Family Outraged After Deputy Shoots, Kills Dog

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Family Outraged After Deputy Shoots, Kills Dog

Post by PurpleMustReign »

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_271221137.html

(WCCO) A Garrison family is wondering why a Sheriff's Deputy had to shoot and kill their dog in front of a toddler. It happened during a bank robbery investigation at a rural home a few miles south of Garrison, near the shore of Lake Mille Lacs.
Sergeant Chad Paulson of The Crow Wing Sheriff's Department says the deputy had his weapon drawn because the bank robber may have been on the premises. He also said the deputy "shot the dog because it approached him growling, baring it's teeth, with the hair on it's neck standing up."
The Stiernagel's are not connected to the bank robbery.

I don't understand what the hell this idiot officer's problem was, but there is no reason under the sun that he had to shoot the dog in the head. I hope he gets demoted or suspended for a long time, because he had zero right to do that. And to top it off, the family has nothing to do with the robbery. Damn fool.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

What a buffoon. I can't really describe what I think of this here, as it would probably get me thrown off my own board.
Mike

Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

Reminds me of the Hennepin county K-9 officer that shot and killed a German Shephard (a few years ago in downtown Mpls) - he said he thought it was a wolf!! (makes me think twice before I take my dog into Hennepin county)
jackal
Strong Safety

mmmm

Post by jackal »

she noticed a deputy nearby approaching her two dogs. She said Duke, the Basset Hound, was barking, Eddie, the Terrier Lab, was lying in the grass growling.
you don't approach a scared animal.

no wonder the dog was reacting that way.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Last year a coworker of mine had a similar thing happen. She had two dogs, one was a black lab and the other was a pit bull. Both dogs were as nice as can be, wouldn't hurt a fly unless seriously provoked.

They got loose from the house and were wandering the block. A cop saw them and approached the lab and grabbed its collar (to see who it belonged to.) The pit bull was kind of a mother to the lab and saw this and barked, didn't approach the cop but just barked. What does the cop do? Shoots the pit bull.

He probably watched too many news stories about how pit bulls are evil, but its just how they are raised. This one wouldn't attack unless you started it. He also shot the dog near a city park/pool where there were obviously children around. The dogs never threatened said children, they just needed to be picked up and be brought home. Now one got shot and because she had "dangerous animals," she either had to have the lab put down or had to be brought to the country to live.

I understand that it would be scary to be barked at by a pit bull, but there were plenty of people around and it didn't threaten any of them at this point. Didn't approach the cop, just barked. Unless the dog runs after him, he has no right to do it.

I don't even think the cop got in trouble at all. I'm not the only one in the community that was upset either.
Vikingsfan2026
Starter

Post by Vikingsfan2026 »

wang_chi7 wrote:Last year a coworker of mine had a similar thing happen. She had two dogs, one was a black lab and the other was a pit bull. Both dogs were as nice as can be, wouldn't hurt a fly unless seriously provoked.

They got loose from the house and were wandering the block. A cop saw them and approached the lab and grabbed its collar (to see who it belonged to.) The pit bull was kind of a mother to the lab and saw this and barked, didn't approach the cop but just barked. What does the cop do? Shoots the pit bull.

He probably watched too many news stories about how pit bulls are evil, but its just how they are raised. This one wouldn't attack unless you started it. He also shot the dog near a city park/pool where there were obviously children around. The dogs never threatened said children, they just needed to be picked up and be brought home. Now one got shot and because she had "dangerous animals," she either had to have the lab put down or had to be brought to the country to live.

I understand that it would be scary to be barked at by a pit bull, but there were plenty of people around and it didn't threaten any of them at this point. Didn't approach the cop, just barked. Unless the dog runs after him, he has no right to do it.

I don't even think the cop got in trouble at all. I'm not the only one in the community that was upset either.
A lot of people see pit bulls as an aggresive animal that will always attack. Like you said, it depends on how the dog is raised. They aren't born to fight or anything like that. I bet if you raised a pomaranian to fight, chances are it might attack a person.

Go pack your fudge and eat your cheese packer fans.
:puke: Packers
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

A lot of people see pit bulls as an aggresive animal that will always attack. Like you said, it depends on how the dog is raised. They aren't born to fight or anything like that. I bet if you raised a pomaranian to fight, chances are it might attack a person.
They were crossbred, and created to be aggresive. You can raise them right, but they still have those instincts. Pitbulls, Rottweilers, they were bred solely for this purpose for generations. Pomeranians werent. And of course you could raise them mean. But if you don't, they don't have those instincts deep down like the other breeds.
Samkon35
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Samkon35 »

I know there are a few great cops, Guys that are true american heros.....

But most of them are retarded loosers who are on a power trip...

This guy should be fired and given jail time.
Vikingsfan2026
Starter

Post by Vikingsfan2026 »

FavresLegacy wrote:I know there are a few great cops, Guys that are true american heros.....

Oh wow, for once I agree with a packers fan...lol

Go pack your fudge and eat your cheese packer fans.
:puke: Packers
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Vikingsfan2026 wrote: Oh wow, for once I agree with a packers fan...lol

Yeah, I do too. I hate when tha thappens :lol:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
vikingman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by vikingman »

FavresLegacy wrote:I know there are a few great cops, Guys that are true american heros.....

FavresLegacy you must also be calling me a retarded loser as I was in that profession for 15 yrs. Until you walk in their shoes DON'T be to quick to judge anyone. With that said I will guarantee this, if something was happening to you or your family the first one you would call would be a cop. I also guarantee you this will be the last time I respond to anything you post in the future as I don't appreciate anyone calling that profession retarded losers. If you think you can do any better get into that profession and then you will see what I mean.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

vikingman wrote: FavresLegacy you must also be calling me a retarded loser as I was in that profession for 15 yrs. Until you walk in their shoes DON'T be to quick to judge anyone. With that said I will guarantee this, if something was happening to you or your family the first one you would call would be a cop. I also guarantee you this will be the last time I respond to anything you post in the future as I don't appreciate anyone calling that profession retarded losers. If you think you can do any better get into that profession and then you will see what I mean.

If you read the post correctly, he is saying that not all of them are bad, but I agree with him a lot of them are. Plus, did you read the first line? it says:
I know there are a few great cops, Guys that are true american heros
He is not saying all of them are bad, I don't know where you got that from.
You can not honestly tell me that the cop in the story did everything correctly. I have known a few cops in my life, and they knew the difference between a dog who wants to attack and a dog that is simply "guarding" their space.
There was no reason for him to kill the dog like that. He deserves to be punished.
vikingman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by vikingman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
If you read the post correctly, he is saying that not all of them are bad, but I agree with him a lot of them are. Plus, did you read the first line? it says: He is not saying all of them are bad, I don't know where you got that from.
You can not honestly tell me that the cop in the story did everything correctly. I have known a few cops in my life, and they knew the difference between a dog who wants to attack and a dog that is simply "guarding" their space.
There was no reason for him to kill the dog like that. He deserves to be punished.
No I read where he said a few are good but he also said most are retards. Until you know all the facts you can not judge that he deserves to be punished. All I am saying is until you are put into that situation you don't know what you would do.
Samkon35
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Samkon35 »

Wow man, If I dont get into law school, I will probally end up being a cop,

I think you misunderstood my post.