Terry Ryan to step down as GM

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Skoobs78
Veteran

Terry Ryan to step down as GM

Post by Skoobs78 »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

This is all very sudden, he seemed very emotional on the Chad Hartman show today. Billy Smith will be stepping in as the new GM and he has been with the Twins since 1985. For such little payroll all these years Terry Ryan has been hands down the best GM in Major League Baseball.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

i'm sorry to see him leaving as well. he takes a lot of crap for not making big trades or landing a big free agent, but it's not his fault he worked for the cheapest owner in sports. he did some great things for the twins.

maybe he can take kevin mchale's job and fix the t'wolves!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I wish he would have done more trading, because he has so much pitching talent to work with...
with that said, I am sad to see this happen. He wa easily the best GM in sports because for years now he has fielded a winning team, despite working for Montgomery Burns.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Some in the local news are painting this as part of a Twins front office "restructure"... making it sould like he was asked to step down.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Re: Terry Ryan to step down as GM

Post by DanAS1 »

Skoobs78 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

This is all very sudden, he seemed very emotional on the Chad Hartman show today. Billy Smith will be stepping in as the new GM and he has been with the Twins since 1985. For such little payroll all these years Terry Ryan has been hands down the best GM in Major League Baseball.
Of course it's unfortunate. But I heard he's staying on with the Twins in some capacity. Why, then, is he stepping down? I can't imagine he was fired.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Got sick of telling the media "payroll isn't a factor", and doesn't want to be GM when we lose Hunter, Santana, and then Morneau.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Demi wrote:Got sick of telling the media "payroll isn't a factor", and doesn't want to be GM when we lose Hunter, Santana, and then Morneau.
As we say in the law, "asked and answered." When you put it that way, I'm ashamed I asked such a stupid question. Perhaps I keep holding on to the hope that this franchise won't go down the tubes ... just before the publicly funded stadium opens.