Glen Talyor Interview

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Glen Talyor Interview

Post by wang_chi7 »

I found this interview very interesting. Its a long read, but worth it. Kind of explains why McHale is still the GM and has little insites about some former Twolves that fans wouldn't know about.

Part 1: http://www.twincities.com/ci_7301055?nclick_check=1

Part 2: http://www.twincities.com/ci_7308142?nclick_check=1

It doesn't quite turn me around on my views on McHale, but does shed some nice light.
Bill Carson
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Glen Talyor Interview

Post by Bill Carson »

wang_chi7 wrote:I found this interview very interesting. Its a long read, but worth it. Kind of explains why McHale is still the GM and has little insites about some former Twolves that fans wouldn't know about.

Part 1: http://www.twincities.com/ci_7301055?nclick_check=1

Part 2: http://www.twincities.com/ci_7308142?nclick_check=1

It doesn't quite turn me around on my views on McHale, but does shed some nice light.
Thanks for the link!

Sounds like Taylor is trying to put the blame on KG and Saunders. Hard to believe that KG had that kind of influence on which players stayed, which left, that KG "flip" flopped on Saunders, that he had players not covering for each other on the floor.. this just seems crazy.

To me it smells like the syndrome where you blame the guy who just left the company for everything that goes wrong for the next 6 months.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Bill Carson wrote:To me it smells like the syndrome where you blame the guy who just left the company for everything that goes wrong for the next 6 months.
I kind of got that feeling too. But also thought maybe he felt like keeping quite until the people mentioned were gone. Opening up internal struggles to the public while the people are still there is not a good thing to do. Not sure what to think about it.
Bill Carson
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bill Carson »

wang_chi7 wrote: I kind of got that feeling too. But also thought maybe he felt like keeping quite until the people mentioned were gone. Opening up internal struggles to the public while the people are still there is not a good thing to do. Not sure what to think about it.
I agree opening internal issues to the public would have been a bad idea, but if they knew about these problems why didn't they take care of them??? Seems like it wouldn't have been that hard to tell a player that if he's pulling some crap on the floor, because he doesn't like another player, that's unacceptable. ...and their solution of trading KG to cure these woes was throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Do they really think they'll find another franchise player...HoF player... in the draft with their new draft picks? Unlikely considering their draft history.

It just flies in the face of KG's attitude to me. KG wanted to win...not just play with his buddies and waste season after season. KG is also on record of being a Flip supporter and defender. Can we really believe that KG said all the supportive things he said about Flip, while really he was telling Taylor and McHale he didn't want to play for him? Too convenient. Too easy of a scapegoat. I would love to hear KG's reaction to these articles.

I don't remember who...but I heard a radio intv'w recently of someone who talked to KG at a Celtics practice. He described KG as feeling wounded, still shocked that he was traded.

Geez I was over the trade, looking forward to Al Jefferson and the new season until I read these LIES!! There's something rotten over at 600 1st Ave.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

If the Celtics, who are now 8-0, win the East, and the Timberwolves, now 1-7, end up in the cellar, will Kevin McHale finally get his walking papers?

The three top players on the Celtics are long time Celtic Paul Pierce with former Timberwolves players Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. Of course Ray Allen was traded by McHale on draft day much like ROY Brandon Roy was last season.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

We're rebuilding, you can't fire a GM or coach during a rebuild!

And people wonder why Minnesota fans are a little jaded. One of the worst NBA franchises, with a terrible GM, terrible Coach, terrible roster. On the cheap fly by night MLB team, bottom NFL team. Hey, we got the wild. It's just too bad they didnt think about what sunk them last season, too many small not terribly physical puck handlers.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Demi wrote:We're rebuilding, you can't fire a GM or coach during a rebuild!

And people wonder why Minnesota fans are a little jaded. One of the worst NBA franchises, with a terrible GM, terrible Coach, terrible roster. On the cheap fly by night MLB team, bottom NFL team. Hey, we got the wild. It's just too bad they didnt think about what sunk them last season, too many small not terribly physical puck handlers.
Anything else you are an expert on Demi? Maybe you should be a consultant to all MN professional sports teams.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

VikingMachine wrote: Anything else you are an expert on Demi? Maybe you should be a consultant to all MN professional sports teams.
Maybe you should be a whining kool aid drinking troll to the stars.

I just posted in vikings talk, better go respond to that!
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Demi wrote:And people wonder why Minnesota fans are a little jaded. One of the worst NBA franchises, with a terrible GM, terrible Coach, terrible roster. On the cheap fly by night MLB team, bottom NFL team. Hey, we got the wild. It's just too bad they didnt think about what sunk them last season, too many small not terribly physical puck handlers.
I agree.

I was hoping the Wild would get a physical center or at least a top defenseman, but the Wild are still fun to watch.

I can't even stand to watch NBA games.

As was stated in another thread, having to watch three potential Hall of Fame ex-Minnesota players (Moss, KG, and Ortiz) playing in Boston is really tough to see.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

KG and Company made it look easy again tonight.

Considering Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and ROY Roy were all drafted and traded by McHale, and McHale failed to give Chauncey Billups a good contract, even without the Joe Smith fiasco, this team could have been really good.

At the end of the season, McHale will have a lot of balls ... in the draft lottery that is.