Twins acquire outfielder

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Twins acquire outfielder

Post by DeeEss57 »

From the Twins:

TWINS ACQUIRE OF CRAIG MONROE FROM CUBS

The Minnesota Twins announced today that they have acquired
outfielder Craig Monroe from the Chicago Cubs in exchange
for a player to be named later.

Monroe, 30, batted .219 (86-for-392) with 23 doubles, 12
home runs and 59 rbi in 122 games last season (99 with
Detroit and 23 with Chicago). He was traded from the Tigers
to the Cubs on August 22, 2007. In 2006, he batted .255
(138-for-541) with 35 doubles, two triples, 28 home runs and
92 rbi for the Tigers.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder has a career batting average of
.256 (628-for-2499) with 135 doubles, nine triples, 104 home
runs and 388 rbi in 722 games.

Just what we need. A .250 hitter with little power. I thought they were going to UPgrade the offense.

Dawn
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Seems like a good move. He was pretty darn bad last year, hopefully that was an abberation. He's not a great offensive player by any means but should add to the team and even finally bring stability to LF which has been a problem for years. He'll most likely be more of a role player though.

Now they need to take care of CF. If thats signing Hunter then wonderful, though I wouldn't offer much over 16 mil. for the next 4 years as he's 32 and past his prime. He likely will only have 3 really good years left. Don't resign him just for the sake of resigning him, that wasted money over his value will come in useful with Santana, Mauer, and Morneau coming up.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Good move...bah. They brought in another past his prime player on the cheap hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. He'll be done halfway through the year at most, like their recent acquisitions.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Good. Another player who can't hit. Wonderful.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Good. Another player who can't hit. Wonderful.
I'd rather have him starting than Rondel White or Lew Ford. .250 average isn't bad, obviously its not great but I wouldn't say he can't hit. Last season was just awful for him, but even Andrew Jones can have a down year. I'd expect Monroe to get back to his career average. He'll likely hit 20 homers too, something the Twins desperately need.

He hits against lefties very well, so I wonder if he will be used in a platoon system.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: Twins acquire outfielder

Post by DanAS1 »

DeeEss57 wrote:From the Twins:

TWINS ACQUIRE OF CRAIG MONROE FROM CUBS

The Minnesota Twins announced today that they have acquired
outfielder Craig Monroe from the Chicago Cubs in exchange
for a player to be named later.

Monroe, 30, batted .219 (86-for-392) with 23 doubles, 12
home runs and 59 rbi in 122 games last season (99 with
Detroit and 23 with Chicago). He was traded from the Tigers
to the Cubs on August 22, 2007. In 2006, he batted .255
(138-for-541) with 35 doubles, two triples, 28 home runs and
92 rbi for the Tigers.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder has a career batting average of
.256 (628-for-2499) with 135 doubles, nine triples, 104 home
runs and 388 rbi in 722 games.
Pohlad and his minions seem hell-bent on competing with the Royals. If this new acquisition had amassed 8 fewer hits last year he wouldn't have even crossed the Mendoza line. But hey, in the Triple AAA team formerly known as the Minnesota Twins, he'll fit in well. :x
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Twins acquire outfielder

Post by wang_chi7 »

DanAS1 wrote: Pohlad and his minions seem hell-bent on competing with the Royals. If this new acquisition had amassed 8 fewer hits last year he wouldn't have even crossed the Mendoza line. But hey, in the Triple AAA team formerly known as the Minnesota Twins, he'll fit in well. :x
8 more hits and he hit .240 which isn't good, but decent. Batting average over one year is kind of pointless. The difference in 25 points is very minimal. Yeah, he had a bad year last year, but he's proven to be a decent hitter over his career. Especially against lefties, where he's very good. If they use him in a platoon he will serve the team well.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Don't expect me to run out and purchase season tickets.

This guy is a journeyman. I guess he works out with Torii Hunter in the offseason.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Minniman wrote:Don't expect me to run out and purchase season tickets.

This guy is a journeyman. I guess he works out with Torii Hunter in the offseason.
Are they going to open their wallets when the new stadium comes in?
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

DanAS1 wrote: Are they going to open their wallets when the new stadium comes in?
Historically, teams have a major boom in income for the first 3 years in a park. They will roll in the dough then and hopefully add payroll. But with Pohlad as owner, I have my doubts.

After about 5 years though, the park won't be an advantage financially anymore, historically speaking. But if they are smart and take care of it eventually they could have a Wrigley or Fenway on their hands. I just don't understand why teams don't see that the best parks are the old ones and if they just took care of what they had they would be in a great financial situation instead of begging for a new place to play every 25 years. :evil:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

There was an interview on KFAN in the past where they said the income would increase 40 million with the new stadium, and that 20 of that would go back into the team. That's what I heard anyway.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote:There was an interview on KFAN in the past where they said the income would increase 40 million with the new stadium, and that 20 of that would go back into the team. That's what I heard anyway.
That sounds about right. Hopefully that extra income is used to keep their cornerstone players. I'm just psyched to finally see outdoor baseball in Minneapolis. Domes should be outlawed!