboboly. Would you maybe even have to have another part time job? Maybe. People afford what they want.
44_viking
Veteran

Post by 44_viking »

I could have answered my own question I guess. lol

In its rawest form yeah I think it is just a game we all like to watch, follow and play. But, given our emotional investments in our favorite players and teams plus our $ investments in tickets and mechandise it gets to be a little more than just a game. Certainly not life or death issues but definetly something we care a great deal about.

Not sure if there's a point here :? , just a thought that I've been thinking about as we have all been pondering Chill, T-jack, AD and the other issues surrounding the Vikes. :govikes:
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

While I agree it is just a game, its also a lot more at times. Im a pay check to pay check person, since my divorce. BUT I love the Vikings so I find a way to go to a game or two per season. Where it becomes more than a game, to me at least, is when my 2 sons and I look back at the memories and good times we had because of the game. My boys still talk about the Vikings/KC game we went at Christmas a couple years ago, one of our best Christmas' we've had. Pepp to Moss, the "FRO" by all the players, my kids will never forget it, it was more than just a game to them and me, it was a great experience which has made life long memories. Football is just a game, but like anything, it can be a lot more IMO.
KKingStyle
Hall of Famer

Post by KKingStyle »

VikingMachine wrote: No you could if you really wanted to. Would you have to sacrifice other things? Proboboly. Would you maybe even have to have another part time job? Maybe. People afford what they want.
I can't afford a Laborginni right now, are you suggesting that I should be able to by simply dropping out of school and getting another job?

The opportunity cost of doing so is huge, and not affordable.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

KKingStyle wrote: I can't afford a Laborginni right now, are you suggesting that I should be able to by simply dropping out of school and getting another job?

hehehe
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

For me, it's more than just a game, it's stress relief. Especially being there live, I yell at everyone. Opposing fans/refs/etc. I usually feel a lot better afterwards. :lol:
Magnus1959
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Magnus1959 »

I have a neighbor that told me she thinks it's stupid for people spending money on sports paraphernalia pointing out a sign on my door. Course she is also an annoying preachy liberal who believes we should all be miserable if there is one unhappy person in the world.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

purple guy wrote:While I agree it is just a game, its also a lot more at times. Im a pay check to pay check person, since my divorce. BUT I love the Vikings so I find a way to go to a game or two per season. Where it becomes more than a game, to me at least, is when my 2 sons and I look back at the memories and good times we had because of the game. My boys still talk about the Vikings/KC game we went at Christmas a couple years ago, one of our best Christmas' we've had. Pepp to Moss, the "FRO" by all the players, my kids will never forget it, it was more than just a game to them and me, it was a great experience which has made life long memories. Football is just a game, but like anything, it can be a lot more IMO.
Great point, some of my favorite memories are sports related. Some of my least favorite too! We put a lot of emotion into the games, in a way you are right that makes it something more.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

KKingStyle wrote: I can't afford a Laborginni right now, are you suggesting that I should be able to by simply dropping out of school and getting another job?

Apples and oranges. Why pick a laborginni (whatever that is), why not pick The Trump Towers....
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Bread and circuses.

Humans have a natural tribal instinct, and sports cater to that instinct.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike: