Grand Forks, ND

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

flviking
Waterboy

Grand Forks, ND

Post by flviking »

My wife is thinking about transfering from Eglin AFB, FL. to Grand Forks, ND. I know nothing about the area and hopefully can get some insight from ya'll.

Does anybody know if there are any boat dealerships in the area, I've been in the boating industry for a little over six years, and currently a sales leader for a smaller independent dealership here in town. Would like to stay in the same industry, but could try something new if I had too.

Any insight on elementry schools, the town, or surrounding areas, outdoor activities, would be helpful.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

For the love of God, stay in Florida!!!

If you go to the top of the tallest building in Grand Forks you can actually see the gates of Hell!!!

Ok, Grand Forks isnt quite that bad....

There should be a few boat dealers in that area as many people in that area have lake cabins in MN that they go to on the weekends.

They also have great Hockey in Grand Forks if you like Hockey.
flviking
Waterboy

Post by flviking »

I'm not so sure I really want to leave FL. But the wife wants to live closer to the family, even though I think ND is still to close to WI.

If hockey is the only thing to look forward to, the gates of hell are looking pretty damn good.
flviking
Waterboy

Post by flviking »

I be thinking this is going to get much worse before it gets better. The wife just called and said she now has an oppurtunity to go to Minot. Not so sure I call that an oppurtunity. Anybody know anything about Minot. All I know is it is close to Devils Lake, which makes it a little more bareable.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

I flew into Elgin a few times... it wasn't hard to find, there is nothing else there. :) That was 30 years ago though.
novellahub
Transition Player

Post by novellahub »

flviking wrote:I be thinking this is going to get much worse before it gets better. The wife just called and said she now has an oppurtunity to go to Minot. Not so sure I call that an oppurtunity. Anybody know anything about Minot. All I know is it is close to Devils Lake, which makes it a little more bareable.
I went to Minot once and it seemed decent enough. It is the 4th largest city in ND at 37,000 People. At least they have water/sewer service :)

http://web.ci.minot.nd.us/
Joe
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

novellahub wrote: I went to Minot once and it seemed decent enough. It is the 4th largest city in ND at 37,000 People. At least they have water/sewer service :)

http://web.ci.minot.nd.us/
LOL!

Minot probably isn't that bad, its just way different than what you are used to. And it gets REALLY cold in the winter, like -60 (no joke)/
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
flviking
Waterboy

Post by flviking »

John wrote:I flew into Elgin a few times... it wasn't hard to find, there is nothing else there. :) That was 30 years ago though.
It's quite a bit different now, I think they say Eglin is the second or third largest AF base. During the tourist season it takes an hour to get to Destin, which is 15 minutes away.
Enrage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Enrage »

Lived in GF for the past two years and I really have to say that it's a place you have to make your own fun. College hockey is really the only big thing to do and if you're not into that it can get awfully boring awfully quick. There's a few places to go shooting if you're into that. (I was...:))

As mentioned before it gets really cold. -30 is quite common in winter. Also, the GF area is about the flattest area you will see in your life. I'm pretty sure you can go 50 miles in every direction and not see an elevation change greater than 50 meters. The Red River can flood severely in the spring, and two years ago was very bad.

There's not much of the way in surronding communities. To reach the next medium sized city you have to go 20 miles east to Crookston, 60 miles south to Fargo, or 70 miles west to Devil's Lake.

I don't know anything about the schools other than UND where I was a student.

As for the base itself, it was OK. Pretty much the same Generica one will find on any other military post.
mr6kings
Backup

Re: Grand Forks, ND

Post by mr6kings »

flviking wrote:My wife is thinking about transfering from Eglin AFB, FL. to Grand Forks, ND. I know nothing about the area and hopefully can get some insight from ya'll.

Does anybody know if there are any boat dealerships in the area, I've been in the boating industry for a little over six years, and currently a sales leader for a smaller independent dealership here in town. Would like to stay in the same industry, but could try something new if I had too.

Any insight on elementry schools, the town, or surrounding areas, outdoor activities, would be helpful.

I've been retired from the Air Force for 11 years now so things probably way different. If Ellsworth is a posibility I'd take it over Grand Forks or Minot. I spent 2 yrs at Ellsworth and loved it. Rapid Citys busy in the summer with tourists but pretty slow in the winter. Flight line did suck in the winter though can't deny that.

Mark Solie
Mark Solie
tytantim
Backup

Post by tytantim »

My parents grew up in ND and all my relatives are there and have been there many times in my life. I would not wish living in ND on my worst enemy. I'm sorry but I think you will be very disappointed if you move there.
Official driver of the VTU.
flviking
Waterboy

Post by flviking »

Thanks guys, my daughter got accepted to North West Florida Ballett school, one of the hardest invitation only schools to get into, so looks like we are staying for a few more years. :lol: She said the only way that she would leave is if we could get to Elsworth, Since her sister and sisters kids are there.

Thank god that my daughter loves dancing, otherwise I would be freezing my azz off in ND right now.
tytantim
Backup

Post by tytantim »

34 degrees with 20-30mph winds there right now!
Congrats!
Official driver of the VTU.
flviking
Waterboy

Post by flviking »

I see your from Hudson, I use to hang out at Dick's bar quite a bit when I lived in New Richmond. I heard the place has a younger crowd now a days.