Vikings with horns??

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

spdolphs wrote:OK, I will throw in my two cents worth....

I think the whole thing is silly! When you pick a name for your team you think of something that portrays strength and honor! You don't pick a name that is a symbol of weakness.

The Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians...Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, all are named after a strong symbol! Something you can take pride in! Even the ones named after animals. Eagles, Panthers, Falcons.

If not, then we would have the Minnesota Peasants, Dallas Greenhorns, Washington Politicians (a weak tribe...lol), Atlanta Scaredy Pants, Philadelphia Chickens, Carolina House Cats, etc...

As long as the team mascot is held in high regard with honor, I don't think anyone should be offended.

Now, the one team that didn't pick a good name would have to be the Packers! How threatening is a Packer wearing a piece of cheese on his head? :lol:

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
I agree, I just think the name "Redskin" is the exception. It seems like a racist name, like calling a team the Honkies or Whities or Darkies. There's a fine line.
Skoobs78
Veteran

Post by Skoobs78 »

What I don't get is why the Washington Bullets had to change their name to the Wizards but the Redskins have been left untouched.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Skoobs78 wrote:What I don't get is why the Washington Bullets had to change their name to the Wizards but the Redskins have been left untouched.
Lots of crime in Washington, not many Native Americans maybe? Its more in the face of the citizens of the area. Also the NBA has a connotation with gangs and such. Kind of goofy if you ask me.

Washington was the murder capital of the U.S. around the time of the change though. That had to of weighed heavily in the decision. Now there is less crime than ten years ago, coincidence, I think not :wink:.
DougMN
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DougMN »

How many expansion or new teams are given names that are controversial?
The answer is none and the reason is because the civil rights movement did open enough eyes in this country that the people that make such decisions never would place themselves down the barrel of that gun.

The reason we still have teams with insensitive and improper names is because tradition, stubbornness, and arrogance prevent them from being changed. I think the argument that nicknames are given to honor Native Americans is a cop out and weak argument that is only used as a last resort.
Remember- most of these nicknames were given at a time when Native Americans were not considered to be human and had not rights (in 1932 for the Redskins). Because they were considered to be less than human, but aggressive (notice some have 'Fighting' in their names or that the Tomahawk chop is common at many of these teams sporting events) they were thought to be a good mascot.

I know that some schools try to retain the dignity of their namesakes by trying to keep images somewhat authentic, but let's face it- they are still cartoons.

Native Americans have a repressed, painful history in the United States over the last few hundred years. The Vikings don't (except for the past few anyway). Native Americans are alive in the here and now. Vikings were an 'ancient' group of people- not even a race. There is a Grand Canyon of difference when comparing the two.
No more from me...
SKOL VIKINGS!!
ImageImageImage
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Whole arguement is silly in that all the arguing in the world here isnt going to change a thing.
Vikingsfan2026
Starter

Post by Vikingsfan2026 »

Yes, some people find the redskins name to be offensive. Though there's a difference when it comes to being offensive, and going with myth. I wouldn't think the Vikings logo and helmet having horns on it offends anyone.

Go pack your fudge and eat your cheese packer fans.
:puke: Packers
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Skoobs78 wrote:What I don't get is why the Washington Bullets had to change their name to the Wizards but the Redskins have been left untouched.
Sorry to be chiming in late on this one. Nobody forced (a la the NCAA) the owner of the Bullets to change the name, he did it by choice due to his own feelings about the negative violent connotation of the name.