View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 am



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Transformers 
Author Message
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17814
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Transformers
Anyone seen this yet? Iw was actually pretty good. Way better than I thought it was going to be.

Josh

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11415
Location: California
Post yes
Honestly I wasn't expecting to enjoy it at all.


I thought the special effects were awesome and the
way the integrated the story to the movie was pretty good.

The girl in the movie was stunning which is always a good thing
IMO

I am glad I went with my sons to see it

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:22 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:36 am
Posts: 624
Location: Minnesota
Post 
Yeah, I thought it was just going to be an action movie, but they put a lot of humor into it. Way better then expected.

_________________
Image


Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:24 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17814
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: yes
jackal wrote:
The girl in the movie was stunning which is always a good thing
IMO



Yes, she was...yes she was... :thumbsup: :dude:

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10727
Location: Hawaii
Post 
I thought it was better than I was expecting too.

Although the GM sponsorship made it feel a little too much like a big commercial. The new camaro is really nice though and what a way to hype a new car. Funny how the Saleen Mustang was the bad guy too.


Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:12 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
I have not seen it. It was Harry Potter release week, and my family is really into that.

Transformers is a film that the critics really have not liked, but the people who I know that have seen it have liked it more than they thought they would.

Oh yes, Megan Fox is very nice to look at.

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:04 pm
Posts: 3597
Post 
the ads look so bad that I don't want to go and the reviews have been bad to. i am going to wait for video.


Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:07 am
Profile
Post 
Minniman wrote:
I have not seen it. It was Harry Potter release week, and my family is really into that.

Transformers is a film that the critics really have not liked, but the people who I know that have seen it have liked it more than they thought they would.

Oh yes, Megan Fox is very nice to look at.


I saw Harry Potter in the theater as well. I was pretty happy with it overall, of course most critics I've seen have trashed it as well. Also if you've read the book, you'll be a little disappointed, but in all fairness there is quite a bit to fit in to a few hours.

I've heard a lot of "better than I expected" about Transformers too. I'm trying to figure out if it's because it was a decent movie or if it was because expectations were just THAT low.


Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
Quote:
I saw Harry Potter in the theater as well. I was pretty happy with it overall, of course most critics I've seen have trashed it as well. Also if you've read the book, you'll be a little disappointed, but in all fairness there is quite a bit to fit in to a few hours.


I usually see the movie and then read the book, but I needed to be up to speed for the Deathly Hallows, or I could be hit with too many spoilers. That makes the Order of the Phoenix the first film I have seen after reading the book.

It is much less fun that way, as so many good things have been left out, and the director changed things that take the same time to do on screen as the original way in the book.

Quote:
I've heard a lot of "better than I expected" about Transformers too. I'm trying to figure out if it's because it was a decent movie or if it was because expectations were just THAT low.


Consider the source. How many people still went to the film after seeing the trailers?

The movie looks like a typical shallow CGI action film from Michael Bay to me. Then again, I really liked The Island.

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 am
Posts: 3779
Location: Mitchell, SD
Post 
Minniman wrote:
[
Quote:
I've heard a lot of "better than I expected" about Transformers too. I'm trying to figure out if it's because it was a decent movie or if it was because expectations were just THAT low.


Consider the source. How many people still went to the film after seeing the trailers?

The movie looks like a typical shallow CGI action film from Michael Bay to me. Then again, I really liked The Island.


I was expecting just that, but there was actually a story to it. Most of it was very good and was surprisingly funny. Bay even poked fun at himself with a joke about Armageddon (the joke was very inside, most people wouldn't catch it.)

The final battle kind of dragged on for too long IMO, but it was only about 10 minutes of the movie that I was board with.

I thought it would be a waste of time and only went because my brother wanted to, but it turned out to be one of the best superhero/comic genre movies in recent years (which isn't saying a lot I guess because most of them suck besides the Xmen movies.)

So far its the second best movie I've seen in the last few months (a far second behind Die Hard 4 which I absolutely loved), but I don't see a crap load of movies in the theater either.


Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:17 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post 
"I miss you more,
than Michael Bay missed the mark when he made Pearl Harbor"

--Team America: World Police


Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 am
Posts: 3779
Location: Mitchell, SD
Post 
TrenchGoon wrote:
"I miss you more,
than Michael Bay missed the mark when he made Pearl Harbor"

--Team America: World Police


LOL, Bay has made some real stinkers including two of the worst movies in the last decade (Armageddon and Pearl Harbor). All the more reason to be surprised by Transformers.

I did like The Rock and Bad Boys though. Haven't seen The Island or Bad Boys II.


Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
wang_chi7 wrote:
Haven't seen The Island ....


The Island wouldn't be half as good if Ewan McGregor wasn't as good an actor as he is.

Scarlett Johansson is also in The Island, but she's in half the movies on the big screen, and she isn't either a great actress or all that great looking. She does a good job in the film though.

Alas, even McGregor could not save the Star Wars epic from being taken into the muck.

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:00 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am
Posts: 3515
Post 
Those new starwars movies are really god awful.

I suspect you'll have argument about scarlett johansson (sp?) not being all that good looking, but it won't come from me.


Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:40 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 am
Posts: 3779
Location: Mitchell, SD
Post 
TrenchGoon wrote:
Those new starwars movies are really god awful.

I suspect you'll have argument about scarlett johansson (sp?) not being all that good looking, but it won't come from me.


I liked Episode III quite a bit. I liked II the first time I saw it but don't like it now. Episode I is just terrible.

I would rank the SW movies as:
1. Empire
2. New Hope
(distant) 3. Revenge of Sith
4. tie- Jedi and Ep. II
5. Episode I

As you can see I didn't care much for Jedi either; if I'm going to watch a Star Wars movie its definitely going to be Empire or the original. I might watch the others every few years.


Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 am
Posts: 7416
Location: Vikingland Minnesota
Post 
wang_chi7 wrote:
I liked Episode III quite a bit. I liked II the first time I saw it but don't like it now. Episode I is just terrible.

I would rank the SW movies as:
1. Empire
2. New Hope
(distant) 3. Revenge of Sith
4. tie- Jedi and Ep. II
5. Episode I

As you can see I didn't care much for Jedi either; if I'm going to watch a Star Wars movie its definitely going to be Empire or the original. I might watch the others every few years.


That's about it, but the original Star Wars was the best of them - until Lucas decided the mess it up with his Special Edition.

Attack of the Clones was good when it was covering the Clone Wars.

Did I mention I am a member of the Jar Jar Binks Must Die fan club. :jedi:

_________________
We come from the land of the ice and snow .... :smilevike:


Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:10 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:57 am
Posts: 3779
Location: Mitchell, SD
Post 
Minniman wrote:
wang_chi7 wrote:
I liked Episode III quite a bit. I liked II the first time I saw it but don't like it now. Episode I is just terrible.

I would rank the SW movies as:
1. Empire
2. New Hope
(distant) 3. Revenge of Sith
4. tie- Jedi and Ep. II
5. Episode I

As you can see I didn't care much for Jedi either; if I'm going to watch a Star Wars movie its definitely going to be Empire or the original. I might watch the others every few years.


That's about it, but the original Star Wars was the best of them - until Lucas decided the @%#%*$ it up with his Special Edition.

Attack of the Clones was good when it was covering the Clone Wars.

Did I mention I am a member of the Jar Jar Binks Must Die fan club. :jedi:


LOL about Jar Jar, how do I sign up?

I think Empire is a top 5 movie of all time. Its nearly a perfect movie. A New Hope is great also, but not in its class.

I was excited to hear the original theatrical versions of the trilogy were coming on DVD finally, then I found out they aren't anamorphic (therefore not enhanced for widescreen TV's) which makes them a waste for me. I still don't own them on DVD and no longer have the VHS tapes either.

Lucas really wants people to watch the SE versions, they are watchable but just not the same. I don't despise them like many people, but then again I'm not a fanatic.


Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:19 pm
Profile
Commissioner

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:24 pm
Posts: 23761
Post 
I actually didnt mind the new movies so much...I think people went in expecting the magic lucas pulled off with the original trilogy, and it wasnt even near that. But it did a solid job of explaining what led up to it, and was entertaining. I enjoyed Ep. III if only because it's one of the few movies, especially in the genre, where the bad guys actually win.


Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:38 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.