Best food in Minny

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

tboltzcali
Practice Squad

Best food in Minny

Post by tboltzcali »

He guys/gals,
We are traveling up from San Diego this weekend to catch the upcoming game sunday. Im wondering what kind of food is Minny specially known for? Like, chicago is known for pizza and hot dogs, NY is pizza, KC is BBQ. What kind of food is a real must have when I visit out there? Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

Lutefisk

/thread
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Best food in Minny

Post by PurpleMustReign »

tboltzcali wrote:He guys/gals,
We are traveling up from San Diego this weekend to catch the upcoming game sunday. Im wondering what kind of food is Minny specially known for? Like, chicago is known for pizza and hot dogs, NY is pizza, KC is BBQ. What kind of food is a real must have when I visit out there? Hope someone can help. Thanks.

I know we have good fish (Walleye is good if you like fish), but other than that... I really don't know. We've stolen a lot of our foods from other cities :)
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

I guess nothing real special like with Chicago, New York, or other cities. I guess I would say walleye if I had to choose.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Walleye with wild rice soup is pretty Minnesotan.

Make sure it is Walleye and not Zander. Serving Zander (European Walleye) instead of true Walleye is a cheap trick that some restaurants will do.

The problem with Minnesota is that it was settled by Scandinavian peoples, and being located in the middle of a continent sort of keeps many Scandinavian ocean and sea based foods from being served often.

There are a few good old world German food restaurants around. I drive down to the Bayrischer Hof in Montrose a few times each year. There used to be some fine German restaurants in New Ulm as well, but I have not been there for many years.

Bayrischer Hof
Last edited by Minniman on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:Make sure it is Walleye and not Zander. Serving Zander (European Walleye) instead of true Walley is a cheap trick that some restaurants will do.

The problem with Minnesota is that it was settled by Scandinavian peoples, and being located in the middle of a continent sort of keeps many Scandinavian ocean and sea based foods from being served often.
Both very good points. Is using zander still a problem? Restaurants got caught a few years back doing it I remember, which is illegal.

I never buy walleye in a restaurant personally though, I catch it myself.

The only German foods I eat I guess are bratwurst, sausage, kielbasa (I guess thats Polish), and beer. I feel bad as thats my ancestry, but I usually eat Italian or Chinese for ethnic food. I guess I'm not much help in pointing out good German places.
godfather

Minny Food

Post by godfather »

Go and get yourself a Juicy Lucy from the 5 - 8 Club in Mpls. it is near the airport. Tasty burger
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Well, first off the pride of Minneapolis food is co-op groceries! There are like 15 in the MSP area, with organic wonderfulness. The Wedge is a good one, and there's plenty more.

You should also try the Summit Pale Ales, which I buy every time I'm back up North. You know, it is not all that much different from the other great pale ales (like Sierra Nevada down in CA), but it's a local Minnesota beer that is well made. In Wisconsin they have the New Glarus which is also worth trying out.

Wild Rice is a great Minnesota food, but generally I hate Scandinavian/ Lutheran #### dishes. All these casseroles with hard boiled eggs and frozen spinach and it just brings me nightmares. But if you stick to the co-ops it's good, and if you're in Metropolitan areas you'll find some good restaurants, just go by campus and look for wherever a bunch of bikes are parked.

German food #### sucks too, and I'm German and Norweigan. If you live in San Diego you don't want #### #### German food or Norweigan food. Just try to find some progressive ethnic restaurants in a cool area of town.