Flooding

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

BGM
Hall of Famer

Flooding

Post by BGM »

Hey guys,

Wow, the flooding here in SE MN is really intense. The damage is jaw dropping. There is a brook in the wildlife refuge behind my mom and dad's house that used to be 20 ft wide. Now the banks have eroded and the "brook" is 150 ft wide! It is really "awe"-full or awe inspiring or whatever awe adjective you can apply.

I uploaded some photos to Flickr. One of them show the brook and the bridge over it with my niece standing on it, kind of as a before picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/choirbri/s ... 574810395/

Everyone in my family is ok, the house fortunately escaped any flooding, but 6 folks lost their lives in SE MN and countless others lost all they had. I know that some charities are helping out, and if anyone can contribute, that would be great.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

Wow, those are frightening pictures Brian.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing as the reports started coming in. Our daughter is in Winona (I believe) right now, she is a Red Cross volunteer... I'm waiting for her to call.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

John wrote:Wow, those are frightening pictures Brian.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing as the reports started coming in. Our daughter is in Winona (I believe) right now, she is a Red Cross volunteer... I'm waiting for her to call.
I can't possibly respect those volunteers and the National Guard folks more. They really are helping here! Crews have already started repairing the washed away road in Minnesota City that was shown repeatedly on the news.

Thankfully, the rain gave a one day respite, which is just what was needed to help the waters recede a bit.

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Glad to hear everyone in your family is ok.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Wow! That is sary! I'm glad you are all ok. I pray you guys stay safe!

Josh
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018