Hunter Files for Free Agency

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Hunter Files for Free Agency

Post by wang_chi7 »

Stupid cheap Pohlad. Good luck signing him now, I'm sure he was offering a hometown discount. Now it will take market value.

If they weren't going to get the deal done, why didn't they trade him in July? At least get something for him. Its crap like this thats no wonder why the team doesn't get anywhere. At least get something for him, don't let him walk :x

Yeah, they do have a disadvantage against big market clubs. But with smarts they can shorten that gap. If the Mets and Cubs have shown us anything, its that money doesn't decide how good a team is. It starts in the front office.

They have 15 days before the market opens to strike a deal.

They better use the now open funds to lock in Mauer, Santana, and Morneau. Or at least two of them and trade the other (preferably keeping the former two.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3086066
vikingman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by vikingman »

I read in another article and I wish I could remember where it was that Hunter declined to listen to anything as he wanted to test the free agent waters first. If I can find the column again I will let you know. I am not a big American League follower as I usually pay more attention to the National League and follow the Cubs however, I do keep an eye on the Twins as I have always liked them.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

vikingman wrote:I read in another article and I wish I could remember where it was that Hunter declined to listen to anything as he wanted to test the free agent waters first. If I can find the column again I will let you know. I am not a big American League follower as I usually pay more attention to the National League and follow the Cubs however, I do keep an eye on the Twins as I have always liked them.
Same here. Huge Cubs fan, but Twins are nearby and Kirby was my fav growing up. They're my AL team and the team I see most live.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: Hunter Files for Free Agency

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote:
They have 15 days before the market opens to strike a deal.

They better use the now open funds to lock in Mauer, Santana, and Morneau. Or at least two of them and trade the other (preferably keeping the former two.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3086066
I have a very, very bad feeling about things with the Twins. They're just too cheap to get the job done. Oh sure, they'll keep Mauer, as he's that local golden boy. But the dude is neither a pitcher nor an "every day player." He's a catcher who, like so many other catchers, battles injuries. [It's not natural for a human being to play that position; there's too much wear and tear on the body.]

Santana is a great player. How can you lose a guy like that? But the Twins will, in fact, lose him. The odds are very strong in that direction. They probably figure they can replace him with Liriano. Funny, though, nobody said "Spahn and ... Spahn and pray for rain." That doesn't rhyme, and that won't win you the World Series, either.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote: Same here. Huge Cubs fan, but Twins are nearby and Kirby was my fav growing up. They're my AL team and the team I see most live.
It's pathetic enough to be a Vikes fan. But a Vikes fan AND a Cubs fan? That's called being a schlemozel.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

DanAS1 wrote: It's pathetic enough to be a Vikes fan. But a Vikes fan AND a Cubs fan? That's called being a schlemozel.
Oh, it doesn't stop there. My college FB team is Nebraska. :injury:

And, while I don't watch much NBA anymore, my two teams are the Knicks and Twolves. :injury:

I really know how to pick 'em. In the 90's I was doing OK team wise, but I'm hurting now. Sometimes I wish I was a bandwagoner.
vikingman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by vikingman »

wang_chi7 wrote: Oh, it doesn't stop there. My college FB team is Nebraska. :injury:

And, while I don't watch much NBA anymore, my two teams are the Knicks and Twolves. :injury:

I really know how to pick 'em. In the 90's I was doing OK team wise, but I'm hurting now. Sometimes I wish I was a bandwagoner.
Mine doesn't get much better then yours. I follow Kansas State football. Can't believe that KU is kicking butt this year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

vikingman wrote: Mine doesn't get much better then yours. I follow Kansas State football. Can't believe that KU is kicking butt this year.

My football team in the 90s was the Buffalo Bills. As fun as it was to watch them in the Reg season, the SB losses (freakin four in a row) were heartbreaking.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote:[

Hey, it has advantages. I think one of the reasons my wife feels secure in our marriage is that I never switch sports teams, no matter how much they suck.