World Series

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

World Series

Post by wang_chi7 »

Who you got? How many games?

I really hope the Rockies win it, but don't see it. Especially with how the Sox are hitting tonight.

Red Sox in 6.

On a side note, if you were Francona, would you play Ortiz in the games at Colorado? Its not as easy of an answer as it seems. Ortiz's knee is hurting and he already is a poor fielder. Youkilis and Lowell are both very good players, either one being hard to take out.

I think I'd play him, I guess benching Youk when they go against a righty. Which is hard for me to say, he's one of my favorite players. Doesn't have the amazing skills of other players but his extreme patience at the plate pays off big time. Lowell is just too good defensively to bench (in doing so moving Youk over to 3rd.)
jackal
Strong Safety

wow

Post by jackal »

I would be surprised if the Rockies last six Games to be honest.
The AL is a much stronger than the NL IMO.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: wow

Post by wang_chi7 »

jackal wrote:I would be surprised if the Rockies last six Games to be honest.
The AL is a much stronger than the NL IMO.
The way game 1 was, I'd be surprised too. I posted my projection when it was still a ballgame (sort of.) Though, it is just one more game.

You're right on the AL. The best NL teams probably miss the playoffs if they were in the AL right now. Its been that way for a while now, but the difference recently has become very large.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

I could see it going 6. Beckett has been absolutely lights out this post season. Schilling and Dice-K, not so much.

I could see a Boston sweep. Beckett has been absolutely lights out this post season. Schilling and Dice-K have been rocking too!

;)
Last edited by glg on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

glg wrote:I could see it going 6. Beckett has been absolutely lights out this post season. Schilling and Dice-K, not so much.

I'm going to say Rockies in 7. They have been playing their tails off since mid-September, and the entire time they were basically one loss from elimination. They have had their backs to the wall, and they kind of remind me of the '87 Twins.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I'm going to say Rockies in 7. They have been playing their tails off since mid-September, and the entire time they were basically one loss from elimination. They have had their backs to the wall, and they kind of remind me of the '87 Twins.
They may have a tough time now. They pretty much have to win all their home games and either game 6 or 7. I'm sure plenty of teams have come back from 0-2, but not a lot.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

wang_chi7 wrote: They may have a tough time now. They pretty much have to win all their home games and either game 6 or 7. I'm sure plenty of teams have come back from 0-2, but not a lot.

Well, it looks bleaker for the Rockies now... down 6-0 in the 4th. If they lose this one, the series is all but over.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

wow

Post by jackal »

If the Rockies don't win game 3 I think they will get
swept honestly. If they game 3 I can see maybe six games
but I doubt it. The Red Sox are killing the ball right now.

Post Script

Ha Ha Yankees ....................
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Post Script

Ha Ha Yankees ....................
Red Sox, proving not only the Yankees can buy World Series. Yay for no salary cap!
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

That was quite an anti-climax series. I don't know if the Rockies would have done better without the 8 day layoff, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have gotten swept at least.

Boston deserves the ring; they were the best team year round. Usually the best team April-September doesn't win the title; I'm glad to see this year that happened.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

wang_chi7 wrote:That was quite an anti-climax series. I don't know if the Rockies would have done better without the 8 day layoff, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have gotten swept at least.
This kinda gets back to last year when everyone was saying the NL was more like AAAA. The difference was that last year, the Cards had a team with quite a few really good players, they'd just had injuries holding them back in the regular season. The number of really good players on the Rockies is pretty small.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

glg wrote: This kinda gets back to last year when everyone was saying the NL was more like AAAA. The difference was that last year, the Cards had a team with quite a few really good players, they'd just had injuries holding them back in the regular season. The number of really good players on the Rockies is pretty small.
How good the leagues are doesn't really matter in the series. What matters is the two teams that are in it. The AL has been the best league for a number of years now, that doesn't stop the NL from winning it from time to time. Its all about the matchup that year. Thats why the Cards won last year, they were a good team that got hot at the right time.

The Rockies are still very young and overachieved this year, they should compete for the next few years depending what their guys rake in in arbitration. I doubt they pull a Marlins and have a firesale, as they bring in decent crowds and historically have had decent payroll budgets.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Demi wrote: Red Sox, proving not only the Yankees can buy World Series. Yay for no salary cap!
Considering the American League has been represented by either the Yankees or Red Sox in eight of the thirteen (62%) World Series since the players' strike, I'd have to agree.

In the offseason, Twins fans have to worry about losing Hunter and Santana, while Yankees and Red Sox fans are looking at the free agents that can be purchased or traded for in a contract year to help their teams like Hunter and Santana.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike: