WalMart

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

vikinginindiana
Veteran

WalMart

Post by vikinginindiana »

I went to WalMart to get some shaving cream, tooth paste, shampoo, and a case of beer.

WalMart does not sell beer up here. What a bunch of crap. Do the WalMarts sell beer in Kansas Mike?

Troy
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

It's a city to city/county to county thing within states. I guess a Walmart in Stillwater, MN has everything from the normal department store to food, meats & deli, to liquor... I've never been there.
vikinginindiana
Veteran

Post by vikinginindiana »

Thanks John.

Troy
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Re: WalMart

Post by Kansas Viking »

vikinginindiana wrote:I went to WalMart to get some shaving cream, tooth paste, shampoo, and a case of beer.

WalMart does not sell beer up here. What a bunch of crap. Do the WalMarts sell beer in Kansas Mike?

Troy
The big WalMart Superstore here has a grocery store in it and they do sell some domestic swill. I pretty much stay away from the place 95% of the time though.
Mike

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah the supercenters have it, but most, if not all, of the normal walmarts dont.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

The question is, would you actually want to drink the beer that Walmart sells?

:puke:
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Minniman wrote:The question is, would you actually want to drink the beer that Walmart sells?

Not really. That's why I called it "domestic swill." :)
Mike

HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Minniman wrote:The question is, would you actually want to drink the beer that Walmart sells?

Exactly, heh, is it "Sam's Choice Ale"?

I would be wary of buying beer at a Wal-Mart, for the same reasons as avoiding the beer they sell at gas stations. Did you know that stuff has less alcohol content than the SAME EXACT STUFF you'd buy at a regular liquor store? Maybe that's just a North Dakota thing....

Is this true in other places too?
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

That's a ND thing. I've heard of states having that 3.2% law in grocery stores in the midwest. Illinois was more anal than living in Texas, which is very lax about alcohol. The only funny law we have here is alcohol can't be sold until noon on Sunday to discourage skipping church.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

NoDakViking wrote: Exactly, heh, is it "Sam's Choice Ale"?

I would be wary of buying beer at a Wal-Mart, for the same reasons as avoiding the beer they sell at gas stations. Did you know that stuff has less alcohol content than the SAME EXACT STUFF you'd buy at a regular liquor store? Maybe that's just a North Dakota thing....

Is this true in other places too?
I've heard it's the same in a lot of states. Just had a portion of the common man progrum discussing this very thing. A number of callers called in to say that the brewers save money by paying hundreds of thousands in fines to the state to cover the incorrect labeling, because it's cheaper then not paying the fine and doing it legally.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Unless the law has changed, MN is a 3.2 max on beer sold in grocery stores. However, I've seen many DUIs from 3.2 beer. :) That's what they serve at the fair as far as I know.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Colinito wrote:That's a ND thing. I've heard of states having that 3.2% law in grocery stores in the midwest. Illinois was more anal than living in Texas, which is very lax about alcohol. The only funny law we have here is alcohol can't be sold until noon on Sunday to discourage skipping church.

I thought it was noon everyday? Or maybe all day Sunday? My wife used to work at Cub and people would get so mad because they couldn't buy alcohol at certain times. Thankfully, I can always buy Dr. Pepper!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
novellahub
Transition Player

Post by novellahub »

John wrote:Unless the law has changed, MN is a 3.2 max on beer sold in grocery stores. However, I've seen many DUIs from 3.2 beer. :) That's what they serve at the fair as far as I know.
I believe it is still true. Local grocery stores in Minnesota seem to get around the 3.2 law by putting a separate liquor store in the same building. Both Byerlys and Rainbow do this.
Joe
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Walmart sells PBR which is a tolerable cheap beer. Its no Schlitz, but it isn't bad. For those of use who can't afford to drink great beer, its not a bad way to go.