Sweet my First Authentic Jersey!!!

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

Good Choice?

Yes
43%
No
43%
Give me that Jersey!!!
14%

Total votes: 7

illinivikes
Veteran

Post by illinivikes »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=018

This guy says he can order any jersey and have it made... you could talk to him. Tomorrow I'm gonna buy the Cunningham jersey (I get paid tomorrow, lol).

This guy can't or won't get me a Browner #47 jersey...anyone else have any ideas?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

illinivikes wrote:
This guy can't or won't get me a Browner #47 jersey...anyone else have any ideas?
Did you talk (or email) to him? I had trouble getting ahold of him the last couple days.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
illinivikes
Veteran

Post by illinivikes »

Yeah, I emailed him...he said he couldn't get me the Browner jersey.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

don't think I will be using Ebay for along time. Anyone know how much a Authentic Kevin Williams Jersey is going for on Ebay? I really don't care but it would be kinda interesting.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

I've seen cheap authentic jerseys on eBay, like $60 with shipping. Do you guys think they're legit?
I'd like to chime in on this one.

Authentic Reebok. These are the expensive jerseys sold by AUTHORIZED dealers for $200+. A lot of jerseys listed for sale on ebay will claim to be Reebok "Authentic" game jerseys (or a similar wording) but I would guess that less than 0.0001% actually are. You simply cannot buy a new $250 jersey for $50. It's just not possible. I have no doubt that the markup on the genuine Reebok Authentics is ridiculously high, but there are no ebay power-sellers who are getting these jerseys at cost. None. It amazes me how many people will buy a $35 jersey on ebay that is advertised as an Authentic, and then convince themselves that they are getting the real thing (a quick look at some of the comments in the buyer feedback section verifies this).

I think the vast majority of NFL jerseys sold on ebay are knock-offs. Some are probably made by the same manufacturers who have been licensed by Reebok which complicates the problem. I use the phrase "knock-off" but counterfeit or fake would also be accurate. Most of these jerseys have been made in China and then find their way to ebay power-sellers here in the USA. Of course if you go to ebay right now you'll find many that ship directly from China with a starting bid of $5 + $25 shipping (and if that isn't a clue ... you qualify as gullible).

The quality of these knock-offs can vary widely and as hard as you try to inspect the pictures they provide on ebay and read the buyer feedback, there is really little you can do to assure yourself of what you are getting ahead of time. But here is the rub. Some of these knock-off jerseys being sold on ebay as "authentics" are of surprisingly good quality. Some will even be comparable to the real Reebok authentics. And some will be much better quality than the screen print replicas you find in any of the national sporting goods chains selling for $75 (which by definition makes them a good bargain). It's hit or miss.

A caveat to anyone buying a jersey on ebay who relies on buyer feedback. People want to believe they are getting the deal of the century when they buy a $250 jersey for $40. It's against human nature to admit to being a sucker. And those really high return shipping costs are a built in incentive not to return something unless it has an obvious problem. Take those buyer feedback comments with a grain of salt, as well as those stats for power-sellers. They are helpful to identify sellers who are really sleazy (i.e. take the money and don't ship the product, or ship items of obviously poor quality) but beyond that I'm not sure they mean much.

I've bought a couple of Viking jerseys on ebay. One was satisfactory; the other was not. But I knew going into the transaction that both were knock-offs despite the advertising to the contrary.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mr. X wrote: I'd like to chime in on this one.

Authentic Reebok. These are the expensive jerseys sold by AUTHORIZED dealers for $200+. A lot of jerseys listed for sale on ebay will claim to be Reebok "Authentic" game jerseys (or a similar wording) but I would guess that less than 0.0001% actually are. You simply cannot buy a new $250 jersey for $50. It's just not possible. I have no doubt that the markup on the genuine Reebok Authentics is ridiculously high, but there are no ebay power-sellers who are getting these jerseys at cost. None. It amazes me how many people will buy a $35 jersey on ebay that is advertised as an Authentic, and then convince themselves that they are getting the real thing (a quick look at some of the comments in the buyer feedback section verifies this).

I think the vast majority of NFL jerseys sold on ebay are knock-offs. Some are probably made by the same manufacturers who have been licensed by Reebok which complicates the problem. I use the phrase "knock-off" but counterfeit or fake would also be accurate. Most of these jerseys have been made in China and then find their way to ebay power-sellers here in the USA. Of course if you go to ebay right now you'll find many that ship directly from China with a starting bid of $5 + $25 shipping (and if that isn't a clue ... you qualify as gullible).

The quality of these knock-offs can vary widely and as hard as you try to inspect the pictures they provide on ebay and read the buyer feedback, there is really little you can do to assure yourself of what you are getting ahead of time. But here is the rub. Some of these knock-off jerseys being sold on ebay as "authentics" are of surprisingly good quality. Some will even be comparable to the real Reebok authentics. And some will be much better quality than the screen print replicas you find in any of the national sporting goods chains selling for $75 (which by definition makes them a good bargain). It's hit or miss.

A caveat to anyone buying a jersey on ebay who relies on buyer feedback. People want to believe they are getting the deal of the century when they buy a $250 jersey for $40. It's against human nature to admit to being a sucker. And those really high return shipping costs are a built in incentive not to return something unless it has an obvious problem. Take those buyer feedback comments with a grain of salt, as well as those stats for power-sellers. They are helpful to identify sellers who are really sleazy (i.e. take the money and don't ship the product, or ship items of obviously poor quality) but beyond that I'm not sure they mean much.

I've bought a couple of Viking jerseys on ebay. One was satisfactory; the other was not. But I knew going into the transaction that both were knock-offs despite the advertising to the contrary.

Well said. I checked feedback and emailed a few of the people who bought them before, and they were all happy. I got a throwback Randall Cunningham Eagles jersey for $65. Everything sewn on. I don't care if it is not Reebok or whatever, I just want it to look good and last for awhile. Its a nice way to get a decent jersey for cheap, if you get the right seller.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am treating that jersey with so much respect. I am almost married to the thing.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I can't imagine spending $300 dollars on a shirt. It's a rip off, period.
Mr. X
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Mr. X »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Well said. I checked feedback and emailed a few of the people who bought them before, and they were all happy. I got a throwback Randall Cunningham Eagles jersey for $65. Everything sewn on. I don't care if it is not Reebok or whatever, I just want it to look good and last for awhile. Its a nice way to get a decent jersey for cheap, if you get the right seller.
Emailing prior purchasers of the same item directly is a pretty good step to take. I've never done that.

The real test on the quality of a jersey purchased on ebay won't be know for a year or two (until it's been worn and put through the wash several times). I've heard of jerseys purchased on ebay that literally fall apart after a year or so of washing and drying. Best bet is to line dry them even though that can be an inconvenient pain.

As for not caring if its authentic Reebok or not ... I'm with you on that. People are paying huge markups on those Reebok Authentics just for the security of knowing that they have a jersey that is as close to a game jersey as you can get. If I paid $250 for a jersey I wouldn't be able to wear it anywhere without worrying about accidentally slopping some mustard on it or what have you. Whereas a knock-off that looks good and cost a third or less can be treated like a piece of clothing instead of an high-priced investment.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Cliff wrote:I can't imagine spending $300 dollars on a shirt. It's a rip off, period.
I agree. I would never pay $300 for a jersey. I paid $275 for mine. :)
Mike

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Just got my $30 Adrian Peterson jersey in the mail off Ebay. Looks great and definitely worth the price.

Let me just say right off for those interested that it is not authentic. The word specifications is misspelled for one but the overall quality while not perfect is very good. From two feet away it looks exactly like an authentic jersey.

For something that costs ~$250 less than the real one in the stores, it's a great deal. Just thought I'd pass along my observations.