Classic Santana

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Classic Santana

Post by PurpleMustReign »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270819109

What a performance. Gardy should have let him pitch the 9th, its not like they are going to the playoff s or something.
I can't believe Ryan hasn't signed him yet. How much do they want him to be worth before they sign him? $200 million? He's getting closer...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

:lmao: Bwhahahaha! Sorry. That's what I get for being old. I'm not a baseball fan, so when I read the headline, all I could think of was Carlos. Only classic Santana I could think of. :)
Mike

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Classic Santana

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I can't believe Ryan hasn't signed him yet. How much do they want him to be worth before they sign him? $200 million? He's getting closer...
He's gone as soon as he can leave. He finally got fed up and let the media know he's sick of this pathetic team after the Castillo trade! We can't keep a guy who is going to be at LEAST a third of our payroll, and only play every 5 days anyway.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Kansas Viking wrote::lmao: Bwhahahaha! Sorry. That's what I get for being old. I'm not a baseball fan, so when I read the headline, all I could think of was Carlos. Only classic Santana I could think of. :)
I saw Santana at the Filmore West.... :shock: talk about old!

But I even knew this was a Twins thread, get with it, Mike. :wink:
Dark Viking
Backup

Post by Dark Viking »

John wrote:I saw Santana at the Filmore West.... talk about old!
I saw Carlos Santana touring with, and playing backup to, Eric Clapton. One of the best concerts to this day I ever saw.

It was in Chicago in .... 1975... and I was in the 11th row, center.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Kansas Viking wrote::lmao: Bwhahahaha! Sorry. That's what I get for being old. I'm not a baseball fan, so when I read the headline, all I could think of was Carlos. Only classic Santana I could think of. :)

LOL, sorry Mike, didn't mean to fool you... You should look at who wrote the post before you jump to conclusions like that! :lol:

That's a good one.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

The Twins would need a Black Magic Woman to keep Santana in a Twins uniform ... or better revenue sharing.

Minniman
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

No kidding, my first thought...

DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Hey, Carlos was great. But Santana IS great.

Baseball rocks -- despite the G-d forsaken salary cap. The Twins should re-sign the guy, but first, they should show him that they care about winning. I can't believe that the year after the state commits to a new stadium, the Twins are still having fire sales of solid starters. Santana deserves to play for a better franchise than that.
jackal
Strong Safety

laugh

Post by jackal »

Kansas Viking wrote,
Bwhahahaha! Sorry. That's what I get for being old. I'm not a baseball fan, so when I read the headline, all I could think of was Carlos. Only classic Santana I could think of. Smile
When I was younger(don't laugh)I went work for a national insurance
company. The guy I roomed with was from the bay area. Anyways
He go on and on about knowing Carlos Santana and playing the drums
for him and so on. I figure he is just full of it. The guy goes home the next
weekend and brings back a photo album full of pictures of sure enough
(Carlos Santana)and him playing in a band together. Pictures of him
and Santana 15 years worth of family gatherings etc etc. Carlos Santana
is the Godparent to his children. Good Call on him not knowing
Santana huh ? :lol: He also had a a lot of pictures of guys from
journey and jefferson airplane/starship etc.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:The Twins would need a Black Magic Woman to keep Santana in a Twins uniform ... or better revenue sharing.

Minniman
Or by keeping him happy. He would stay if he felt like the team was in it to win. Trading guys like Castillo sends a bad message to the players. Its not like Pohlad isn't the richest owner in the league anyways. And its not like Minnesota is in the bottom of the league for market size (actually its the 12th largest baseball market) or revenue. Pohlad is just very cheap. I blame him much more than I blame guys like Steinbrenner or Henry for raising salaries for baseball's situation. If you own a team, you should be spending the money to make them better and not just use it as a way to make more coin; besides with a better team you bring in more revenue anyways.
DeeEss57
All Pro Elite Player

Post by DeeEss57 »

wang_chi7 wrote:Its not like Pohlad isn't the richest owner in the league anyways.
Carl has no excuse to be cheap. He begged and begged and threatened contraction, saying if we didn't give him a stadium, he'd put an end to our misery. We finally give him a stadium, and he pulls crap like trading Castillo. And I don't really see him trying to keep Santana, unfortunately.

And it seems we in Minnesota are cursed with cheap owners, who only want the prestige of owning a pro sports franchise. First the Twins had Calvin and now we have Carl. Two peas in a pod.

Dawn
The jury is still out on Zygi
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

DeeEss57 wrote: Carl has no excuse to be cheap. He begged and begged and threatened contraction, saying if we didn't give him a stadium, he'd put an end to our misery. We finally give him a stadium, and he pulls crap like trading Castillo. And I don't really see him trying to keep Santana, unfortunately.

And it seems we in Minnesota are cursed with cheap owners, who only want the prestige of owning a pro sports franchise. First the Twins had Calvin and now we have Carl. Two peas in a pod.

Dawn

The jury is still out on Zygi
... Carl isn't the "richest", just the second "richest", Stienbrenner is the only owner who is worth more... and he has to give Carl money for the Twins. :rolling:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

John wrote: ... Carl isn't the "richest", just the second "richest", Stienbrenner is the only owner who is worth more... and he has to give Carl money for the Twins. :rolling:
I seem to remember reading that Pohlad has more money than Steinbrenner? MAybe I'm wrong, but like wang_chi7 said... if you own a team you better be willing to spend the money.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

From what I could find Steinbrenner is worth about 300 million, Pohlad is worth 2.6 billion.

But the revenue of the Twins is next to nothing. Operating income is terrible. We're talking bottom 5 in both categories. Of course, the yankees are losing money when it comes to the "baseball money" that the Twins use to fund the entire thing. But the Yankees are the only team that appears to be using money out of the owners pocket.

And the Twins payroll is still higher then 10 other teams. Should they spend more? Maybe. But the team has the third lowest overall revenue in the entire league...