Terry Ryan Sucks

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Terry Ryan Sucks

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I am so sick of him. All the players we were after have now been traded. Or signed to extensions. Why do we need 5,000 pitchers in our minor league system? Get a decent bat so we can win. We aren't any worse than we were last season at this point... Punto is a joke at 3rd, get a freakin 3rd baseman.
His answer is always call someone up who has no major league experience. That doesn't work. We should have traded for Dmitri Young or someone who could hit the damn ball.

Man this is irritating.,
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hey now, there are rumors we're trading Castillo for a pair of prospects.

Why look at today, when they can look at next year...every year?
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Demi wrote:Hey now, there are rumors we're trading Castillo for a pair of prospects.

Why look at today, when they can look at next year...every year?
Those rumors are true. Castillo's gone. And I'm REALLY, REALLY pissed.

But should we be pissed at Ryan? He doesn't own this franchise. Is he really the guy making the decisions?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

DanAS1 wrote: Those rumors are true. Castillo's gone. And I'm REALLY, REALLY pissed.

But should we be pissed at Ryan? He doesn't own this franchise. Is he really the guy making the decisions?

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!?!?! Come on! Well, may as well send Hunter off. Why not, we have Lew Ford!!

This is so irritating.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

This is a money trade. The prospects aren't much.
Fox Sports wrote:The Twins recalled infielder Alexi Casilla to replace Castillo, though he wasn't able to make it in time to join Monday night's lineup against the Kansas City Royals. Casilla hit .233 with two RBIs and four stolen bases in 14 games earlier this year, showing plenty of promise but also had several rough moments in the field.

With Casilla, current third baseman Nick Punto and top prospect Matt Tolbert, Ryan said he's satisfied with what the team has at second and third for the future. He also said he was comfortable enough with Casilla that the Twins can still stay in the playoff chase despite losing their leadoff hitter.

"No, we're not giving up at all," Ryan said. "We're six-and-a-half games back, and we're better than we were last week. If we didn't think we could absorb this, we certainly wouldn't have done it."
Satisfied with Casilla and Punto?

:|
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

we're better than we were last week
So, you're trying to tell me Casilla is better then Castillo? Give me a break and quit talking out your ####. You've given up on the season, and for good reason. Go research some terrible free agent you can snag for next to nothing and release half way through the year you blow hard.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote: So, you're trying to tell me Casilla is better then Castillo? Give me a break and quit talking out your ####. You've given up on the season, and for good reason. Go research some terrible free agent you can snag for next to nothing and release half way through the year you blow hard.

SING it sister!!

Terry Ryan has done some incredible moves in his tenure. But he's done some bonheaded ones too, like not doing any the last three years. What's wrong with trading for a rent-a-bat? Or a good 3B.
Minniman
Hall of Famer

Post by Minniman »

Terry Ryan has done some incredible moves in his tenure. But he's done some bonheaded ones too, like not doing any the last three years. What's wrong with trading for a rent-a-bat? Or a good 3B.
You're singing to the choir, but Terry Ryan's job is to make money for Carl Pohlad and Sons. The way that MLB has its revenue structure ties his hands. I dislike him for it, which is irrational in a way, but I know why he must do it.

Thank God for Wellington Mara, or we'd be looking at the same thing in the NFL.
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

Minniman wrote: You're singing to the choir, but Terry Ryan's job is to make money for Carl Pohlad and Sons. The way that MLB has its revenue structure ties his hands. I dislike him for it, which is irrational in a way, but I know why he must do it.

Thank God for Wellington Mara, or we'd be looking at the same thing in the NFL.
"He's not dumping. He's rearranging, maybe to try to find someone that might help us," Gardenhire said.

There's a quote from the ship captain, sucking up to his boss (and lying in the process).

Minniman is correct that football fans owe a debt of gratitude to the New York Giants for taking care of the best interests of the game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

DanAS1 wrote: "He's not dumping. He's rearranging, maybe to try to find someone that might help us," Gardenhire said.

There's a quote from the ship captain, sucking up to his boss (and lying in the process).

Minniman is correct that football fans owe a debt of gratitude to the New York Giants for taking care of the best interests of the game.

Gardenhire actually said that? I just lost a lot of respect for him. You're right, Dan he is kissing up horribly.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Wtf? Costillo is gone? wow.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Why not trade Castillo for a 3rd baseman with some pop in his bat and then move Punto to 2nd?

I don't think he's a huge loss as he doesn't get any extra bases. His OBP is almost the same as his slugging, and its not because he is an OBP machine either.

Sure he has speed and is a pretty good fielder, but there are a whole bunch of guys in that mold on the team already.

A part of me thinks they need to trade Nathan for a bat; closers are way overrated in the baseball market so they might as well take advantage of that. They could move Neshek to CL as he is lights out anyways. That would open up funds for Torii Hunter so he doesn't leave too. I love watching Nathan though, so it would be tough to see him go.
wang_chi7
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by wang_chi7 »

Minniman wrote:Thank God for Wellington Mara, or we'd be looking at the same thing in the NFL.
The revenue sharing aspect of the NFL is a wonderful thing, but I really hope MLB avoids the hard cap like the plague. I can't stand how it breaks up good teams in the NFL which results in very mediocre teams throughout the league; there is no such thing as an upset or cinderella in the NFL anymore and that makes it very dull IMO.

I've argued with you over the years on how much of a problem revenue differences in baseball are (I don't think its as big of a problem as most.) But I do think its an inequality that hurts the game at least some. I don't want the NFL system, but baseball needs better revenue sharing (assuming there is a rule stipulating the owners must spend the shared part instead of pocketing it as Pohlad would do.)
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

wang_chi7 wrote: The revenue sharing aspect of the NFL is a wonderful thing, but I really hope MLB avoids the hard cap like the plague. I can't stand how it breaks up good teams in the NFL which results in very mediocre teams throughout the league; there is no such thing as an upset or cinderella in the NFL anymore and that makes it very dull IMO.
No system is perfect. But I prefer a cap as hard as a diamond to baseball's current approach.
DanAS1
Hall of Famer

Post by DanAS1 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Wtf? Costillo is gone? wow.
How is the reaction in the Land of Lakes? Are the players popping off in the media? Is Hunter saying stuff like "I guess they didn't really want me anyway?" Are fans calling radio shows and asking if contraction is next?

Seriously, I know a couple of those questions are rhetorical, but I should hope that the place is outraged. Anyone who knows anything about baseball would know that Castillo isn't the kind of player you just give up for nothing -- especially given the team's (a) third baseman, (b) left fielder, and (c) designated hitter. This isn't exactly the 75 Reds lineup we're talking about; it could hardly afford to lose a .300 hitter with a heck of a glove and all sorts of speed.