the war on pbs

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

the war on pbs

Post by mefford76 »

anyone else watch this awesome documentary? i learned so much. i have seen so many of these things, but this was by far the most extensive. the horrors that happened back then. really helps me understand more of what my grandparents went through.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Re: the war on pbs

Post by Kansas Viking »

mefford76 wrote:anyone else watch this awesome documentary? i learned so much. i have seen so many of these things, but this was by far the most extensive. the horrors that happened back then. really helps me understand more of what my grandparents went through.
I've been catching it when I can. Usually on Wednesday's, but you are right. It's an awesome documentary. Love the Ken Burns series. He always does excellent work.
Mike

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

I haven't watched it because I want to watch it in order and I couldn't see a few episodes because I was busy. I highly enjoy Ken Burns's work. I will likely rent it from Netflix when it becomes available, if not buy it. His sets are very expensive though, I think I payed over $150 for "Baseball."
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I've heard good things but haven't seen it yet. I'm assuming they will rerun it again?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

It's been rerunning now for a while hasnt it? I try to catch it and have seen the beginning of the same episode four times.

My one question, is it in timeline form? It seems like it, but jumps from theatre to theatre and I can't tell if that is what is going on at the same time, which would be great. I'd just like to see the continuation at one point.

Anyway, it is amazing to see the things that all these veterans went through. And to know just how many are out there.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Demi wrote:It's been rerunning now for a while hasnt it? I try to catch it and have seen the beginning of the same episode four times.

My one question, is it in timeline form? It seems like it, but jumps from theatre to theatre and I can't tell if that is what is going on at the same time, which would be great. I'd just like to see the continuation at one point.

Anyway, it is amazing to see the things that all these veterans went through. And to know just how many are out there.
I believe the beginning is the same for all episodes. I haven't watched it (I missed the first couple episodes and want to watch in order), but thats what I've heard. In some of his other docs, he has similar intros for all episodes.

The series finished up last night, I have to look up if it will be running again soon.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

You know, every time I look at this subject header, I think... Why would someone want to make war on paperbacks? :)

Dawn
Avid reader of paperbacks. Not so avid watcher of PBS.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

DeeEss57 wrote:You know, every time I look at this subject header, I think... Why would someone want to make war on paperbacks? :)

Dawn
Avid reader of paperbacks. Not so avid watcher of PBS.
I always think somebody really hates PBS. That evil public TV, bunch of commies!
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

mefford76 wrote:anyone else watch this awesome documentary? i learned so much. i have seen so many of these things, but this was by far the most extensive. the horrors that happened back then. really helps me understand more of what my grandparents went through.
I haven't had the time to watch, but I really love that guy's work, so I'm sure it's my loss. I heard Burns do a promo for it live when he came to speak during the National History Day competition. What a national treasure he is.